211 replies to this topic

#121 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Shanahan potted 40 at 37.

He also scored 29 goals in 67 games (a 36 goal pace over 82 games) and 62 points (almost a point per game) for the Rangers as a 38 yr. old

#122 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Ok, stay with me here.  Mule, Flip, and a 2nd rounder for Iginla.  Stick with me.  Then we flip Iginla, Dekeyser, and a 1st for Leino!!!  BINGO, BANGO, BONGO BABY!  JUCKf****** POT!!!

#123 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

It's doubtful he will ever be as good as Iginla was. Iginla is a future HoFer. He may never be as good as Iginla is now, but he is someone who will be a good player for many years to come.

So you would rather have a solid player for years to come than have a player who can score 30 on mediocre to crappy teams?  Iginla may be "old" but he's got a few 30 goal years left.  What's more is the style of game he plays: the Wings don't have that dimension.  Solid players are great, you need guys like Cleary, Abdelkader, Helm, etc.  But (with the exception of Helm) there are way more of them than Iginla's.  Your opinion and defense of Nyquist over Iginla is fine, I'm not saying that, but in my mind it's absolutely worth it to get rid of a 3/2nd line tweener who will be solid for years if it gets us 2 or 3 years of dangerous offense.  Like people have said, he could replace Filpulla at Flip's desired 5 million and be a much stronger addition than Flip.  I think sometimes we get so caught up on long-term stability that we forget stability can sometimes only make you mediocre.  We all want to be good for a decade, but if we're constantly hoping that we'll be good "in the future" we never will be.  Nyquist will be good, but right now I don't think he'll ever be a franchise-type player.  So he's expendable in the right circumstances.

If we trade players that could be the next guys to carry this team after Datsyuk and Zetterberg leave for a 35 year old player, rental or not, we don't have much of a future.  Like I said before, we're not one player away from a Cup here.  How much of an impact is Iginla going to have in Detroit while the team is in this transition phase?  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him in Detroit, but his best years are behind him.  Power forwards play a more physical kind of hockey, he won't last into his 40's like Lidstrom.  

Again, I like Nyquist and he will be good for us.  But we need to win now because there are too many variables that could keep us from winning Cups in the future, talented prospects or not.  All we need is 2 or 3 years.  Iginla could shift from scoring threat to Bertuzzi-like player if he declines so fast.  Teams need those, too.  You don't get anywhere with pure youth.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#124 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

So you would rather have a solid player for years to come than have a player who can score 30 on mediocre to crappy teams?  Iginla may be "old" but he's got a few 30 goal years left.  What's more is the style of game he plays: the Wings don't have that dimension.  Solid players are great, you need guys like Cleary, Abdelkader, Helm, etc.  But (with the exception of Helm) there are way more of them than Iginla's.  Your opinion and defense of Nyquist over Iginla is fine, I'm not saying that, but in my mind it's absolutely worth it to get rid of a 3/2nd line tweener who will be solid for years if it gets us 2 or 3 years of dangerous offense.  Like people have said, he could replace Filpulla at Flip's desired 5 million and be a much stronger addition than Flip.  I think sometimes we get so caught up on long-term stability that we forget stability can sometimes only make you mediocre.  We all want to be good for a decade, but if we're constantly hoping that we'll be good "in the future" we never will be.  Nyquist will be good, but right now I don't think he'll ever be a franchise-type player.  So he's expendable in the right circumstances.

Again, I like Nyquist and he will be good for us.  But we need to win now because there are too many variables that could keep us from winning Cups in the future, talented prospects or not.  All we need is 2 or 3 years.  Iginla could shift from scoring threat to Bertuzzi-like player if he declines so fast.  Teams need those, too.  You don't get anywhere with pure youth.

Actually I'm all for getting Iginla, he is exactly what we need to be a top Cup contender. Iginla is definitely better than Nyquist NOW and more importantly he is someone who brings some size strength and toughness and can play in the top 6' something we don't have, Nyquist is a small finesse forward, something we have an abundance of already on the team and the farm

Edited by Johnz96, 25 March 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#125 scotzman

scotzman

Ramblin' Scotzman

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

We really need a player like Iginla... he's tough and can score. Just imagining him playing with Datsyuk is amazing! If Abdelkader can score a hat trick against a really good Ducks team, imagine what Iginla could do.

Who do we have that plays with a bit of an edge and has some talent to boot?

Cleary has been in decline. Bert can't stay healthy. Sammy is not the guy. Franzen has been horrible this year.

You have guys like Miller, Abs & Cleary filling key spots on scoring lines... that is crazy with some of the talented players we have to distribute the puck. Z, Pavs & Flip are decent centers just begging for a few talented wingers.

Dump a few picks and a prospect for the opportunity to see Iggy play with Dats...

Red Wing Fan since 1976

#126 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,528 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Dump a few picks and a prospect for the opportunity to see Iggy play with Dats...

I wish it were that easy.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#127 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

I wish it were that easy.

They're actually asking for a couple of prospects and a pick

#128 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,528 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

They're actually asking for a couple of prospects and a pick

Anything in particular for prospects?

I'm guessing a 1st rounder.

Seems alot for a few months rental.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#129 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Anything in particular for prospects?

I'm guessing a 1st rounder.

Seems alot for a few months rental.

They won't get 2 top prospects and 1st rounder for a 35 yr old rental no matter how good he is/was

#130 scotzman

scotzman

Ramblin' Scotzman

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

So here's the real question then... what would people be willing to give up to see a real scoring winger play alongside Pavel?

Edited by scotzman, 25 March 2013 - 05:12 PM.

Red Wing Fan since 1976

#131 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

I pass on Iginla based on what the asking price seems to be I'd rather target a younger guy that has years ahead of him and has established himself in this league. Maybe look to target Clarkson, Horton, etc. in the offseason. I love Iginla, but I'd rather keep our prospect pool and current players intact. 

So here's the real question then... what would people be willing to give up to see a real scoring winger play alongside Pavel? 

FOr a young(ish) big tough winger I would give up a decent package. Would be willing t give u some of our top prospects/picks/Franzen/Filpulla.

Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#132 scotzman

scotzman

Ramblin' Scotzman

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

...and just to add to that question, who in the Wings organization do we have ready to fill that role? Quickly too, since it seems Pavel is headed home at the end of 2014.

All this to say, you have Pavel, Zetterberg and Flip right now. You are about to possibly lose two of them in the next two years. Maybe it's time for a couple bold moves to take another shot at the Cup.

Kenny didn't do enough last year (or the year before really) and Lidstrom must've known that things weren't going to get better, because he could've continued to play if there was a "chance" at another Cup.

Red Wing Fan since 1976

#133 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

...and just to add to that question, who in the Wings organization do we have ready to fill that role? Quickly too, since it seems Pavel is headed home at the end of 2014.

One can only hope that one of our prospect develops into what Pavel brings to this team, however I do not see any sure things right now, for that reason I would have really looked to pursue Getzlaf had he not resigned.

Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#134 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

I wouldn't start negotiations here but as high as something like
Nyquist/Kindl, Frk/Sheahan and a 2nd (conditional to Iginla re-signing with the Wings) for Iginla and a 3rd (conditional to Iginla not re-signing with the Wings)?

#135 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

They won't get 2 top prospects and 1st rounder for a 35 yr old rental no matter how good he is/was

Apparently Iginla has told Calgary he'll only accept a trade if he can reach an agreement with the team he's going to on a contract.

So he's not really a rental, he wants at least a few years wherever he lands.

#136 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

I'd do something like Kindl, Mursak or maybe Tatar IF Calgary sweetens the deal by adding a second rounder. Which will easily not be enough to get Iginla.

The trade-deadline prices this year are ridiculous, if this continues I really pray for Holland to stay pat and not messing up the future. Names like Nyquist, Smith, 1 2013 should be absolutely no-gos from a Wings perspective.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#137 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Apparently Iginla has told Calgary he'll only accept a trade if he can reach an agreement with the team he's going to on a contract.

So he's not really a rental, he wants at least a few years wherever he lands.

I didn't know that. Apparently Calgary is asking for 2 prospects and a pick
How about something like Nyquist/Kindl, Frk/Sheahan and a 2nd then?
Would it be enough? Woud you do it?

One can only hope that one of our prospect develops into what Pavel brings to this team, however I do not see any sure things right now, for that reason I would have really looked to pursue Getzlaf had he not resigned.

Not very likely. He is considered by some (myself included) as the best hockey player in the world but if any of them get close to being as good that will be great.

#138 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

Filppula cause he wants 5 mil to re-sign, Quincey, White, Cleary and if that's not enough, then add Mule into the mix.   :bye1: That should free up some roster space.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#139 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Depends on what scoring winger you're talking about.  Iginla is on the market, so is Gaborik and Stafford, and there's some speculation that Loui Ericsson and Chris Stewart are too.  All of them are scoring wingers, and all three would demand different returns.  The same is true of every other winger on the market

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#140 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

I would prefer Boyle + Stafford, probably would not have to give up as much

Considering that we're moving to the East, I wonder if we could pick up Boyle. I really think getting a top 4 puck-moving defenseman would make arguably as much of an impact here as almost anyone we could get would. We've played a style that demands good, puck moving defenseman for ao long and now were short on them...Boyle would have to come cheaper than Iginla too.