• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest esmeralda575

Mr Holland.....

Rate this topic

Teams are businesses. That's one reason why Holland is unwilling to trade away future assets: it's better business for a team to remai ncompetitive but not good enough to win it all than it is for teams to go far sometimes and tank the rest.

Exactly, if I allowed my teritory to to slip each year & I couldn't demonstrate that I was looking at my businesess in new ways & had a strategy to improve it & didn't execute any meaningful changes within three years. I would be gone. It is a business.

Guest Crymson

Exactly, if I allowed my teritory to to slip each year & I couldn't demonstrate that I was looking at my businesess in new ways & had a strategy to improve it & didn't execute any meaningful changes within three years. I would be gone. It is a business.

The business is doing just fine.

I don't think that Mike Ilitch is fully aware of much that's going on around him, sadly. Age has taken its toll.

Do you have a source for that?

He certainly looks physically frail but isn't he still giving interviews?

You've been awfully quick to call him senile and a drunk, but I haven't heard anything about dementia or whatever it is you're implying. Wondering if I've missed something as I don't live in Detroit anymore so I don't follow the local news there.

Do you have a source for that?

He certainly looks physically frail but isn't he still giving interviews?

You've been awfully quick to call him senile and a drunk, but I haven't heard anything about dementia or whatever it is you're implying. Wondering if I've missed something as I don't live in Detroit anymore so I don't follow the local news there.

so what if he is drunk, what difference does that make to anyone? the guy is an 85 year old billionaire, maybe he just wants to eat a hot n ready, have some beers and watch the tigers, who cares

Anyone who thinks trading for Gaborik would be a mistake is a fool. He would instantly be our second best goal scorer on the team, if not the best. Wings needed someone exactly like him.

Is it just me, or has Holland not made a signifcant move since signing Hossa? I mean come on, almost every single player on the roster has been drafted by the Wings.

The business is doing just fine.

If becoming less significant, selling less merch (globally), drawing less in other arenas (compared to last 10 years), less attractive to free agents and being less competative is the definition of doing fine you have no concept of determining any business's health. Cheers to you & to having enough time (clearly not being intimate with any business) to do another 10,000.00 posts.

I don't think that Mike Ilitch is fully aware of much that's going on around him, sadly. Age has taken its toll.

Mike is completely aware. Critique the teams performance, vent about your dissipointment it's all well and good. We all appreciate th Wings and or hockey in general but to be so personally insulting about someone that has contributed to Hockey and fans of Detroit hockey is irresponsible. It's too bad.

If Holland stands pat at this deadline, then I'm joining the "Fire Holland" crowd.

Welcome to the club

Fire Holland? Fire Battman, Fire this, fire that.... HA!

If Detroit Red Wings or/and the league itself, are to be managed by majority vote on this board or any other group of random people for that matter, there would be no NHL, no Red Wings.... and no this board :)

Move on!

Edited by ami

Seems to be we need to follow everyone else's formula to get good players: tank for four to five years to get your core players then add role players around them. Obviously Ken doesn't wanna give up anyone in trades and can't seem to lure in big time FA's anymore.

I'd like to see a reporter ask Holland what his definition of 'transition' year is.

Because to me, that definition isn't 'lets let all of our talent age and leave while we hope somebody we drafted becomes a superstar.'

To transition, you need to get help. You don't just hope your young players getting good barely overlaps with your good players getting bad.

I agreed that rentals weren't the way to go, buy how could Gaborik not have helped in a transition? Pominville?

Our prospects are good, but we will be very lucky if one of them turns into a star. So most likely outcome is we will have a solid team for years, but without trades and UFA signings we won't be a great one.

I'm baffled by standing pat this year. Last year made sense, but this just reeks of a missed opportunity. It was a good deadline for a lot of teams. These windows don't open often in the new NHL. Is the UFA class so great this summer?

I'm baffled by standing pat this year. Last year made sense, but this just reeks of a missed opportunity. It was a good deadline for a lot of teams. These windows don't open often in the new NHL. Is the UFA class so great this summer?

I'd say most teams did pretty well, by either adding players or getting rid of guys that take up salary. I can't believe the Wings were one of very few teams that didn't do anything. The FA class this summer definitely got worse now that Perry and Getzlaf were extended in Anaheim. Here's the list for you if you care to look: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents

I'd say most teams did pretty well, by either adding players or getting rid of guys that take up salary. I can't believe the Wings were one of very few teams that didn't do anything. The FA class this summer definitely got worse now that Perry and Getzlaf were extended in Anaheim. Here's the list for you if you care to look: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents

Wow, that's pretty much just a list of 3rd and 4th liners and 5th and 6th defensemen. Awesome. Can't wait to not acquire a scoring winger in the offseason as well. Thank god Nyquist is the answer to that problem...oh wait...nevermind.

I don't think the Wings ever planned to be active in the FA market this offseason, with the cap dropping the only way we could afford to sign anyone is by buying someone out.

I think the team we will ice next season will be almost exactly the same as this seasons with the only differences being Cleary, Miller and White out and a couple of our prospects getting regular shifts.

I don't think the Wings ever planned to be active in the FA market this offseason, with the cap dropping the only way we could afford to sign anyone is by buying someone out.

I think the team we will ice next season will be almost exactly the same as this seasons with the only differences being Cleary, Miller and White out and a couple of our prospects getting regular shifts.

Yippie... Clarkson or Horton would be nice though. Other than that there isn't anything to get excited about.