Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

Sammy is claiming injury so he can't be bought out according to freep

#62 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

Maybe because he knew signing players wasn't going to make a difference?  Maybe he wanted to give the kids a chance?  Maybe he didn't have the go-ahead to trade away assets for players like Iginla, Murray, Morrow, Jagr, Clowe, etc.     ...that all worked out in the end anyway, huh?

I understand the frustration behind the "HE DOESN'T DO ANYTHING" mentality... but we have a team that consistently makes the playoffs and doesn't draft high.   WTF DO YOU WANT?! 

oh right... We Want The Cup.

So by your logic, he purposely signs players like Samuelsson to a 3M per year deal WITH no trade clause......Tootoo for 2M a year (wouldn't have gotten more then 1M with any other team) who was scratched a lot of the season and all of the playoffs......because he knew it wouldn't make a difference? 

Guess you can't really argue with that. God knows they sure as hell didn't make a difference and I guess that.....was.....Holland's.....plan? 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#63 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

I am so confused by our roster right now.  Colaiacovo played well (when he wasn't injured, obviously) and gets bought out, leaving us with 7 defensemen.

We don't buy out any forwards, re-sign Miller and plan on re-signing Cleary and Brunner.  Including Andersson, Nyquist and Tatar that gives us 16 forwards and we STILL can't properly fill the top 2 lines. 

Lovely.

#64 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

Yes and then lately get's ousted in the 1st or 2nd round

Understood.  Even acknowledged. (See: Last sentence of my last post)

I understand it's an internet sports forum but people just bring me down and I get feisty when people ***** and moan about how horrible this team is managed, coached, on the ice, etc.

Do I think re-signing Clears is the best option?  HELL NO.  Do I understand why a guy like that might be re-signed?  YES.

Do I want change and think there are better options? YES.  Do I understand what keeping on a proven player might mean to a team? YES.

...but am I going to act like the sky is falling, that I know better than a man who's worked for (how many?!) years in the league, that doesn't sign players to ridiculous contracts only to buy them out a couple years latter because they were s***ty signings in the first place... I mean, I could go on and on. Literally. 

We don't have Feaster, we don't have Snow, we don't have Gillis, we don't have Sather, we don't have Holmgren...

Whatever happened to the lovely LGW fav: "In Kenny We Trust" ?? 

Oh. Right. 

It was replaced by: <sarcasm>"We like our team." </sarcasm>

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#65 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

Maybe because he knew signing players wasn't going to make a difference?  Maybe he wanted to give the kids a chance?  Maybe he didn't have the go-ahead to trade away assets for players like Iginla, Murray, Morrow, Jagr, Clowe, etc.     ...that all worked out in the end anyway, huh?

I understand the frustration behind the "HE DOESN'T DO ANYTHING" mentality... but we have a team that consistently makes the playoffs and doesn't draft high.   WTF DO YOU WANT?! 

oh right... We Want The Cup.

Then why re-sign Cleary?  There goes Tatar's spot, and $3 mil?  That has to be a typo.  That's absurd for a guy on the decline who has been injured for 3 years.  I'm ok with not getting Lecavalier, Horton, Clarkson, even Weiss or Ryder, but I do not want Cleary taking up a kids roster spot that provides more offence, spark and can grind out an 82 game schedule.  Sometimes it's just time to move on.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#66 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

Why don't you guys let it play out first, before making judgements.

#67 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

I am so confused by our roster right now.  Colaiacovo played well (when he wasn't injured, obviously) and gets bought out, leaving us with 7 defensemen.

We don't buy out any forwards, re-sign Miller and plan on re-signing Cleary and Brunner.  Including Andersson, Nyquist and Tatar that gives us 16 forwards and we STILL can't properly fill the top 2 lines. 

Lovely.

Apparently Kenny was supposed to trade someone.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#68 datterberg1340

datterberg1340

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

Lovely.

I almost would rather have seen Quincey bought out, if Colo weren't so injury prone; Quincey's cap hit is higher not to mention he has been a huge disappointment thus far, he provides almost nothing offensively and is not physical enough, especially for a guy who's supposed to be in the top-4 and being paid the 2nd most among our d-men

as for the forwards, we can only hope Holland at least has some sort of contingency plan to get us to the 14 forwards the team plans to carry; I just hope he picks the right 14

#69 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

Sammy is claiming injury so he can't be bought out according to freep

Where are you reading this? We claimed he was healthy. So he's going to fight the team? Does he think he's going to get playing time that way? Or another overpriced contract after pulling this?

#70 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

Oh you just stop it right there with that patience and rational thinking there, sir! 

Anger!  Rage!  Confusion!  Hands thrown in air! 

These are the things that LGW demands! 

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#71 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Oh you just stop it right there with that patience and rational thinking there, sir! 

Anger!  Rage!  Confusion!  Hands thrown in air! 

These are the things that LGW demands! 

I save that for the Detroit Lions forum :lol:

#72 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

Also, didn't St.James say Vinny was going to Dallas?

Is she usually reliable ?

#73 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

Fine whatever, now what about Sammy?

#74 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

I hope you're referring to the free agency process and not the lineup we have, because we've seen that play out already.

#75 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

Commentary for Cleary:

Cleary skates down the left boards, trips over centre ice line, collects himself and continues down the boards.  He hits the blue line with mediocre speed and gets the puck as close as he can to his favorite shooting are, top of the circle, puck literally touching the boards, and he sends a wrister to the net......bread basket!  We never saw that coming!

Don't forget the trusty once in a while breakaway where he manages to shoot the puck into the corner despite nobody near him  ;)

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#76 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

Don't forget the trusty once in a while breakaway where he manages to shoot the puck into the corner despite nobody near him  ;)

Or the wide open lane to the net back pass to the slot to a guy in double coverage.  I loved that one. 

#77 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

An acquaintance of mine created a Dan Cleary Drinking Game, one of the rules state that you must finish your drink whenever Dan Cleary scores a goal.

Through the grapevine Dan Cleary somehow heard about this game and sent all of them glasses and autographed photos that said, "Drink up".

hahahaha say swear! that's great

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#78 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

Fire Ken Holland now. He stinks.

#79 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Did you notice my Hampus Melen viking watermelon banana horn avatar pic?

HAHA....I distracted him!

Seriously though, we need to cut Cleary out of the equation.  He's just eating a kids roster spot.  We don't want Lecavalier for 5 years, but we'll keep Cleary for 3 at twice the salary he's worth at this point and then in the same breath say that in a year or 2 Jurco, Sheahan and Ferraro will be Red Wings?  It's not so much making judgements at this point, it's trying to figure out the jigsaw puzzle that Holland is trying to make this lineup.  He wants a youth movement, but he keeps going back to the old comfortable pair of underwear, though it's full of holes.

#80 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,098 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

Cleary at $3 million for 3 years but we can't do $4.5 million for five years for Lecavalier? I get why people defend Holland, but seriously? Seriously? We'll pay a guy who spends half his ice time on his knees $3 million for 3 more years because we're worried about the "pace" of a guy who's ten times the player Cleary ever was?

tumblr_mflwhkRbpl1qixh1oo1_500.png

-Elliot...does not panic.