Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

So.. what are our expectations for this roster?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

I'm guessing that we're more or less done - after resigning Nyquist, Andersson and Smith...and, likely, buying out or moving Samuelsson to get us under the cap.

What do we think?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m) 
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) 
Gustav Nyquist ($1.875m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.875m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) 
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) 
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / 
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) 
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) 
Brendan Smith ($1.875m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m) 
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / 
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m) 
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m) 
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m) 
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,094,545; BONUSES: $3,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $215,455

Forwards:

...I don't watch a ton of non-wings hockey.  But my guy who watches just about every game in the league L-O-V-E-S, loves Stephen Weiss.  He's been talking about him being a Wing for years.  The early reports I've read all sound great too.  I'm excited.  I think we've finally got our second line center.  Enables us to play Pav and Hank together full-time, which is big.  Not sure how the rest of the top six - Alfie, Mule and Abby (or Bert?  I hope not) - is organized.  But I think our top six will be markedly better as a whole.  That third line that was so great in the post-season is still more or less in tact, with Tatar in for Brunner.  I like that.  Helm being back would be a big boost.  Miller, Bert, Eaves, Tootoo.  Shouldn't be terrible.

Defensivel
y:

...Should be better here as well.  DD back full-time is enormous.  Smith, Kindl (and Lashoff too) with a 
year under their belt.  Quincey with a year back under his belt.  Kronner and E with a year of no Lidstrom under their belt.  Should be a better year for these guys.

...And Jimm
y.  Last year was big for his confidence, I think.  He thinks of himself as an elite goaltender now.  And that can't hurt.

QUESTIONS FOR THE BOARD:

How is this squad going to compete with the Boston's, Pittsburgh's, etc. of the big bad East?  What are our biggest weaknesses, as you see them?  Is there any hope for alleviating said weaknesses before the post-season?

#2 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:09 AM

With your lines? Or with how Babcock will use them?

Abby was in the top 6 because DAT wants him. So why would he be on second line?

#3 Lazerbeam

Lazerbeam

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:26 AM

I'm guessing that we're more or less done - after resigning Nyquist, Andersson and Smith...and, likely, buying out or moving Samuelsson to get us under the cap.

What do we think?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m) 
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) 
Gustav Nyquist ($1.875m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.875m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) 
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) 
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / 
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) 
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) 
Brendan Smith ($1.875m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m) 
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / 
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m) 
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m) 
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m) 
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,094,545; BONUSES: $3,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $215,455

Forwards:

...I don't watch a ton of non-wings hockey.  But my guy who watches just about every game in the league L-O-V-E-S, loves Stephen Weiss.  He's been talking about him being a Wing for years.  The early reports I've read all sound great too.  I'm excited.  I think we've finally got our second line center.  Enables us to play Pav and Hank together full-time, which is big.  Not sure how the rest of the top six - Alfie, Mule and Abby (or Bert?  I hope not) - is organized.  But I think our top six will be markedly better as a whole.  That third line that was so great in the post-season is still more or less in tact, with Tatar in for Brunner.  I like that.  Helm being back would be a big boost.  Miller, Bert, Eaves, Tootoo.  Shouldn't be terrible.

Defensivel
y:

...Should be better here as well.  DD back full-time is enormous.  Smith, Kindl (and Lashoff too) with a 
year under their belt.  Quincey with a year back under his belt.  Kronner and E with a year of no Lidstrom under their belt.  Should be a better year for these guys.

...And Jimm
y.  Last year was big for his confidence, I think.  He thinks of himself as an elite goaltender now.  And that can't hurt.

QUESTIONS FOR THE BOARD:

How is this squad going to compete with the Boston's, Pittsburgh's, etc. of the big bad East?  What are our biggest weaknesses, as you see them?  Is there any hope for alleviating said weaknesses before the post-season?

OK, people got get this straight before they post, I am sick of seeing this all over the forums---Samuelsson CANNOT be bought out now, the period for Compliance Buyouts ended June 30. ALSO-Sammy has a NTC=NO TRADE CLAUSE. Third- if they Waive him his Salary of $3Mil STILL COUNTS AGAINST THE CAP because he is OVER 35-unless someone claims him.

#4 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

Expectations? Hmm... 1st or 2nd round exit of the playoffs.

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#5 PuckY18

PuckY18

Prospect

• 40 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

It should be to win the cup since that is why Alfredsson signed here.

Edited by PuckY18, 07 July 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#6 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

I expect more goal scoring and for the young guys to either step up their game or have a bit of an adjustment period (still).  As for where the Wings end up in the standings or playoffs, that's never a sure thing to predict so I'll just say that I'll enjoy watching this new version of the roster!

#7 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

I expect a trip to the finals.

Posted Image

#8 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

This is LGW, so anything short of going 82-0-0 and then a 16-0 run to the cup, coupled with a league record in fighting majors and trading Cleary for the 1st overall pick in 2014 will be an unmitigated disaster which can only be resolved by the instant dismissal of Holland and Babcock

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#9 mule

mule

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

Eastern Conference Finals.

I believe if we add a top 4 defenceman at some point during the year we will win the cup.

I'm nervous about it being an Olympic year. Looking at the Wings roster, it is likely that we will have roughly 8 players in the tournament. That's a lot of hockey to be played and injuries could definetly become a huge factor again next year. 

Sweden: Franzen, Zetterberg, Alfredsson, Kronwall, Ericsson

Russia: Datsyuk

Czech Republic: Kindl

Slovakia: Tatar

USA: Howard (backup)

#10 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

Judging by what has happened so far:

IN
Alfredsson + Weiss

OUT
Fils + Brunner + Colaiacovo

NEEDS
grit, size + top pairing guy + enforcer

I would say Weiss is an upgrade ove Filpulla. In terms of Alfredsson it needs to be seen, what he can provide at this point in his career. The young guns (Dekeyser, Smith, Nyquist and Tatar) now have gained a bit of experience and should take a step forward, although Dekeyser hasn't played a lot. I am looking forward to the pairing of Dekeyser + Smith should be a really good one for years to come.

Wings are still without a top pairing guy I think Kronwall has shown, what he really is a great second pairing guy who *should* focus on his shutdown role instead of trying to run the powerplay like a quarterback that's not his job and personally I feel it is asking too much from Kronner.

Compared to last year I think, the team has slightly improved but not enough to consider them that much better than last year. So given the status quo I'd say they are for sure a contender, but only for the playoffs and not for the cup. Replacing a pure goalscorer is not an easy task...

Edited by frankgrimes, 07 July 2013 - 08:52 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#11 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Cup or bust. They could've won it this year, or at least made Finals. Now they are better, deeper, and more dynamic up front. Plus, going to a new Conference in which there are very few real threats. Finals at the very least, but after a few years' hiatus I'm thinking championship.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#12 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

What line did Sammy play on in Florida?

Edited by Rivalred, 07 July 2013 - 09:52 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#13 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

So even if they waive Sammy and bury him in Toledo the cap hit is still there?

Edited to remove a comment that was in poor taste. Apologies to those it may have offended.

Edited by TheXym, 07 July 2013 - 11:31 AM.

It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#14 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

I believe Alfies cap hit is just over 3 million. The bonuses he signed would be implied for next year if he reaches them

#15 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

As of now I expect them to make the playoffs much easier that this past season or at least should, and predicting the playoffs is too much of a crapshoot.

#16 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

Post deleted

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk, 07 July 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#17 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

If Sammy is placed on LTIR, does his salarry count against the cap?

This seems so stupid.

Place Sammy and Bert on LTIR.
Trade Tootoo.
Resign Cleary.
Resign the 3 RFAs.

Done.

#18 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

expectations? cup

#19 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

So even if they waive Sammy and bury him in Toledo the cap hit is still there? Maybe we should start a fund to hire Richard Gnida to give Sammy a limo ride to LTIR him.

Yes the cap hit is still there since he's a 35 player.

And I'll ignore the dumb limo ride comment.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#20 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

I don't know what line Sammy played on in Florida, but wonder what the odds were that he was centered by Weiss who now signed with the Wings

And if there was any chemistry there, what are the chances it would happen again

Edited by Rivalred, 07 July 2013 - 11:06 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1