• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

National teams in soccer put stars in their emblem for the amount of world cups they've won. Do you think it would be cool if hockey teams had a Big star for 10 cups and a little star for 1 cup in their logos? I think that would be kinda cool.

#2 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

I'm not into soccer at all, so it leaves me kind of underwhelmed.  I'm sure if it had some significance for me, it would be cool.

Maybe this means that each sport should cultivate its own traditions, which mean something in that sport, rather than using another sport's ideas.

#3 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

I'm not into soccer at all, so it leaves me kind of underwhelmed.  I'm sure if it had some significance for me, it would be cool.

Maybe this means that each sport should cultivate its own traditions, which mean something in that sport, rather than using another sport's ideas.

Good call

#4 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

National teams in soccer put stars in their emblem for the amount of world cups they've won. Do you think it would be cool if hockey teams had a Big star for 10 cups and a little star for 1 cup in their logos? I think that would be kinda cool.

No

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#5 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

We got diving and embellishing from soccer, don't want anything else.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#6 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Soccer can have their stars.. we have banners.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#7 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

I have a simple rule:

if it comes from soccer = immediate ignore this sport used to be so much better but nowadays it has fully sold out and is unwatchable. Sadly, it is really big overseas :I

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#8 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, regardless of what haters say.

That said, I'm a big soccer fan, yet I've never really cared for the stars that much.  It's the knowledge of a team's history and tradition that makes them special.  You don't need to wear stars to tell everyone you have a great history.  Everyone knows Brazil has dominated international soccer, because they're Brazil, not because people see the stars and count them.

Same with hockey.  You don't need to see how many stars Montreal has to know they've dominated NHL history.  You just know it as a student of the game and its history.     

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#9 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

That said, I'm a big soccer fan, yet I've never really cared for the stars that much.  It's the knowledge of a team's history and tradition that makes them special.  You don't need to wear stars to tell everyone you have a great history.  Everyone knows Brazil has dominated international soccer, because they're Brazil, not because people see the stars and count them.

Same with hockey.  You don't need to see how many stars Montreal has to know they've dominated NHL history.  You just know it as a student of the game and its history.     

Hey, Italy is just as good as Brazil :(

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

Hey, Italy is just as good as Brazil :(

Yep.  Their history as a soccer powerhouse is rich as well.  

But as a fan, I don't need to count their stars to know that.  

#11 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

Is there any evidence to that? I know it is big but the biggest? I used to be pa fan too but after the so called Bosman case I have literally stopped following the Pro leagues, because it is the same everywhere: clubs are selling their souls to shady investors, less and less homegrown talents foreign Gm's acting arrogant against fans while kissing the rear end of some suits and the same 3clubs as champions league favorites every year.

Although I agree the history defines a club not the stars on the chest. Worldwide I would think Baseball and even Football are still biggper.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

Is there any evidence to that? I know it is big but the biggest? I used to be pa fan too but after the so called Bosman case I have literally stopped following the Pro leagues, because it is the same everywhere: clubs are selling their souls to shady investors, less and less homegrown talents foreign Gm's acting arrogant against fans while kissing the rear end of some suits and the same 3clubs as champions league favorites every year. Although I agree the history defines a club not the stars on the chest. Worldwide I would think Baseball and even Football are still biggper.

What?   :eh:

Football and baseball aren't even remotely as popular worldwide than soccer.  What do you mean by bigger?  I define it as popularity.    

Nobody outside of the USA gives a s*** about American football.  Nor should they.  And baseball is only relevant in the USA, Japan, and a bunch of third world Caribbean countries that suck at soccer.

Soccer is by far the most popular team sport in the world.    

I agree with what you said about the problems facing European leagues right now, but that isn't going to remove the sport from its top status.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 18 July 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#13 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

Even though I don't like Soccer, there's not much of an argument to be made about it's worldwide popularity. It is hands down the number one sport on the planet, nothing even comes close to comparison. 

I don't like the idea of any logo alteration but maybe "ticks" on the jersey sleeve or something would be cool. In the military you get a small stripe on the lower left sleeve for every 3 years of service, so maybe something along those lines for each cup won in franchise history. It doesn't have to be all that noticeable or large but something to permanently represent that team's history integrated on the jersey would be interesting.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#14 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

Even though I don't like Soccer, there's not much of an argument to be made about it's worldwide popularity. It is hands down the number one sport on the planet, nothing even comes close to comparison. 

I don't like the idea of any logo alteration but maybe "ticks" on the jersey sleeve or something would be cool. In the military you get a small stripe on the lower left sleeve for every 3 years of service, so maybe something along those lines for each cup won in franchise history. It doesn't have to be all that noticeable or large but something to permanently represent that team's history integrated on the jersey would be interesting.

I think the Islanders had 4 small stripes on their jerseys at one point in the late 90's-early 2000's to represent their four championships.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#15 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

What?   :eh:

Football and baseball aren't even remotely as popular worldwide than soccer.  What do you mean by bigger?  I define it as popularity.    

Nobody outside of the USA gives a s*** about American football.  Nor should they.  And baseball is only relevant in the USA, Japan, and a bunch of third world Caribbean countries that suck at soccer.

Soccer is by far the most popular team sport in the world.    

I agree with what you said about the problems facing European leagues right now, but that isn't going to remove the sport from its top status.  

Baseball and Football are extremely popular in Mexico

#16 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

Baseball and Football are extremely popular in Mexico

Soccer dwarfs them in Mexico. I would bet cricket is ahead of all our sports world wide.

I want stars on hockey jerseys.

#17 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

Don't the Blackhawks add a feather for each win?  Pretty sure Toews adds a mustache hair.

• Nev likes this

#18 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:28 AM

Don't the Blackhawks add a feather for each win?  Pretty sure Toews adds a mustache hair.

Ha ha ha. I hate that guy.

#19 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

This

Soccer dwarfs them in Mexico. I would bet cricket is ahead of all our sports world wide.

And you would be correct, just on the basis of India's 1 billion plus cricket worshipping fanatics.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#20 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:45 AM

If that's the case then Dallas is entirely too proud of their lone cup... 

As for Detroit people might get us confused with the Capitals with the red uniform covered with stars lol

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"