• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ogreslayer

NHL to takeover of NJ around the corner?

Rate this topic

According to Forbes, the NHL will have to take over operations of the Devils when they start cutting payroll checks in September unless a new owner is found before then. So they finally get the Phoenix mess off their hands, temporarily in my opinion, and might have to take over another team almost immediately? Instead of all of the expansion talk to 32 teams, maybe they should really consider contracting down to 28.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2013/08/08/nhl-takeover-of-new-jersey-devils-looming/

So the team that finally broke the '05 CBA (by signing the first Kovalchuk deal), and then put the first crack in the 2013 CBA (by having Kovy retire and getting out of the 2nd Kovalchuk deal), doesn't even have enough money to pay their salaries?

I had heard grumblings that New Jersey was in rough shape financially, but this is pathetic. For a team that's had the caliber of players they've had in the last 25 years, won multiple cups, and is in a metorpolitan area that should draw a ton of hockey interest, you have to be pretty dysfunctional to not make that work. At least when Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, etc. have money problems, people can look at that and go "yeah, I can see how that makes sense".

Oh boy when does league expand, I think adding more teams to the league while others cannot pay for the ones they already have is a great idea!

/sarcasm

I am not even taking into consideration the talent pool being extremely watered down if you add another 40 players to the league (who by the way are currently not good enough to be on a roster)!

Instead of all of the expansion talk to 32 teams, maybe they should really consider contracting down to 28.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2013/08/08/nhl-takeover-of-new-jersey-devils-looming/

I've been saying it... absolutely absurd to talk about expansion when at least half-dozen teams around the league are losing money. The league seems to think the better solution is to add more teams that are viable to prop up the money-pit teams, rather than convert some of the latter to the former through relocation and cut out two of the others through contraction. Is it really any surprise with this kind of lunacy that we've seen 3 lockouts in less than 20 years?

I've been saying it... absolutely absurd to talk about expansion when at least half-dozen teams around the league are losing money. The league seems to think the better solution is to add more teams that are viable to prop up the money-pit teams, rather than convert some of the latter to the former through relocation and cut out two of the others through contraction. Is it really any surprise with this kind of lunacy that we've seen 3 lockouts in less than 20 years?

The solution is simple.

Step 1: lockout to stop big contracts and teams not sharing revenue

Step 2: sign the same huge contracts right after lockout ends

step 3: ???

Step 4: profit...

The solution is simple.

Step 1: lockout to stop big contracts and teams not sharing revenue

Step 2: sign the same huge contracts right after lockout ends

step 3: ???

Step 4: profit...

You forgot step 5, repeat the process in less than 10 years!

Oh boy when does league expand, I think adding more teams to the league while others cannot pay for the ones they already have is a great idea!

/sarcasm

I am not even taking into consideration the talent pool being extremely watered down if you add another 40 players to the league (who by the way are currently not good enough to be on a roster)!

I vote they expand to Yellowknife and San Antonio and then have them in the same division.

When this was all happening with Phoenix, I could personally care less if they relocated, disbanded, or fell from the face of the planet. I think it's a different story with the Devils, they have a rich history in the NHL, they belong and deserve to remain in New Jersey with financial problems aside. If the Devils moved or were cut from the NHL, as a fan, it would sting.

I hope for their sake this financial disaster gets worked out somehow and NJ can remain where they are.

The sad part is they still have a decent roster.

Clowe - Zajac - Jagr

Olesz - Elias - Ryder

Tedenby - Henrique - Loktionov

All of those are candidates for a top 6 position. Zajac and the young guys on the 3rd line are due for good years.

Defense isn't completely poop, and Larsson will be progressing farther.

The funnest part will be watching Schneider and Marty compete for starting time. When was the last time Broduer had real competition?

All in all I think they're a bubble team just like us last year. I think they'll weasel they're way into a low seed

Get ouf off trouble, just to face the next trap..The Devils at least are an established franchise with a proven winner-record there should be a lot of potential owners willing to buy the team. Although what happens if Vanberbeek can't pay and the NHL doesn't want to takeover? Does the team fold?

Get ouf off trouble, just to face the next trap..The Devils at least are an established franchise with a proven winner-record there should be a lot of potential owners willing to buy the team. Although what happens if Vanberbeek can't pay and the NHL doesn't want to takeover? Does the team fold?

http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2013/08/sixers_owner_joshua_harris_com.html

Guest Crymson

So the team that finally broke the '05 CBA (by signing the first Kovalchuk deal), and then put the first crack in the 2013 CBA (by having Kovy retire and getting out of the 2nd Kovalchuk deal), doesn't even have enough money to pay their salaries?

I had heard grumblings that New Jersey was in rough shape financially, but this is pathetic. For a team that's had the caliber of players they've had in the last 25 years, won multiple cups, and is in a metorpolitan area that should draw a ton of hockey interest, you have to be pretty dysfunctional to not make that work. At least when Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, etc. have money problems, people can look at that and go "yeah, I can see how that makes sense".

It isn't easy to compete with the two New York teams.

So, it's still cool to sh** on the Islanders?

Good to know.

When did I s*** on the isles anyway? All I did was merely point out the devils are only really competing with one new York team. Hence why the isles are relocating, because they are bottom dwellers in attendance