• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

Its almost 20 more years of cup drought for these guys. I dont think there's a more underachieving team in hockey. Maple Leafs come in a close 2nd for me, but I think the Rangers take the cake for a team that underutilizes its resourses.

#2 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

The Rangers have had way more talent in recent years. There's really no excuse for their underachieving. When people said the Wings bought their teams I pointed to the Rags, who spent about as much money. It still takes talent to buy a winning team and assemble it.

But Toronto has had talent, too. And being the center of the hockey universe, they are very disappointing, too. Toronto is the bigger embarassment, but the Rangers are the bigger disappointment.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#3 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

How about we start putting a little more context in the thread title, eh?

Anyways, Alain Vigneault might be able to turn this around for them. Sometimes all you need is a change.

#4 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

The Rangers have had way more talent in recent years. There's really no excuse for their underachieving. When people said the Wings bought their teams I pointed to the Rags, who spent about as much money. It still takes talent to buy a winning team and assemble it.

But Toronto has had talent, too. And being the center of the hockey universe, they are very disappointing, too. Toronto is the bigger embarassment, but the Rangers are the bigger disappointment.

The Rangers have talent, yes, and they're just about due to spend a boatload more money on it. Sather has been terrible for that organization.

#5 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

King Henrik deserves better.... What the Rags are lacking is heart...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#6 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

The Maple Leafs and the Canucks and probably Sharks all come to mind before NYR in terms of expectations and actual achievement.

#7 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

Sharks. Every year I look at that team and am like wow they are gonna be loaded. Then they scrap by..

#8 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

The teams they had 10 years ago were a lot more underachieving.  

This team is not as talented as teams like the Hawks, Penguins and Bruins.  Not surprised they haven't won anything.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#9 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Unlike those other teams the Rangers have had a fairly consistent talent level. From 2000 or so until now. Probably earlier, too. I think we are all talking in a general sense of this era of the Rangers, not just the current team or the last three or four years. At least I am.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#10 Copenhagen848

Copenhagen848

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

The Maple Leafs and the Canucks and probably Sharks all come to mind before NYR in terms of expectations and actual achievement.

I was also going to say the Sharks.  They've had the talent and chances, just missing one element.  I personally believe the missing element is "non-douchebaggery"....

#11 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

The Rags have been trapped in a hockey purgatory for the past decade or so. They consistently do well enough to not warrant a rebuild, and have low picks in the draft, but not quite enough talent/heart/whatever to get to the top.

#12 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

The Rangers have been under a terrible GM and under a very bad coach during the last few years, thanks to the CBA they are another team held down by the league. I really thought they didn't give up a lot for Nash but Sather never replaced the depth of this team combine that with Freakarellas style of coaching and the results aren't going to be pretty. Seriously stars like Nash, Richards and Gaborik as shot blockers? That's ridiculous Like someone mentioned Vigneault could really turn this team around, Lundqvist deserves a stanley cup before retiring.

Edited by frankgrimes, 11 August 2013 - 07:02 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#13 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

The Rangers have been under a terrible GM and under a very bad coach during the last few years, thanks to the CBA they are another team held down by the league. I really thought they didn't give up a lot for Nash but Sather never replaced the depth of this team combine that with Freakarellas style of coaching and the results aren't going to be pretty. Seriously stars like Nash, Richards and Gaborik as shot blockers? That's ridiculous Like someone mentioned Vigneault could really turn this team around, Lundqvist deserves a stanley cup before retiring.

Agreed completely, i'm expecting a different team under a new coach. A sharp tongue in New York kept Torts there longer than he should have been and he doesn't fit anywhere as an NHL coach. Expect a big rebound for Brad Richards this season, and that team should be a stronger contender in coming seasons. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#14 Nicholonio

Nicholonio

est. 1989, representin'.

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

Anyways, Alain Vigneault might be able to turn this around for them. Sometimes all you need is a change.

This. I had hopes for John Tortorella since he won a Cup with Tampa Bay and such, but with the team that team had, his coaching style didn't work. Hopefully it does in Vancouver (as much as it pains me to say it), I wish him the best there since he's an American coach. I really like the style AV coaches and I think he'll help out this team and we'll finally see their potential. I mean hell, look at the season a couple years ago when they dominated under JT. Yeah sure it was a different roster, but I believe they upgraded their talent and are a better team now. The NYR are my second favorite team other than the Wings, I want them to win SO bad. And honestly, their Cup drought isn't that bad if you think about it.

#15 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

The teams they had 10 years ago were a lot more underachieving.  

Agreed. Those teams back then had guys like Bure, Lindros, Kovalev, and Leetch, and from what I remember, they didn't make the playoffs in the few years before the lockout.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#16 MrMangs

MrMangs

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:59 AM

Vigenault has his work cut out for him this comming season for sure. Seeing as Rangers, at this moment, only have 6 players contracted thru the 2014/2015 season he need to get som big names to buy into the new system and resign, the biggest name beeing Lundqvist. As far as I have seen in interviews Lundqvist have been non-committant about signing a new long contract.

#17 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

Vigenault has his work cut out for him this comming season for sure. Seeing as Rangers, at this moment, only have 6 players contracted thru the 2014/2015 season he need to get som big names to buy into the new system and resign, the biggest name beeing Lundqvist. As far as I have seen in interviews Lundqvist have been non-committant about signing a new long contract.

Sather does what a lot of Wings fans want Holland to do. Big name free agent? Pay him! Good player available in trade? Get him matter the cost!
  • Nev likes this

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#18 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

Sather does what a lot of Wings fans want Holland to do. Big name free agent? Pay him! Good player available in trade? Get him matter the cost!

The Rangers would have won a cup with babcock behind the bench!
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#19 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Yep, he and Holmgren both.

#20 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

There was a "best before date" on Sather's ability to build winning teams? Who knew?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.