Photo
- - - - -

X Factor Part Deux

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: X Factor

What defender is crucial to this team's success?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

Ok so we did it with the forwards; now lets look at the D

Who is crucial to this teams success?

#2 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

Dekeyser, after he left the Hawks series it was different Wings Defense. 

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#3 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

If Kronwall would have left we wouldn't have had a defense.

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#4 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

While I agree with you, he is also the steadiest most dependable D-man the team has.

So I don't really think of him as an X factor.

But if he sucks ass this year, or gets injured, this team will suck.

To me Kronner is more important than Dats or Z is, mainly because if Dats has a bad year, Z can step up or vice versa, but Kronner really has to be the anchor.

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#5 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

Smith or DeKeyser, either one really.

I'm going with Smith. The Smith we saw this past season was nowhere near what Smith can bring to the fold, even at this early stage.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#6 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

Im taking Kindl. Was starting to break out offensively towards the end of last season. If he can run the 2nd PP, that could be the key to our power play woes. Being able to apply pressure for the entire 2 minutes is the key to me for PP success.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#7 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

He didn't play in the Hawks series at all. I do agree, though. He did leave a noticeable hole.

I went with Ericsson. If he can have a Norris worthy year, then the D will be perfectly fine.

#8 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

He didn't play in the Hawks series at all. I do agree, though. He did leave a noticeable hole.

I went with Ericsson. If he can have a Norris worthy year, then the D will be perfectly fine.

My bad!

#9 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

i think there are several different ways to look at this.

but to me it has to be smith or dekeyser. we need one of them to permanently earn a top 4 spot to solidify the 2nd pairing. the first pairing was good last year. and since both ericsson an kronwall are veterans, there is no reason to think their play will slip significantly. so both just need to play this season like they did last year and our top pairing is solid. additionally, for whoever ends up in the 3rd pairing, they just need to play to that role. much less is expceted. but whoever ends up on the 2nd pairing will need to grow a lot.

because right now we hav 4 guys that all have question marks. quincey has played a lot of top 4 minutes in the nhl, but has just struggled so much since coming back. i am a quincey backer, and he did play well down the stretch last year, but i still worry if he is relied on as the 3rd defenseman. kindl had a great year last year and really showed his offensive side off. but i still worry that defensively he might be best suited for a 3rd pairing role long term. i hope i'm wrong as i really like kindl, but he would have to have another breakout year to legitimately become a 2nd pairing guy. and then smith and dekeyser i lump together. both have tons of upside. smith has yet to really look solid in the nhl, while dekeyser looked great but only for a very small sample size. so while either of them could grow into a legitimate 2nd pairing player (even as fast as this year) it is also possible they both struggle and are on the 3rd pairing or in the case of dekeyser, down in the ahl.

so thats why one of them would have to take it. as they have the biggest ability to make this years D corps a success or failure. personally i voted for smith. because we have seen such a variety in his play. so that makes him the x factor because he out of anyone has the most wide open season for expectations.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#10 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

It's hard to say because frankly them all playing well is crucial to the Wings success this season.  There's somewhat of an x factor up and down the blueline, though less so with Kronner and E. 

I voted Dekeyser though because if he stepped up and played great it could have the biggest change on the defensive corps.  as dobbles said, it could really solidify the second pairing.  

Smith is a close second for me.  

#11 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Im taking Kindl. Was starting to break out offensively towards the end of last season. If he can run the 2nd PP, that could be the key to our power play woes. Being able to apply pressure for the entire 2 minutes is the key to me for PP success.

this is the reason I am going with kindl as well. While I agree that our dmen as a whole are a huge x factor, if kindl keeps improving at the rate he is and carries the pp2, that'd be clutch (esspecially since we had such trouble scoring last season).

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#12 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

Without a doubt Dekeyser is our biggest defensive x-factor. The kid has so much potential, and if he lives up to the expectations he could easily be a game changer for a team that is somewhat lacking on the blue line. I'm still hoping we can snag a top 4 d-man before the trade deadline. But for now Dekeyser could quite possibly move into a #2 spot at some point this season (if not right away).

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#13 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

kindl because dat offense.

#14 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

Smith.  He has to play with confidence and show his undoubted talent.  If he continues to treat the puck like a hand grenade, and panic every time he is forechecked, his NHL career will be short.  Both the ducks and the Hawks realised this and pressured him relentlessly, and the teams in the East will continue to do the same until he learns to calm down.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#15 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Kindl.  Will run the 2nd PP and likely play with DeKeyser so he needs to keep heading in the right direction and help DD out on the blue line if the going gets rough.  He's earned what he's now got on his plate with an awesome job last year.  Time to see if he's legit.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#16 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

I'll be the 1st to admit that I was shocked at how poised he was out there...Hope fully he'll continue where he left off :thumbup:

Agreed.

As much as Danny DeKeyser had impressed me - it's important to realise that Kronner remains our most experienced Dman.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#17 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

Smith. He has the biggest gap between proven ability and potential ability.  If he steps it up, it will completely change the dynamic of our defense.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#18 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

It's Smith for me, but DK is a close 2nd. I actually feel like Kronwall, Ericsson and to a lesser extent Quincey (defensively) and Kindl (offensively) are going to play as expected - Smith and DK are the guys who are going to dictate how much better the team is offensively and/or defensively on the back end. I really hope Smith meets expectations when Babcock "frees" him to play his offensive game.

#19 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

Q. If he's 'on', the D is a lot better.

#20 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

In terms of success  I'd say, oh I don't know...ALL OF THEM?!

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.