• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rrasco

NHLPA approves hybrid icing

Rate this topic

This league is turning into a freaking joke how can the PA approve such a stupid rule? Stop ### the great game of hockey, I already feel sorry for the refs their job just became a lot tougher.

seriously smaller pads, forced visors, hybrid icing what's next? no hitting because some soccer, baseball or basketball fans don't like it? Leave the damn game its rules and tradition alone!

sent from a mobile device autocorrections errors are possible!

I like the rule, it keeps the players somewhat safer from injury. I don't understand some people hating this. I agree the nhl has made some ridiculous rules, but this is not one of them, they won't magically remove hitting from hockey because of this rule. This doesn't slow the game down in any way, in fact it's probably good if your fighting for a goal in the dying seconds, an extra second on the clock could be the difference between overtime and losing

I would like to know why the league can change this rule or the "don't take your helmet off" rule on the fly, but they cannot change the jersey tuck rule?

BTW I love Hybrid icing, saw it last year in college hockey, much safer approach, yet you still have a "race to the puck" so to speak!

The only issue I have is shouldn't have been announced prior to preseason so they could have players could have gotten used to the change, I've only seen highlights of the games so if this was done then please ignore.

They did use the rule in the preseason, so no problem there.

Officials are more of a concern but admittedly that was also the case with the old rule. In fact I see no valid point why this rule shouldn't be introduced. It makes the game safer while maintaining its style. Whish it would be so easy with the hitting-rules.

Edited by derblaueClaus

The only issue I have is shouldn't have been announced prior to preseason so they could have players could have gotten used to the change, I've only seen highlights of the games so if this was done then please ignore.

They tested it during preseason and the NHLPA voted whether to enact it for the regular season. NHLPA voted to approve it, that's what this thread is about.

As is so often the case, the new rule will not be the problem. The problem will be having competent on-ice officials making the call correctly.

Yes, and not only that, any time the offensive player is trailing a race and playing at home, there's going to be a rain of boos from home crowds (well, if they even learn the rule) when the play blows dead. What if it's like Mason Raymond trailing the play and Doug Murray is the defender with position? How far away does Raymond have to be before you can be SURE that he wouldn't catch up and pass Murray?

I don't think there will be many ACTUAL problems or controversies caused by this type of rule. Probably not even as bad as the stupid 2-minute minor for shooting the puck out of play with no pressure whatsoever on you. But why does the league allow discretion on some things (hybrid icing, intent to blow, etc.), but not on a play where the puck hops up on edge and you're required to call a delay of game because of black letter law?

International/college icing is far safer than even hybrid icing and does nothing to harm the game. It's also leaves virtually no room for interpretive error.

I am trying to understand how exactly this works

If the race is close and the offensive team may beat the other player to the puck the play stays alive (correct?)

As far as I see it, this is the scenario where the injuries would happen most, not when the defending team is easily getting to the puck first...

I say either keep it touch icing or go straight to no touch icing...