Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#21 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

USA women's beat Switzerland 9-0. The skill gap in women's hockey is ridiculous ha

The gap is actually closing a bit.  Canada only won 5-0 on the weekend (although they did lead in shots 69-14) and US only beat Finland 3-1....who Canada is currently tied with in the 2nd.

Back in the early days (20s), Canada and US were dominant in the Men's division as well.  US beat Switzerland 29-0 in the first round, then lost to Canada in the semis and Canada then beat Sweden 12-1 in the gold medal game (they had beat Czechoslovakia 15-0 in the first round).  Apparently, it wasn't uncommon to have 30-0 scores back then.

Edit...just checked 1924 Olympics....after the first 3 games, Canada had outscored the competition 85-0.

Edited by toby91_ca, 10 February 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#22 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

The gap is actually closing a bit.  Canada only won 5-0 on the weekend (although they did lead in shots 69-14) and US only beat Finland 3-1....who Canada is currently tied with in the 2nd.

Back in the early days (20s), Canada and US were dominant in the Men's division as well.  US beat Switzerland 29-0 in the first round, then lost to Canada in the semis and Canada then beat Sweden 12-1 in the gold medal game (they had beat Czechoslovakia 15-0 in the first round).  Apparently, it wasn't uncommon to have 30-0 scores back then.

yeah, i did read that the gap is closing which is good.

in my mind it's just like this....

1. USA

2. Canada

3. everyone else

:P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#23 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

USA's entire forward corps looks awesome. Not many pushovers in there. Gonna be some high skilled blue collar hockey outta that group.

#24 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

USA's entire forward corps looks awesome. Not many pushovers in there. Gonna be some high skilled blue collar hockey outta that group.

I am in love with our forward corps. But our blue line...

Don't Toews me, bro!

#25 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

@bcostellothn: Is the caliber of women's hockey improving lately or have I been watching too many Sabres' games this year?

Oh snap

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#26 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

So, what's the schedule looking like? Haven't watched a second of the Olympics yet. Fill me in?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#27 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Schedule.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

...is better than everyone's, except Canada?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#29 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

Sweden play a game every 7 hours, that's about all I remember from the schedule.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#30 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

Sweden play a game every 7 hours, that's about all I remember from the schedule.

:lol:

And they're still gonna win all three medals: Gold, Best Beard, and Hardest Kronwalling.

*high five*

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#31 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

From TSN

The Russians are practicing for the first time since NHL players arrived for the Olympics, and captain Pavel Dstsyuk is the only skater not on the ice.

"I don't think it's a serious problem, dangerous. I think he's going to be okay," said Russian coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov.

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 10 February 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#32 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

I watched portions of both womens games today and was really impressed.  The quality level has really gone up since last time I saw it, the goaltending especially which I remember as being particularly bad.

My wife commented that it was like watching the Sheffield Steelers (British team) and I have to agree with her, kinda ECHL level..

I wouldn't say they're at that level just yet. US women's team went 2-2 against some East coast boys high school teams in January.

#33 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

meghan-agosta-marciano.jpg

Y'know, if you close one eye and squint real hard with the other, these uniforms aren't bad.

#34 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

I guess that's what happens when they invite Martin and Orpik, over Byfuglien and Yandle. Still don't understand the logic (or lack thereof). It's even more ridiculous than not letting Bobby Ryan on the team.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#35 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

meghan-agosta-marciano.jpg

Y'know, if you close one eye and squint real hard with the other, these uniforms aren't bad.

They could be these...yikes!

12324548193_b9d81e479e.jpg

Edited by kipwinger, 10 February 2014 - 01:56 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#36 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

I guess that's what happens when they invite Martin and Orpik, over Byfuglien and Yandle. Still don't understand the logic (or lack thereof). It's even more ridiculous than not letting Bobby Ryan on the team.

Because we've got plenty of defensive scoring without Yandle or Byfuglien and we needed players who could actually play adequate defensive defense now and again.  Byfulgien is TERRIBLE defensively and putting him out there against Canada or Sweden would be tantamount to handling them the Gold Medal.  Yandle is better than Buf, but still why pick him when Suter, Fowler, Shattenkirk, and McDonagh are all scoring as much as he is this year AND play defense better too?

#37 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

So, what's the schedule looking like? Haven't watched a second of the Olympics yet. Fill me in?

the hockey schedule looks like your DVR should get a decent amount of work in this olympic season

They could be these...yikes!

12324548193_b9d81e479e.jpg

slovenia hockey: aka kopitar & friends.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#38 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

the hockey schedule looks like your DVR should get a decent amount of work in this olympic season

slovenia hockey: aka kopitar & friends.

Perhaps you're forgetting about a secret little weapon known as Jan Mursak.  BOOM!  How's it feel to have a bomb dropped on your a**?!!

#39 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

I don't care how un-Canadian it makes me sound, but Kunitz riding coattails on the 1st line and Duchene as the 14th forward make me want Canada to finish dead last in the tournament.  Sorry guys……coach of the century strikes again.   :thumbdown:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#40 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

I don't care....for once I can say DAVID BACKES IS ON OUR TEAM!!!  WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid