Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Official 2014 Olympic Hockey Thread (Admin warning #316)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1600 replies to this topic

#101 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

WOOOO!!!! LGTK!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#102 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Czechs were not ready, really sloppy. Got it together later on, but still didn't have much offense to finish it out. 

Go Sweden!

IPB Image

#103 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

Thought Goose looked pretty good out there today!

#104 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

Czechs were not ready, really sloppy. Got it together later on, but still didn't have much offense to finish it out. 

Go Sweden!

I liked the way they played in the second half of the game, but yeah, they were clearly the inferior team and not ready to go. I hate to agree with Pierre McGuire, but kind of some baffling omissions by the Czech front office. Hudler and Vrbata are both very capable offensive players and would have helped a lot.

Fun game, the Wings players played pretty well. Better get some coffee brewing for this USA game.

Posted Image

#105 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

CBC. Too late?
Just to b perfectly clear, CBC refers to their coverage as a "webcast" and is partly being unwritten by funds that come out of my pocket, being a Canadian citizen and taxpayer.

It's only for Canadians.

You guys keep all the good stuff to yourself. Like this:

https://twitter.com/...5145600/photo/1

(free beer fridge at Olympics that only opens with Canadian passport)

#106 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

I just saw the replay of the 2nd goal Canada scored against the US women.  That is utter bull.  Whistle blows, play is over.  Period.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#107 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

No goal....no goal...no goal...and of course Canada wins by 1 goal.  

.just look at Mens division...drawn from a hat my ass...

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

#108 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

I'm a little behind cause I PVR'd this game. Czech's just scored their second goal but Ericsson looks pretty bad

#109 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

I'm a little behind cause I PVR'd this game. Czech's just scored their second goal but Ericsson looks pretty bad

Probably our best overall d-man today actually. OEL and Karlsson were both quite bad defensively at times, and Oduya/Hjalmarsson had some disaster shifts and showed their lack of offensive talent.

Nyquist was great. I would not be surprised to see him moved up to Z's line eventually.

Overall Swedes had an okay first game. Glad they didn't get too much of a free ride, they needed a test to see what they need to work on.

#110 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

I don't think the whistle affected the play, but by the rulebook it shouldn't have counted.  Which begs the question, does intent to blow exist in IIHF?

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 12 February 2014 - 03:32 PM.
removed quoted post that was deleted

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling, $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $0

#111 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

I don't think the whistle affected the play, but by the rulebook it shouldn't have counted.  Which begs the question, does intent to blow exist in IIHF?

I don't know anything about the international rulebook, but by my ideal rules, the goal should not have counted. I do however think Canada played well enough to win, and I'm sure in the first two periods there were controversial calls both ways. Besides, it's only the round-robin. It's the gold medal game that counts, and that is still 0-0. 

#112 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

Probably our best overall d-man today actually. OEL and Karlsson were both quite bad defensively at times, and Oduya/Hjalmarsson had some disaster shifts and showed their lack of offensive talent.

Nyquist was great. I would not be surprised to see him moved up to Z's line eventually.

Overall Swedes had an okay first game. Glad they didn't get too much of a free ride, they needed a test to see what they need to work on.

That second goal was a result of him running around all over the place. Bad pinching and getting lost in the defensive zone. Sweden thoroughly dominated most of the game so a defensive defensemen isn't going to have a lot of work to do. Looked a lot like he did for the red wings lately

I thought Karlsson looked pretty damn good tbh. All the swedes forwards were good

Edited by joesuffP, 12 February 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#113 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

I don't know anything about the international rulebook, but by my ideal rules, the goal should not have counted. I do however think Canada played well enough to win, and I'm sure in the first two periods there were controversial calls both ways. Besides, it's only the round-robin. It's the gold medal game that counts, and that is still 0-0. 

In every sport I've ever played where officials had whistles, a blown whistle means the play is dead. The US-Canada thing wasn't even the intent to blow argument, the whistle had been blown.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#114 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

I like the US jerseys tbh. Gotta admit all the Olympic jerseys are growing on me

#115 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

Lundqvist with 27 saves? Does anyone know where I can watch the highlights? Can't seem to find them anywhere, even on the nbcolympics site.

#116 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

I know this is kindof stating the obvious but DAMN...what I wouldnt give for a Karlsson/Ekman-Larsson type guy on the Wings blue line...

Really missin ol Nick Lidstrom watching Swedens offensive d-men win that game.

Edited by RedWang, 12 February 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#117 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

I know this is kindof stating the obvious but DAMN...what I wouldnt give for a Karlsson/Ekman-Larsson type guy on the Wings blue line...

Really missin ol Nick Lidstrom watching Swedens offensive d-men win that game.

I would love Ekman-Larsson on the Wings. He is a great player.

02_notcomplicated_Kronwalled55_zpsc7d665

#118 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

No goal....no goal...no goal...and of course Canada wins by 1 goal.  Typical of Canadian teams, need a little help to win...just look at Mens division...drawn from a hat my ass...

And it starts......

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#119 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

My Olympic wish is for everyone to play nice in the Olympic discussion thread.

In YFMB's name, amen.

I <3 you all, even those of you who are cheering for Canada :lol:

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#120 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Who cares about women's hockey anyways