Photo
- - - - -

Who has been Ken Holland's worst recent free agent signing?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Who has been Ken Holland's worst free agent signing?

Worst free agent signing of the recent Holland-era?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

So yeah. All in the poll, which I hope has worked. A lot of decent choices there and so many that made no sense at the time that we all rightly predicted doom and gloom from the start.

Can any of them really beat the latest Daniel Cleary signing? I think the Samuelsson contract just about shades it because of the length at 2 years $6m for a guy that was basically ignored in the last season.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#2 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

If not for the fact that even the Sammy deal looked better on paper than the Cleary deal, I'd say Sammy for sure. And what's sad is that it was still a pretty awful looking deal on paper and ended up playing out worse than I think anyone could've imagined. But signing Cleary again this summer is such an obviously terrible signing from any perspective really. It's not only a bad hockey move, it just makes the team and the organization look even more ridiculous after an already disastrous off-season. Anyone who thinks that league-wide perception of our organization doesn't matter on some level is kidding themselves. We haven't looked like this big of a joke since the 80s, and for it to happen so soon after some very successful years is just shameful. 

-Elliot...does not panic.

#3 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

The most depressing part is the sheer number of quality options to choose from. 

I'm going with Quincey. Cleary is close, but I figure his knees won't make it through pre-season, while Quincey will be stinking up the place for a full 82 games with that well-deserved raise he got. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#4 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

Can I just vote "Yes"?

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#5 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

all of them minus Colaiacovo

#6 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

I voted Q cause Cleary's is only 1 year and he'll be on IR half the season so Jurco can play.  Q takes 2 years of a spot from Ouellet, Marchenko or Sproul.  And that's with Kindl still here taking another spot.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#7 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

All of the above. What does that tell us?

#8 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

I'm thinking it has to be the Cleary signing today. It's received the most attention and it's not good attention. The front office looks like they don't have a plan and don't know what they're doing. This is a business not some charity retirement community. Sometimes you have to break promises to players in order to do the right thing for the organization. I just don't understand.

#9 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,022 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

For me it was a tossup between Sammy at 2 years with a NTC and a raise, and Tootoo at $1.9 mill for 3 years.  

Sammy's was frustrating because it was Holland's classic move of returning to a former Red Wing when they're past their prime, then throw in the contract. 

But Tootoo's was completely baffling because he overpaid for a 4th liner that his coach had little interest in using (which I agree with).  It's not like Tootoo was a different player for the Wings.  They knew what they were getting, paid too much, then didn't use him. 

#10 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Sammy. Not only did he waste a rooster spot on top of it his caphit hurt us badly.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#11 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

I liked Modano, it's a shame it didn't work out/freak injury. You take a chance on a future hall of famer. Tootoo was an interesting idea, but the rest were garbage from the beginning.

#12 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

cleary's signing is by far the worst of holland's tenure. and i'm not just being a prisoner of the moment.

holland has admitted himself that cleary was signed mostly due to loyalty reasons. awful, just awful

#13 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

Every signing except the Clearys and Sammy ones were for a reason.

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#14 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

I liked Modano, it's a shame it didn't work out/freak injury. You take a chance on a future hall of famer. Tootoo was an interesting idea, but the rest were garbage from the beginning.

The whole Modano situation could've played out completely differently if not for a freak injury. It's silly that people knock it given what happened. That one ought to be disqualified if you ask me.

all of them minus Colaiacovo

What kills me is that once the guy was healthy, he wasn't so bad for us. I was actually surprised we bought him out given our lack of depth on defense and that once healthy, he played relatively well, considering he was cheap and coming off of injury. At the very least, it didn't seem like he was the first salary problem that needed addressing, that's for damn sure. 

-Elliot...does not panic.

#15 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

This is awful... please close this... This team was great thanks to Scotty and Jim... Kenny is awful
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#16 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

How can I choose between Sammy, Danny 2013, Danny 2014, Cola, or Quincey? Wow

52369146.jpg

#17 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

No Weiss, or does that exceed the allowable options on a LGW poll?

I had a hard time with so many options, but picked Samuelsson.  Was pleasantly surprised that he was the leading choice.  It was a signing we all knew would be bad the moment it was made.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#18 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

No Weiss, or does that exceed the allowable options on a LGW poll?

I had a hard time with so many options, but picked Samuelsson.  Was pleasantly surprised that he was the leading choice.  It was a signing we all knew would be bad the moment it was made.    

weiss made a lot of hockey sense and most people applauded the signing. wings needed that 2nd line center and he was it. nobody could have predicted all the injuries that derailed his season. hopefully he has a bounce back season

#19 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

I liken his recent GM activity to the Brady Bunch- a bunch of misfits get together and try to form a family but it turns into a painful comedy instead.  

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#20 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

No vote as I can't pick just one. I can eliminate Modano, but after that I just can't narrow it down between the other EIGHTf****** choices.icon_think.gificon_e_agh.gif

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: