• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
uk_redwing

Who has been Ken Holland's worst recent free agent signing?

Rate this topic

Who has been Ken Holland's worst free agent signing?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So yeah. All in the poll, which I hope has worked. A lot of decent choices there and so many that made no sense at the time that we all rightly predicted doom and gloom from the start.

Can any of them really beat the latest Daniel Cleary signing? I think the Samuelsson contract just about shades it because of the length at 2 years $6m for a guy that was basically ignored in the last season.

If not for the fact that even the Sammy deal looked better on paper than the Cleary deal, I'd say Sammy for sure. And what's sad is that it was still a pretty awful looking deal on paper and ended up playing out worse than I think anyone could've imagined. But signing Cleary again this summer is such an obviously terrible signing from any perspective really. It's not only a bad hockey move, it just makes the team and the organization look even more ridiculous after an already disastrous off-season. Anyone who thinks that league-wide perception of our organization doesn't matter on some level is kidding themselves. We haven't looked like this big of a joke since the 80s, and for it to happen so soon after some very successful years is just shameful.

I'm thinking it has to be the Cleary signing today. It's received the most attention and it's not good attention. The front office looks like they don't have a plan and don't know what they're doing. This is a business not some charity retirement community. Sometimes you have to break promises to players in order to do the right thing for the organization. I just don't understand.

For me it was a tossup between Sammy at 2 years with a NTC and a raise, and Tootoo at $1.9 mill for 3 years.

Sammy's was frustrating because it was Holland's classic move of returning to a former Red Wing when they're past their prime, then throw in the contract.

But Tootoo's was completely baffling because he overpaid for a 4th liner that his coach had little interest in using (which I agree with). It's not like Tootoo was a different player for the Wings. They knew what they were getting, paid too much, then didn't use him.

cleary's signing is by far the worst of holland's tenure. and i'm not just being a prisoner of the moment.

holland has admitted himself that cleary was signed mostly due to loyalty reasons. awful, just awful

I liked Modano, it's a shame it didn't work out/freak injury. You take a chance on a future hall of famer. Tootoo was an interesting idea, but the rest were garbage from the beginning.

The whole Modano situation could've played out completely differently if not for a freak injury. It's silly that people knock it given what happened. That one ought to be disqualified if you ask me.

all of them minus Colaiacovo

What kills me is that once the guy was healthy, he wasn't so bad for us. I was actually surprised we bought him out given our lack of depth on defense and that once healthy, he played relatively well, considering he was cheap and coming off of injury. At the very least, it didn't seem like he was the first salary problem that needed addressing, that's for damn sure.

No Weiss, or does that exceed the allowable options on a LGW poll?

I had a hard time with so many options, but picked Samuelsson. Was pleasantly surprised that he was the leading choice. It was a signing we all knew would be bad the moment it was made.

No Weiss, or does that exceed the allowable options on a LGW poll?

I had a hard time with so many options, but picked Samuelsson. Was pleasantly surprised that he was the leading choice. It was a signing we all knew would be bad the moment it was made.

weiss made a lot of hockey sense and most people applauded the signing. wings needed that 2nd line center and he was it. nobody could have predicted all the injuries that derailed his season. hopefully he has a bounce back season

What kills me is that once the guy was healthy, he wasn't so bad for us. I was actually surprised we bought him out given our lack of depth on defense and that once healthy, he played relatively well, considering he was cheap and coming off of injury. At the very least, it didn't seem like he was the first salary problem that needed addressing, that's for damn sure.

Exactly granted he was made of glass but he was a good puck mover and didn't make bone head plays. He was a solid option imo and much better than some of current D.

Its a real strong field, but in the end it comes down to Sammy vs Cleary 2.0. What made Sammys so bad was that it was 2 years, a 1 year deal for him to provide insurance depth would have been OK, but 2? Against that is re-signing a player who is clearly no longer able to physically perform at NHL (and possibly AHL) level.

Because we couldn't be sure which Sammy we would get, vs knowing exactly what we're getting with Cleary, it has to be Daniel.

BTW, I agree with the posters who say Carlo wasn't so bad when healthy, I was bemused by Hollands buy-out of him.

I'm surprised no one has voted for that lazy floater Jason Williams. That signing pissed me right off when it happened all those (five) years ago and I remember Holland's quote of "that gives us an extra 20 goals season."