• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Expansion draft - how many players can each team protect ?

Rate this topic

This was the best I could find

Option 1:

Protect one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards

No experience requirement for unprotected goalies

At least one defenceman and two forwards left unprotected has to have appeared in at least 40 games in the previous season or 70 games in the previous two seasons combined.

Option 2:

Protect two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards

Each goaltender left unprotected must have appeared in either 10 NHL games in the previous season or 25 games in the previous two seasons combined. TOI must be greater than or equal to 31 minutes to count as a game played.

At least one defenceman and two forwards left unprotected has to have appeared in at least 40 games in the previous season or 70 games in the previous two seasons combined.

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2014/8/27/6073695/nhl-expansion-draft-seattle-quebec-toronto-las-vegas

Each of the expansion drafts since 1991 have had different rules. I would guess the league won't allow teams to protect quite as many players as they did in 2000, they'll want those teams to be at least somewhat competitive... as will the owners who are forking over hundreds of millions of dollars for a franchise!

Even with the possible changes with respect to protecting players, I still wondered who I would protect if this were to happen. For the current roster I would probably leave the following unprotected:

G: Gustavsson

D: Lashoff and Quincey

F: Andersson, Cleary, Franzen, Glendening and Miller

Franzen might be a bit shocking, but I think we're going to have quite a few wingers coming up who can make up for the production. The only reason I didn't use Weiss instead is because I think he could still prove to be a good stop-gap before seeing what guys like Sheahan and Larkin can do as centers playing in the top 6. I also think the term is a bit easier to deal with. The rest of the guys are pretty self-explanatory.

Obviously, by the time (if) this happens, things will be very different. The toughest choice I could see lies in net - we'll likely have Howard and Mrazek. Do you protect both guys?

Guest DeGraa55

Does that mean they can draft from anyone owned by the wings or only guys who have played like in the nhl and ahl or just nhl?

Guest DeGraa55

In terms of Howard/mrazek. It depends on next few years. If mraz is equal or better they'll protect him if not they might only protect Howard or both.

Defenseman smith and dekeyser would be the first two then after them it depends in who develops from sproul, oullete marchenko etc etc. at this point protecting only one of kronwall and E would be enough maybe even neither.

Forward dat could be gone by this point maybe not. But you got z, jurco, Tatar, nyquist, and mantha as the for sure guys you protect. You leave Franzen unprotected and pray to whichever god you believe in that someone is stupid enough to take him LOL.

In terms of Howard/mrazek. It depends on next few years. If mraz is equal or better they'll protect him if not they might only protect Howard or both.

Defenseman smith and dekeyser would be the first two then after them it depends in who develops from sproul, oullete marchenko etc etc. at this point protecting only one of kronwall and E would be enough maybe even neither.

Forward dat could be gone by this point maybe not. But you got z, jurco, Tatar, nyquist, and mantha as the for sure guys you protect. You leave Franzen unprotected and pray to whichever god you believe in that someone is stupid enough to take him LOL.

Franzen would certainly get picked with a two or four team expansion. I don't see how he wouldn't.

I'm pretty concerned about having two goaltenders to protect, though. When expansion is officially announced, who becomes trade bait so the Wings actually get a something for them?

Guest DeGraa55

If the NHL expands to 2-4, teams, you should worry about the league having another lockout..............not which players we can protect.

That's kind of foolish. Once this next CBA is up there will be another lockout it's what the PA wants. There isn't any debating it, cause it's going to happen.

Franzen would certainly get picked with a two or four team expansion. I don't see how he wouldn't.

I'm pretty concerned about having two goaltenders to protect, though. When expansion is officially announced, who becomes trade bait so the Wings actually get a something for them?

It's several years from now so we may not have any goalies to protect or we could have 2. A lot can happen in 2-4 years. Franzen will be so useless by then I don't think he would. He won't even be hitting his 25 goals a year by then.

This will be interesting with the salary cap in place. I can see a situation where most of the teams out there leave the guys with bad contracts unprotected. Its going to be a field full of Franzen's, Lecavalier's etc.

Also, when would this take place? If after the season, can a player wait to sign with his team until after the expansion draft is over? This could be a strategy, if a guy is about to be UFA and wants to re-sign, just wait until after the draft. Then he is not a "protected player" but you don't have to worry about losing him.

That's kind of foolish. Once this next CBA is up there will be another lockout it's what the PA wants. There isn't any debating it, cause it's going to happen.

If the NHLPA wanted a work stoppage, they could strike. Lockout is, by definition, owners locking the players out.

Disclaimer: I do not wish to start any discussion of whose fault it was/is/will be. Just a word usage note.

I think if it comes down to losing Howard or mrazek in a few years we'd have to leave howard unprotected ... And I'd have to think howard would be claimed in a heart beat unless other as good goalies are available and have less money and term(don't see it though)

I'm more worried with the forwards and d though

It be nice if Quincey were still here so we can leave him unprotected but for that to happen the new teams would have to start in 2015, and I don't see lashoff being here in 2-3 yrs so I'd have to think it could be someone like smith and/or Ericsson unless we wanna risk losing a young potential d like ouellet/sproul/backman/marchenko

And for forwards off the top of my head we might protect

Zetterberg datsyuk helm nyquist Tatar sheahan jurco mantha

And that last spot could be another rookie like bertuzzi/pulkkinen/janmark(if they crack the lineup in 2-3 yrs)

Other wise it be glendening(Babcock loves him)

Either way I see weiss and Franzen being left available for the taking

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

According to the article I quoted, only players who have been in the league for more than 2 seasons can be drafted, so if it happens in the next two years any of our grand rapids guys wouldn't need protection.

What you pasted says a player had to have played 40 games the previous year or 70 the previous 2

Chances are mantha will have had a season within next few years and possibly ouellet/sproul

What you pasted says a player had to have played 40 games the previous year or 70 the previous 2

Chances are mantha will have had a season within next few years and possibly ouellet/sproul

I must have read it wrong then. But I'm sure Kenny will be well aware of that rule and things will fall into place somehow. If there's one thing he's good at, it's keeping guys in the minors

Protect Mrazek over Howard all day...

I believe that a team can only lose ONE player, so if someone picked up Franzen, then no one else can be picked (of those left unprotected.)

How would that be possible, especially with 4 teams drafting? There would have to be more than one player selected from a team. In the 2000 expansion draft with Columbus and Minny, Detroit lost Stacy Roest and Darryl Laplante.

How would that be possible, especially with 4 teams drafting? There would have to be more than one player selected from a team. In the 2000 expansion draft with Columbus and Minny, Detroit lost Stacy Roest and Darryl Laplante.

Wow, what huge losses. :lol:

I'm hoping that it wouldn't be 4 teams at once. That would be insanity. 2 seems realistic.

The scary thing for me is... we have a lot of new young talent, Zberg and dats careers begin seriously waning, expansion begins, do we leave Z an D unprotected in say their last years?

The business man in me says yes. The red wing says EAT s*** DIE for even thinking that mother f*****

It all depends on when the league would expand, how many players each team would lose and how many each could protect, and how those guys are playing at the time of expansion. But as long as Ilitch and Holland are in charge, it would never happen.

Wow, what huge losses. :lol:

I'm hoping that it wouldn't be 4 teams at once. That would be insanity. 2 seems realistic.

Agreed. 34 teams just doesn't work.