• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nyquistfan14

Weiss sent down to GR- conditioning assignment

Rate this topic

The league does allow salary retention.

Up to %50.

Was it upped to 50% with the new CBA? I thought it was less. In any case 50% still puts a limit on something that IMHO should not have one. If teams are willing to take the cap hit to trade a player, the league shouldn't care.

The league does allow salary retention.

Up to %50.

Was it upped to 50% with the new CBA? I thought it was less. In any case 50% still puts a limit on something that IMHO should not have one. If teams are willing to take the cap hit to trade a player, the league shouldn't care.

If you keep that much what's the point of trading him?

If you keep that much what's the point of trading him?

You clear the roster, you might get a decent draft pick, and you still save some cap space. It's not about saving money it's about starting anew.

But to be clear I'm not advocating trading him, I'm just saying it could have been more of an option.

Edited by wings87

Great news. Weiss clearly still wasn't 100%. Maybe he's finally getting there now. Hopefully he an get in some good games down in Grand Rapids to get himself ready for the rest of the season with the Wings. I still think he will be a decent second line center for us by Christmas time.

I just don't look forward to after his first game with the Griffins, people check the stat sheet, hoping he did bad of course, so they can come back here to say HAH Weiss had zero points and was a -1. He sucks. Trade him for a bag of pucks. Oh yeah, and I told you so...

Couldn't agree more. The guy needs to play, and if they want to bring him along slowly, this is the natural next step. At least now he can get to game shape/speed and then hopefully in a few months all the "Weiss is a bust" talk can be a thing of the past.

I fear Weiss is headed to the Island of Misfit Red Wings toys to join a water gun that squirts jelly, Bill Ranford, Uwe Krupp, Mike Modano, a spotted elephant, Robert Lang, Wendel Clark, Derian Hatcher, and a cowboy who rides an ostrich.

I don't really think it's fair to have Modano or Lang on this list. Modano had a freak injury that no one could've predicted and Lang's time here wasn't as dreadful as some make it out to be. Uwe Krupp, however, has come to mind many times when thinking about Weiss. I don't know what kind of shape he's really in, or what's really going on behind the scenes at all for that matter, but the way this is going, it's just weird.

Great news. Weiss clearly still wasn't 100%. Maybe he's finally getting there now. Hopefully he an get in some good games down in Grand Rapids to get himself ready for the rest of the season with the Wings. I still think he will be a decent second line center for us by Christmas time.

I just don't look forward to after his first game with the Griffins, people check the stat sheet, hoping he did bad of course, so they can come back here to say HAH Weiss had zero points and was a -1. He sucks. Trade him for a bag of pucks. Oh yeah, and I told you so...

I would tend to think this if not for the timing of everything that's happened thus far. Why is this happening now? From what I recall, Babcock said point blank early on that certain people weren't playing because of their compete level. I don't understand what could have changed so that we can assume this conditioning stint means he must almost be ready. He went through a full camp, played pre-season games, and started the year with the team as a healthy scratch, and aside from getting into one game, he's remained a healthy scratch. After all that, he's been assigned to GR for a conditioning stint for two games. I don't see that as the arc of a player working his way up towards being healthy and ready to be in the lineup every night, at least not in any ordinary way.

It's not like Helm last year where he didn't really get pre-season games, and that's the closest I can get to thinking of a situation like Weiss's that the Wings have gone through recently. Helm was down for a very short time if I remember and it was explicitly because he didn't have the full camp/pre-season experience, played 1-2 games in a year and a half or so, and needed to get a couple games in before returning to the NHL lineup. Weiss wasn't out nearly as long and played a lot more games over the course of time that he was in and out, not to mention the fact that he has more NHL experience.

On top of that, if he's really ready to play games, it's hard to imagine he'd do worse subbing in for some of our guys right now. It's not like all of our kids have been playing out of this world, though I don't say that to cast any sort of permanent judgement. I just mean, it seems reasonable that he could sub in for Nestrasil more than he has at this point and the balance of the team wouldn't be shaken.

I get that he's played very few games the last couple of years, but if he's healthy enough to be playing pre-season games and not start the season on IR or on a conditioning stint in GR, than there's likely more to it. This seems more like a "what else can we do" situation. I'm sure they're hoping that getting into some games might help get him going, and it very well might. I'm not saying any of this as someone who believes the guy is worthless; I'd love to see him get into the lineup and contribute and barring something else going on that we don't fully know about, I believe he's capable of doing that.

But if they just thought he needed to get into some more games, I really think this would've happened weeks ago. He's getting two games, and he's staying on the Wing's roster during that time, and he'll travel with the Red Wings this weekend. It sounds as if they know Franzen won't be back before the weekend, so the roster isn't going to be an issue. I think this is just an experiment they're trying because the opportunity allows for it. While I hope it's the first step towards him breaking back into the lineup and staying there, it's hard to imagine what two games in Grand Rapids will do to change things in Detroit after the way things have gone since the start of camp.

I don't really think it's fair to have Modano or Lang on this list. Modano had a freak injury that no one could've predicted and Lang's time here wasn't as dreadful as some make it out to be. Uwe Krupp, however, has come to mind many times when thinking about Weiss. I don't know what kind of shape he's really in, or what's really going on behind the scenes at all for that matter, but the way this is going, it's just weird.

Weiss didn't have a freak injury? Huh. I must be confused.

Guest DeGraa55

Everyone talks about all these freak injuries. Yet they consistently happen to red wings players. So are they "freak" injuries or just the norm? People have questioned the workouts and S&C before...so who knows.

I don't get why people are so hung up on the timing of this. He obviously wasn't ready to go at the start of the season but management clearly weren't fully aware how long it was going to take for him to get back up to speed. They didn't feel it was necessary to send him down to the minors right away, but see it as a good opportunity now, for him to get in some actual games, get his speed and timing up to the pro level while gaining some confidence along the way. Maybe they thought he could get into game shape by just practicing, but that often isn't the case with a player that has been out as long as Weiss has.

Also, the fact that they're sending him down for two home games tonight and Friday night, so he can be ready to travel with the team to Buffalo this weekend tells me that they must think he is getting very close. I expect him to be in the lineup on Sunday vs. Buffalo unless they beat Los Angeles 5-2 on Friday...

Also, I've been as frustrated as anyone with the number of injuries over the past couple years, but people need to relax with the whole "this team is soft", "we get injured way too often", blah, blah, blah, blah, blaaah... Yeah, we've had our fair share of injuries over the past couple seasons, but it happens. I fully expect us to have a much healthier year this year. Just take a quick glance around the league and you'll see that there are other teams, much worse off than us right now. Some teams have some of their top players out for significant amounts of time, as of right now, our only injury is Franzen and he's day to day, nothing to get all worked up about...

I don't get why people are so hung up on the timing of this. He obviously wasn't ready to go at the start of the season but management clearly weren't fully aware how long it was going to take for him to get back up to speed. They didn't feel it was necessary to send him down to the minors right away, but see it as a good opportunity now, for him to get in some actual games, get his speed and timing up to the pro level while gaining some confidence along the way. Maybe they thought he could get into game shape by just practicing, but that often isn't the case with a player that has been out as long as Weiss has.

Also, the fact that they're sending him down for two home games tonight and Friday night, so he can be ready to travel with the team to Buffalo this weekend tells me that they must think he is getting very close. I expect him to be in the lineup on Sunday vs. Buffalo unless they beat Los Angeles 5-2 on Friday...

Also, I've been as frustrated as anyone with the number of injuries over the past couple years, but people need to relax with the whole "this team is soft", "we get injured way too often", blah, blah, blah, blah, blaaah... Yeah, we've had our fair share of injuries over the past couple seasons, but it happens. I fully expect us to have a much healthier year this year. Just take a quick glance around the league and you'll see that there are other teams, much worse off than us right now. Some teams have some of their top players out for significant amounts of time, as of right now, our only injury is Franzen and he's day to day, nothing to get all worked up about...

The timing can and likely does have as much to do with how it would affect the roster. Again, bear in mind, he's still counting against the Wings roster this week, and keeping him in the mix when traveling requires no roster moves which they'd want to do on a road trip if they weren't taking him and Franzen was still on the fence.

I do think there's a higher likelihood that he'll crack the lineup on the trip given this move if Franzen isn't back and we don't become magic scoring machines beforehand. But if it doesn't go great, and I'm not expecting miracles from two games in GR so far as what it seems the team expects from him and how camp and practice has gone thus far, I don't think Babcock will hesitate to bench him again or bury him.

And to be clear, I don't like it or fully get it, but the way the Wings have been handling it all, I just am not expecting a major change in his status anytime soon. If it were my choice, he'd be in the lineup every night. I'm of the mind that even if he struggles at first, the NHL game and the competitiveness any pro has would help him get his act together quicker than riding the bench and getting sent down to play a couple games in the minors. I'd get it if he was a lesser player, but I don't get it at all given the type of player we know he's been.

I agree with much of what you're saying, however, I do believe, in Weiss' case, that it is a good idea to play a couple games down in the minors to get his game going after missing as much time as he has. I expect he will average around 18 minutes or so down in GR over the two games playing in a top 2 line role with similar skilled players he has played with in Detroit. I think it will benefit him to play substantial minutes with the Griffins, against slightly lesser competition, rather than playing 8 minutes in a third line role with the Wings. Confidence is huge in any sport, and if he can feel good about himself after a couple games with the Griffins, I think that will get his game going with the Wings. The key in my opinion is that after this conditioning stint in the minors, Babcock needs to give him in a top 6 role with linemates he can actual play with. There is no point in relegating him to the third right away again, let the guy play his game...

I agree with much of what you're saying, however, I do believe, in Weiss' case, that it is a good idea to play a couple games down in the minors to get his game going after missing as much time as he has. I expect he will average around 18 minutes or so down in GR over the two games playing in a top 2 line role with similar skilled players he has played with in Detroit. I think it will benefit him to play substantial minutes with the Griffins, against slightly lesser competition, rather than playing 8 minutes in a third line role with the Wings. Confidence is huge in any sport, and if he can feel good about himself after a couple games with the Griffins, I think that will get his game going with the Wings. The key in my opinion is that after this conditioning stint in the minors, Babcock needs to give him in a top 6 role with linemates he can actual play with. There is no point in relegating him to the third right away again, let the guy play his game...

I agree with this completely. Build up his game conditioning and confidence in the minors for two games, then get him up playing top 6 and pp with guys like Gus and Tatar

I thought about it a little bit and in my opinion it would be very dumb of the Wings to use the stint just to send a signal to Weiss. The next one if needed would almost certainly be rejected. And it's not that he was a regular in the lineup lately so I don't get the penalize argument. For a player like Weiss it should be hard enough not to play while guys like Nestrasil do. All in all I'm very optimistic that this is the last step in his rehab and that we will see more of him once his stint in GR is over.

Weiss must just have character issues (not that he's a jerk or anything). He was used to being handed first line minutes in FLA where they had a terrible tradition of being horrible and now he comes to Detroit and gets outworked by kids around him and just watches as his chances fly by. I don't think Weiss is an every-dayer that Babs preaches about.

somewhere holland is so doing a dance. makes his life easier.