• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2/16 GDT : Montreal Canadiens 2 at Red Wings 0

Rate this topic

We will not beat the Lightning or Price in a best of seven series without one or two additional pieces. Unfortunately, it's going to be the Lightning or Price in the first round. So, logic suggests making a trade or two is the way to go. But "There's no hockey store," so I dunno.

If this is how the playoffs will be officiated they will struggle. They are relying too much on the power play. When you're only limited to 2 it's going to come back and bite you. Outside of that 4-1 win against the islanders, they have really struggled to get goals against the top teams in the East.

Been saying this all year.

They are relying too much on the power play.

Yeah, this is an issue that no one really seems to be talking about. We flat-out don't score at even strength. Like, in all seriousness - if you look into the numbers, there are maybe four teams in the league that are more toothless at even strength. This is a major problem.

Can you really say that? The Wings lost but that was a hell of a game. Really tightly played on both sides, not many flaws or weaknesses from either team.

Yes the game was well played, just frustrated that a nothing play becomes the winning goal and you get zero points in a game that you controlled for several stretches.

Also how pathetic is it that we can't get fans to come to an original six match up against a first place team. I thought they were playing in Montreal when they scored the winner.

I don't think we are allowed to talk about attendance in GDT anymore. I swear I was reading that back a couple weeks ago..? But I will only say one thing on it, it's sad as hell. Seems to be more Wings fans at away games then our home games.

Something has to be done at the deadline.

Petry is a depth defenseman and the price for Hall would be astronomical.

Petry is the best defenceman on the Oilers, by a mile. He'd be #3 behind Kronwall and Dekeyser for sure. Hall is a pipe dream, but adding Petry would be huge for our defence.

I don't think we are allowed to talk about attendance in GDT anymore. I swear I was reading that back a couple weeks ago..? But I will only say one thing on it, it's sad as hell. Seems to be more Wings fans at away games then our home games.

Something has to be done at the deadline.

Just wait, when the new arena is built everyone will want to attend. I'm afraid the vocal fans may get priced out on the secondary market.

That's a little extreme. I'd say over the rest of the season/next season that could happen.

Next season would be Mrazek as 1A and Howard as 1B.

But it does need to be said that Petr has only 3 less wins than Jimmy has in quite a few less games played.

Again, wins tend to accumulate when your team scores three or more goals in front of you.

2.11 GAA compared to 2.55, .921 save percentage to .909. If wins were the best indicator of success, Monster should have been the starter over Jimmy going into this season.

Jimmy was not tonight and has not been the Red Wings issue for losing games in a significant percentage of his starts.

Edited by GoWings1905

But special teams and goaltending win playoff series.

Anyway, the Habs have issues of their own. Bottom 3rd in goals for. That's not good enough to go all the way.

We have good special teams, but the Bolts are the better team, without question. And the Habs have Carey Price, who's my pick for the Hart and Vezina. The Habs are thoroughly mediocre, but Price could carry them to the finals. He's that good right now.

We have good special teams, but the Bolts are the better team, without question. And the Habs have Carey Price, who's my pick for the Hart and Vezina. The Habs are thoroughly mediocre, but Price could carry them to the finals. He's that good right now.

Every team in a playoff position right now scores more le buts than the Habs. If Price explodes like he did last year, they're done.

If tonight's game was called like an average game, Wings win.

Lot's of "ifs" I know.

Edited by rick zombo

Petry is the best defenceman on the Oilers, by a mile. He'd be #3 behind Kronwall and Dekeyser for sure. Hall is a pipe dream, but adding Petry would be huge for our defence.

Being the best defenseman on the Oilers doesn't mean much. I've actually argued that he might be the third best defenseman on this team, but it'd be incredibly close. Bottom line: he's a second-pairing defenseman on a good team and probably a third-pairing defenseman on this team, given how picky Babcock is about pairings (Kronwall-Ericsson is basically set in stone, which is a problem, and DeKeyser-Quincey has been our steadiest pairing). He doesn't put up points. I'm not convinced he's going to truly improve our breakouts, transition game, all-around puck movement. He doesn't do anything especially well. We already have defensemen who fit that bill. We need a real impact player. We need a shot in the arm. Replacing Marchenko with Petry (c'mon, tell me you don't see Petry being paired with Smith) would, I think, be a lateral move. It's thinking too small, too safe.

Edited by Dabura

Being the best defenseman on the Oilers doesn't mean much. I've actually argued that he might be the third best defenseman on this team, but it'd be incredibly close. Bottom line: he's a second-pairing defenseman on a good team and probably a third-pairing defenseman on this team, given how picky Babcock is about pairings (Kronwall-Ericsson is basically set in stone, which is a problem, and DeKeyser-Quincey has been our steadiest pairing). He doesn't put up points. I'm not convinced he's going to truly improve our breakouts, transition game, all-around puck movement. He doesn't do anything especially well. We already have defensemen who fit that bill. We need a real impact player. We need a shot in the arm. Replacing Marchenko with Petry (c'mon, tell me you don't see Petry being paired with Smith) would, I think, be a lateral move. It's thinking too small, too safe.

I get the pairings thing, but if we need a real impact player, won't he just play with Smith too? Mike needs to get over Kronwall-Ericsson, that big dope has cost us a lot of points this year, not just tonight. He's best served as a 4/5. I honestly don't think Holland will make a move, but Petry would be a good fit. I realize being the best of a bad bunch isn't the most glowing endorsement, but I see the guy a lot being out west and he's under appreciated to say the least. MacTavish is a guy who thinks Justin Schultz could win a Norris afterall :lol: We're probably arguing over nothing though, because the pairs going into the playoffs are probably going to be the same as tonight give or take an Xavier Oullet sighting.

Every team in a playoff position right now scores more le buts than the Habs. If Price explodes like he did last year, they're done.

If tonight's game was called like an average game, Wings win.

Lot's of "ifs" I know.

All I'm saying is we've had a number of cracks at the Lightning and Canadiens and we haven't done much winning in those games. And if we look to recent playoff runs...couldn't score against Nashville, couldn't score against Chicago (when Chicago woke up), couldn't score against Boston, and now we're pretty harmless at even strength this season. I love Nyquist and Tatar, and the Euro Twins are the Euro Twins, but our scoring depth - like our blue line depth - isn't where it needs to be if we want to make a serious push in the playoffs. Even if we were able to get past the Lightning or Price in the first round, we'd have three more rounds to go. We haven't done very well against the top Eastern teams (Metro included), so this is all pretty concerning.

Edited by Dabura

I don't think Montreal is that great of a team. They are AS good as price but I think in a 7 game series we would come out over price. I don't like nyquust with pav at all in fact neither top line had chemistry tonight. I much prefer tats with pav. ID like jurco to get time playing with pav and tats as well.

I don't think Montreal is that great of a team. They are AS good as price but I think in a 7 game series we would come out over price. I don't like nyquust with pav at all in fact neither top line had chemistry tonight. I much prefer tats with pav. ID like jurco to get time playing with pav and tats as well.

I think the Lightning are a better team overall than the Canadiens, but hard to do much against Price when he's playing like that. The Red Wings, IMO, are a notch down from both of those two in the division. I think they could make a playoff series interesting against either, but ultimately wouldn't win.

They do need a big trade, even when theyre winning its obvious. Still, need the top sixer and 2 defenseman, and helm and abby on the bottom six to make the bottom six an actual factor. Just imagine helm miller abby as the 4th and sheahan jurco tatar/nyquist as the third line.... im a fan thats all about instant gratification....im gonna go play my ps3. Its more fun.

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow. But here's me and my cousin at hockeytown cafe. Despite losing he had a great time at his first wings game and we had some great entertainment with a lunatic behind us screaming The whole time (wouldn't be surprised if he was a member here considering what he was saying)

23ib77m.jpg

Mrazek 9-1

Howard 0-2

I just don't like Jimmy. If Mrazek starts the next game and wins, Howard loses his #1 status. Something that a few if us called last season. Mrazek slowly taking over Jimmy's job.

The teams play was more of a factor in those wins than Mrazek was. In the time Jimmy was gone the team scored less than 3 goals three times and lost all of those games. Mrazeks play in general was very bipolar. Dont forget in those games he was pulled 3 times. Translate that into a 7 game series and thats two games your goaltender is pulled.