should mrazek get #1 tag next season

Rate this topic

Package howard for vlasic .... Workout something for Phaneuf -2mill per yr

We'd be flying

Kronwall Phaneuf

Vlasic dekeyser

Ericsson marchenko

Ouellet

Trade nyquist for someone bigger faster upfront ... A nice fast big body 6'3 220 type would be a big time add ... Seeing jurco helm and Tatar nyquist going after pucks against Boyle and other losers from tampa was hard to watch

Definitely need to get Kronner and Dekeyser some good help back there!

Your username makes this really ironic lol

Ya I know :(

We all make mistakes? Lol well it's either him or Tatar and at least Tatar showed a bit more determination to get to pucks

With athanasiou larkin mantha bertuzzi coming and we got pulkkinen sheahan jurco nyquist Tatar now I think we could afford to give one up

We got kronwall datsyuk zetterberg for a few more years

Time for this team to have some balls and make a few changes

with all the kids coming and mrazek we could trade howard and nyquist and make this team even better than it is now

Mrazeks been a winner everywhere he has gone ... The fact that Babcock went to him rather than howard says a lot ... Been saying for the longest time mrazek will be a star and after this series I got no doubt

That being said he's still 23 and needs to improve obviously and the only way to do that is to make him play a lot

To be clear, my comments have nothing to do with how I feel about Mrazek.

He's just very inexperienced in the NHL. I'm not saying he won't succeed. I hope he does. It's just that it's a very bold move to trade away Howard for someone with such a short track record in the NHL.

You don't think there's any chance Howard asks for a trade?

It's possible I guess.

It would seem a little surprising to me because it probably means management has said Mrazek is getting the lionshare of the starts or Howard is not interested in trying to earn the job back.

howard has a ntc soooooooooo how can we move him his not going to oilers so quit thinking that he will want to go to a contender if he does allow it

Again, do you really think Howard is going to want to stick with a team that he knows probably won't be going with him in the playoffs moving forward? The guy wants to be the starter, plain and simple. He clearly was not happy with how things went down, and Mrazek did nothing but set himself up to be the new starter when it comes playoff time, even if they were to go A-B next year with Howard. I'll just be a bit surprised if Howard is content with that situation.

Ya I know :(

We all make mistakes? Lol well it's either him or Tatar and at least Tatar showed a bit more determination to get to pucks

With athanasiou larkin mantha bertuzzi coming and we got pulkkinen sheahan jurco nyquist Tatar now I think we could afford to give one up

We got kronwall datsyuk zetterberg for a few more years

Time for this team to have some balls and make a few changes

with all the kids coming and mrazek we could trade howard and nyquist and make this team even better than it is now

Personally I'd rather keep all of them as of now. Also Howard has a NTC so he won't be going anywhere.

He's just very inexperienced in the NHL. I'm not saying he won't succeed. I hope he does. It's just that it's a very bold move to trade away Howard for someone with such a short track record in the NHL.

No no I know your not saying anything negative about mrazek

I think we need to make a bold move ... Howard is a good trade asset ... We add a few good dmen and a quality backup the redwings will be a lot better

Time to make the last few yrs of hank and pav pay worth while ...and while were at it we should sit them a few games to get them ready for the playoffs

howard has a ntc soooooooooo how can we move him his not going to oilers so quit thinking that he will want to go to a contender if he does allow it

he might hold out on his ntc for a year, but by then mcdavid might show he really is the next crosby and howard might wanna catch a ride on that wave

but thats a while from now so who knows what might happen, its all speculation at this point

Personally I'd rather keep all of them as of now. Also Howard has a NTC so he won't be going anywhere.

Then well just keep getting tossed around against bigger teams when we go after pucks

Too many smallish guys ... And ones we got big like jurco are fall but not big and in his case still looks 15 lol

On a sidenote I hope we didn't ruin jurco by bringing him up too soon

No no I know your not saying anything negative about mrazek

I think we need to make a bold move ... Howard is a good trade asset ... We add a few good dmen and a quality backup the redwings will be a lot better

Time to make the last few yrs of hank and pav pay worth while ...and while were at it we should sit them a few games to get them ready for the playoffs

Howard could be a good trade asset. I guess it's possible but he'd have to waive his NTC and there would have to be a very reliable backup/borderline starter coming back in the trade.

But bold moves aren't exactly what Holland is known for.

He's just very inexperienced in the NHL....

If you don't play him and let him mature in the NHL, how will he ever gain experience in the NHL. That's like getting turned down for a job based on lack of experience (which is stupid) because where else are you going to gain the experience. All said with no disrespect to haroldsnepsts.

Edited by sum1

It's possible I guess.

It would seem a little surprising to me because it probably means management has said Mrazek is getting the lionshare of the starts or Howard is not interested in trying to earn the job back.

Even if they go 50-50, it's very likely that Mrazek's playoff performance this year is going to get him the nod heading into the playoffs next year. Howard knows this. Guys like Howard want to play all the time, especially in the playoffs. If he doesn't think he's going to get that opportunity here, I think he's likely to ask to be traded. And given how Mrazek played, even if they'd like him to go 50-50 next year, they'll likely be moving him into the starter role full-time the following season. I really think it could go either way, but I wouldn't be surprised if Howard wants to move on sooner rather than later with all this in mind. He's not exactly a spring chicken.

actually I might get flamed to my eyeballs for this but id see a more likely movement of Nyquist and Jurco before howard especially since Mrazek still needs room to grow I truly believe petr the great is just that but I cant see Howard being thrown away just yet remember wings almost did that with cujo when they got my guy hasek back but he went down for the year and we got lucky so cant really play Russian roulette with goalies

Howard could be a good trade asset. I guess it's possible but he'd have to waive his NTC and there would have to be a very reliable backup/borderline starter coming back in the trade.

But bold moves aren't exactly what Holland is known for.

That's what I'm worried about

I know it's like 98% certain howie returns ... I jugs think if we could trade him in a deal for a vlasic type we'd be way better off as a team

actually I might get flamed to my eyeballs for this but id see a more likely movement of Nyquist and Jurco before howard especially since Mrazek still needs room to grow I truly believe petr the great is just that but I cant see Howard being thrown away just yet remember wings almost did that with cujo when they got my guy hasek back but he went down for the year and we got lucky so cant really play Russian roulette with goalies

If there was no cap and Howard was happy to be relegated to a backup role come playoff time, it'd be a no brainer to keep him as long as possible. Given that there is a cap though, and that Howard might want to move to a team where he won't have to compete for starts or be a backup come playoff time, things might have to work out differently this time. It'll be very interesting to see what happens.

I also wonder how much the coaching situation might influence the goalie situation. I think Mrazek is clearly Babcock's guy at this point, and Babcock was the guy who made Howard a playoff backup. If he's back, which I think he will be, that might influence Howard's decision more. If a new coach comes in, Howard might be more open to the idea of winning back the starting role here for a time. But again, he knows how Babcock roles when he moves on to a new goalie; he was on the other end of it in 2010.

Edited by gcom007

If you trade Howard and improve the defense in front of Mrazek, it'll make Mrazek's job a lot easier, and can help his development without risking losing games due to rookie mistakes. I think it'd be best if we move Howard to improve other areas and sign a serviceable veteran to back him up.

Raise your hand if you actually think that a roster player or prospect will be traded this off-season. Or that Holland will be fired. Or that Howard will not start the majority of games next year. Or that the government had anything to do with 9/11.

If you said yes to any one of those, you are a crazy person.