• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Babcock granted permission to talk to other teams

Rate this topic

This mediocre team and players finished with 100 points and were leading the entire NHL after 65 games before the collapse. Let me guess, it was just luck we were in first after 65 games and it had nothing to do with our mediocre players. This mediocre team also took Tampa to 7 games and really should have won the series, while mediocre Montreal lost in 6 and mediocre Rangers might go 7 games as well, time will tell.Mediocre is mediocre. Maybe we should suck for the next 3-4 years so we are not mediocre anymore andget top 10 picks. Hopefully our drafting isn't mediocre now.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Say anything you want, the fact being is that this team played above their ability for a long time. Then almost blew it. Then Mrazek got hot in the playoffs. I'm an optimistic guy, but to say this is not a mediocre team that overachieved is being too optimistic. The talent level isn't there, but what got them that far is their heart- which is nothing to sneeze at. Couple the heart with some more talent, and we'll have a force on our hands. We're just not their yet.

Say anything you want, the fact being is that this team played above their ability for a long time. Then almost blew it. Then Mrazek got hot in the playoffs. I'm an optimistic guy, but to say this is not a mediocre team that overachieved is being too optimistic. The talent level isn't there, but what got them that far is their heart- which is nothing to sneeze at. Couple the heart with some more talent, and we'll have a force on our hands. We're just not their yet.

Not saying we are a contender, we obviously have some holes to fill but if we over achieved then you can say that about the other 29 teams.

I will say it again..

Boston won the Presidents Trophy last year, they missed the playoffs.

LA won the Stanley Cup last year, they missed the playoffs.

They definitely over achieved last year I guess....

Babcock himself said this was the best roster the Wings had since 2009. That was before Holland added Cole and Zidlicky at the deadline. So, whatever Babs thought last July or after the series with Tampa Bay is a bit of a ploy to make his coaching job seem better than it actually was.

There's not much for comparison purposes since the Wings have pretty consistently been a borderline playoff team the past six years, but the 2015 Red Wings were certainly better on paper than the 2013 team and that group eliminated the Ducks and took the champs to OT of Game 7. Babcock had more to work with now and they didn't even make it out of the first round again. I will give Babs credit for the job in 2014 with the injuries that hit, but you could argue the Wings have regressed overall the past two years and they weren't doing much prior either.

Certainly some of this can be attributed to transitional years or rebuilding on the fly and there are roster deficiencies that Holland still hasn't addressed. That being said, I still don't buy the argument that Babs is this massive overachiever as coach of the Red Wings. He's a very good coach that is beyond stubborn with his personnel management and he won three playoff games with the best collection of talent the organization has had since the Lidstrom years.

The Wings will be fine if Babs takes $5 million to coach the Buffalo Sabres. I'm sure Jeff Blashill can construct some genius plan similar to playing the 4th line for 18 minutes per game that might get the team out of the first round next season. I am thankful for the cup and Babs time here in Detroit, but the organization won't crumble if he walks out the door on Wednesday.

If he leaves, I hope he goes West. He knows this team too well for me to want to see him coach another team in the East. It would be Mclellan going to SJ all over again. Babs new team would just own us all the damn time. I could not handle it if that were to be the Leafs.

Not saying we are a contender, we obviously have some holes to fill but if we over achieved then you can say that about the other 29 teams.

I will say it again..

Boston won the Presidents Trophy last year, they missed the playoffs.

LA won the Stanley Cup last year, they missed the playoffs.

They definitely over achieved last year I guess....

I don't disagree. Under talented teams can over achieve, just like talented teams can under achieve. It takes more then talent to win, otherwise the Wings would have more cups.

I don't think LA is a good example of over achieving though, since it's easy to over achieve with a shutdown goalie.

Back on topic, I'd be surprised if Babcock leaves.

If he leaves, I hope he goes West. He knows this team too well for me to want to see him coach another team in the East. It would be Mclellan going to SJ all over again. Babs new team would just own us all the damn time. I could not handle it if that were to be the Leafs.

Nah, Babs won't know what to do when Glendening isn't out there against his new team for 22 minutes. Or Jurco on a line with actual skill.

I'd like Babs back, but sure would hate to lose Blash in the next year or so...how about we give Babs a contract a year at a time until Blash is ready to come up? I almost hope Babs leaves, because ANY new player we get he is not going to take Abby off the top line or Helm off the 2nd...He'll continue to put Pulk on the 4th and Big E in the #2 spot. I am about 70-30 in favor of him leaving... Blashill would bring in a new atmosphere and he would utilize players differently...