• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Babcock granted permission to talk to other teams

Rate this topic

Bob McKenzieVerified account @TSNBobMcKenzie

DET has granted Mike Babcock permission to talk to other NHL teams. Window open til late May. Doesn't mean Babcock leaving DET, window open.

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 5m5 minutes ago

Babcock will assess his situation at the end of the process (end of May). No doubt will meet with teams at Worlds. He's leaving on Monday.

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 3m3 minutes ago

Ken Holland expected to meet media at noon. Fairly certain he will confirm Detroits interest in keeping Babcock.

Edited by HockeytownRules19

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 58s58 seconds ago

Babcock and Holland decided on this course of action while driving to Grand Rapids last weekend. DET obviously wants Babcock back...

Yeah right. It's like banging the same girl. You get tired after a while and want a new one. Not sure why he'd want to stay.

we can trade him for picks now right? If he wants to leave-which appears to be the case, lets get something back!

I dont know why a team would trade for him when they can just sign him when his contract expires. Teams do that with UFA's because it gives them exclusive negotiation rights. Without that, a trade is pointless.

Yeah right. It's like banging the same girl. You get tired after a while and want a new one. Not sure why he'd want to stay.

I guess it all depends on how you view our kids. If you are a fan of Nyquist, Tatar, Juroco, Mrazek, Sproul, Ouelette, Marchenko, DD, Smith, AA, Pulkinen, Mantha, Larkin etc.its obvious why he would want to come back. If you think these kids are nothing special, then I see why people think he wouldn't. Personally, I'm excited for our future.

we can trade him for picks now right? If he wants to leave-which appears to be the case, lets get something back!

Doesn't work that way unless Babcock's under contract. If he comes to a verbal agreement with a team, they can just wait to sign him on July 1st while he's no longer Wings property.

Anyway, Babcock's as good as gone.

Doesn't work that way unless Babcock's under contract. If he comes to a verbal agreement with a team, they can just wait to sign him on July 1st while he's no longer Wings property.

Babcock is classier than that though

If the best coach in the league agrees to sign with your team during an exclusive negotiating window, and you tell him, 'naw, let's hold off for a month so I don't have to give up a third round draft pick to get you,' dont you think that might make him reconsider his options?

If the best coach in the league agrees to sign with your team during an exclusive negotiating window, and you tell him, 'naw, let's hold off for a month so I don't have to give up a third round draft pick to get you,' dont you think that might make him reconsider his options?

No? Why would he hurt his new team when he can just wait a month. If he can't commit to waiting a month to "make it all official" then he should probably be still exploring options anyway

Edited by number9

In order for him to sign with another team before July 1st, Detroit would have to terminate his contract no? If that's the case, I don't see how any team would be expected to compensate the Wings for signing Babcock, whether it's on July 1st or June 5th, if he no longer has a contract with them.

I don't really know how any of this works though.

I think we've all suspected Babcock would leave all season, so this isn't a surprise

If he returns I'll be happy, he's a good coach .... Another part of me thinks he's overrated and won't care if he goes either .... I mean when he went to the finals with us twice he had lidstrom and pav and hank in there prime, kronwall etc... And team canada was an all star team ... I do believe canada would of won with another coach

He leaves we get Blashill who might be on the verge of winning 2 calder cups , knows all our kids and prospects coming ... Seems like he may be pro rookies and give them a chance on the team and not make a jurco play a checking role let's say

Blashill or Babs I won't lose any sleep over who our coach is

Then we can all "shock" the hockey world yet again when a rookie coach leads us to the playoffs

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

I feel like he wants to win a couple more cups before he's done.. the only team I'm really worried about Babcock leaving for is st louis. They definitely have the talent he'd like to coach especially on defense.

Or, if more of a location thing in regard to Babcocks comments about his wife having a say in it, I could see san jose being a threat to take him.

I don't think any of the other vacancies make any sense for him. (oilers, leafs, buffalo, Philly... Are there more?)

Does this come as a surprise to anyone? He would be foolish not to take himself to market to see what the actual going rate for his services is. That will inform how negotiations with Detroit will go moving forward. Doesn't mean he's leaving.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/holland-explains-his-decision-to-allow-teams-to-speak-with-mike-babcock?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Holland has spoken to the media. Apparently the Wings drafted a "letter of compensation" that teams must sign if they want to have serious discussions with Babcock. They'll get a 3rd round pick. Also, it seems like this window closes May 25th.

Edited by rick zombo

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/holland-explains-his-decision-to-allow-teams-to-speak-with-mike-babcock?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Holland has spoken to the media. Apparently the Wings drafted a "letter of compensation" that teams must sign if they want to have serious discussions with Babcock. They'll get a 3rd round pick. Also, it seems like this window closes May 25th.

There you go. I guarantee you, no team is going to think a third round pick us too much to wrap this up now rather than waiting for june.

There's many a slip between a cup and a lip.

Does this come as a surprise to anyone? He would be foolish not to take himself to market to see what the actual going rate for his services is. That will inform how negotiations with Detroit will go moving forward. Doesn't mean he's leaving.

Besides, I'll cry if he leaves...no joke :(

Edited by Hockeymom1960