• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockey13Playa

Sean Avery - Transition Season

Rate this topic

I don't post on the forums much anymore but I do come on to check in and read over the threads. If this has been posted before my apologies. But I stumbled on a great article. For as much flaming Avery gets I thought this was worth a share. It's a great read. Enjoy!

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/sean-avery-why-i-retired-life-after-hockey/

I don't post on the forums much anymore but I do come on to check in and read over the threads. If this has been posted before my apologies. But I stumbled on a great article. For as much flaming Avery gets I thought this was worth a share. It's a great read. Enjoy!

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/sean-avery-why-i-retired-life-after-hockey/

I was ready to make a joke about Avery, then I read it.

And its shocking how down to earth and literate he is in the article.

He seems like a well balanced person, which is something I didn't think I would ever think of Sean Avery...

Thanks for the link!

Read this yesterday. Really good article. I think I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed Sean Avery on the ice. Glad to see he's transitioning well into a second career, it doesn't sound easy.

He acted like such an ass.

But he wasn't a bad 4th liner for a while there.

Yeah I know, most of the time I found it hilarious. Especially when he was "screening" Brodeur and then comes back down on the next offensive possession and scores a goal.

Most of us look forward to retiring, but most players don't get to leave on their own terms. They're just not re-signed. They have to go to the minor leagues or go on to something else with no training. It has to be tough. I had to quit the job I'd had for 15 years due to health, and it felt like I'd failed. I can't imagine how it must be for them.

On a lighter note, did anyone see "Sean Avery- Transition" and remember that he used to work at Vogue and think, "Oh, man, what is he up to now?"

I was ready to make a joke about Avery, then I read it.

And its shocking how down to earth and literate he is in the article.

He seems like a well balanced person, which is something I didn't think I would ever think of Sean Avery...

Thanks for the link!

I honestly think a lot of guys like him are brighter than they seem. I tend to think you've got to have something going on in your brain just to figure out how to be as big of an ass as he was. He knew what he was doing, and he did it very well. I think those questioning the sincerity of the article are way off the mark.

I honestly think a lot of guys like him are brighter than they seem. I tend to think you've got to have something going on in your brain just to figure out how to be as big of an ass as he was. He knew what he was doing, and he did it very well. I think those questioning the sincerity of the article are way off the mark.

Well. I get why they'd question him, the dudes done and said some pretty off the wall stuff.

But I agree,

I thought he came of pretty genuine in it.

Was going to basically say this. Obviously, he's not a dumby. He seems to understand himself and his skill set quite well. As a guy who thrived as an agitator, he understood that he was the villain, and so he did the villain thing 110%.

Now he's known as possibly the biggest hockey villain of all time, so I guess you could say he was successful in his goals.

The guy really is classless and the article is a total joke. "Whah, idk what I'm going to do when I can't play a game for money anymore!" Whatever, make smart choices and get your education. Anyone with a brain should know they aren't playing hockey into chelios and selanne years. So probably, maybe, go to school and figure out what you will do when you are replaced by someone younger and cheaper and enjoy the ride while it lasts. An athletes window is narrow depending on the sport and your skill at said sport. When you're done and shrugging your shoulders on what to do next, you have already failed. It's not like he wasn't already doing something else anyway. Walking around with his purses like the punk he is like when someone actually tried to fight him and he ducked and covered.

The guy really is classless and the article is a total joke. "Whah, idk what I'm going to do when I can't play a game for money anymore!" Whatever, make smart choices and get your education. Anyone with a brain should know they aren't playing hockey into chelios and selanne years. So probably, maybe, go to school and figure out what you will do when you are replaced by someone younger and cheaper and enjoy the ride while it lasts. An athletes window is narrow depending on the sport and your skill at said sport. When you're done and shrugging your shoulders on what to do next, you have already failed. It's not like he wasn't already doing something else anyway. Walking around with his purses like the punk he is like when someone actually tried to fight him and he ducked and covered.

You said the article was a joke, then your advice was just a summary of the article, so you basically agree with him. Minus the incoherent ramblings at the end of your post.

Avery does hit on some high lights, some retired pro athletes may not have an education, manage money, or what do I do now kind of thought?

Not to tread into politicsl discussions, but reformed convicts or even vets once they get out of the army don't have the skills sometimes or know how to transition into regular society

Guest Playmaker

I'm not saying he's not intelligent. He's just an insecure jerk. The low class personal attacks he made on other players is indicative of that. Racial slurs, degrading women, mocking another player's cancer. Trash talk is one thing, but total disrespect is another. His own team mates didn't want to play with him. Kirk Maltby was an "agitator", but I don't think there are many other NHL players who wouldn't want him in the locker room with them. Ditto Chelios, Ryan Smyth, and most other well known "agitators" in the league. Even in the article, he tries to slip in the back handed slams about the wives/girlfriend thing. As though he's above all that and better than the other players.

I'm not unsympathetic to their career ending issues. But it's hardly the only profession where this is the case. I've had several colleagues who have had to retire early or make a career transition due to the physical stresses, back, neck, shoulder, eyesight issues, etc. How many gainfully employed people found themselves out of work or looking for a new career back when the recession hit? So to act like this is something exclusive to professional athletes is kind of pompous. Not to mention, they have money early on, they just don't manage it well. Where as most of us in the real world start out at the bottom with nothing and have to work our way into a more comfortable financial situation.

In a previous article on the same subject there was more of the same "poor me". Like I couldn't pull into the parking lot with 7 Hall of Famers in a used car!?!?. I couldn't not buy the $750 pair of pants because all other guys could afford it. Give me a break. Then more whining with well, you might make x amount of dollars, but then they take half in taxes and then your agent takes a cut and then the league. Wah, Poor Sean Avery. Give the baby his bottle and his dolls and his dress up clothes.

Getting pro athletes an education and a second career direction isn't a bad idea, but it also would smart to be cognizant of the fans who don't have a minimum salary of $750k.

I thought someone had said that the players don't actually write the articles. At the bottom Avery is listed as "contributor."

I don't doubt he's a smart guy and definite marches to his own drummer, often in an interesting way off the ice. On the ice he was an idiot though. And he glosses over the part that he "decided" to retire because no one in the NHL wanted him anymore. Avery had a great skillset, it just wasn't worth all the baggage and distractions that came with him anymore.

He's still only 35 years old and could still be playing in the NHL if he ever figured out how to be a professional and a good teammate.

Good read and also a nice example of why players need to make as much money as possible during their playing careers.

I think life after hockey is a tough thing for most athletes all of a sudden they'll need to create their own routines, no more private jets and not being part of the show anymore...But if they really miss it that much former players can still work in hockey like jobs or become a coach, GM in one of the minor leagues.

Hated his antics but the guy for sure knows how to run a business and his restaurant seems to be doing very well. This is a 35 old guy with 20 million in the bank so financially he is set.

That being said I think the new nhlpa program is great and should help players with their transition time.

Good read and also a nice example of why players need to make as much money as possible during their playing careers.

I think life after hockey is a tough thing for most athletes all of a sudden they'll need to create their own routines, no more private jets and not being part of the show anymore...But if they really miss it that much former players can still work in hockey like jobs or become a coach, GM in one of the minor leagues.

Hated his antics but the guy for sure knows how to run a business and his restaurant seems to be doing very well. This is a 35 old guy with 20 million in the bank so financially he is set.

That being said I think the new nhlpa program is great and should help players with their transition time.

Where do you get he has $20million in the bank? He said in the article "Even if you retire with $20 million in your bank account (and hardly anyone but a major-superstar-endorsement-deal-king does that), you still have to reckon with the fact that when next season starts, youll be watching from the stands."

And by all accounts he has a net worth of $7.5million, nothing to shake a stick at, but nowhere near $20million

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/hockey/sean-avery-net-worth/

Guest Playmaker

http://pagesix.com/2014/11/04/sean-avery-has-meltdown-days-before-off-broadway-debut/

He hasn't changed. He's still the same narcissist he was when he played hockey. Let me guess, his director abused him. The fellow actors just weren't as "intellectual" as he was. it's just a persona he's trying to create to deal with all the pressure of being a small man in a small play with a small part. Of course he pulled the "Don't you know who I am?!" line.

I don't see where it says he has 20 million. He says most guys don't when they retire. I don't really think he's "in the restaurant business" I think its more a case of someone needed cash and he put some money up. I think he's trying to give off the impression he has this immensely successful post hockey career, after he "chose" to retire(oh yeah, after being banished to the minors where everyone there hated him too), and after all that abuse from his coach. What a pain it was to have to be in the room with a bunch of classy elite athletes who didn't want to talk about dolls and clothes. Clearly they weren't as intellectual as he was.

Like Harold said, he could probably still be playing in the league or have a nice job as a commentator, but he's alienated himself from nearly everyone in the game with his attitude. I think he's realizing that he needed hockey far more than it needed him. What he forgot to mention in the article is that people gave a s*** about him and let him into clubs and fashion shows because he was NHL player Sean Avery. Now he's some has been and nobody cares. I don't think this has anything to do with helping other players or giving advice. More like his desperate attempt to try and stay relevant. He's slithering back to the NHL world with his tail between his legs trying to pretend like he cares about anyone but Sean Avery.

It's unfortunate because I think the message is a good one, but the messenger, not so much.

Most of us look forward to retiring, but most players don't get to leave on their own terms. They're just not re-signed. They have to go to the minor leagues or go on to something else with no training. It has to be tough. I had to quit the job I'd had for 15 years due to health, and it felt like I'd failed. I can't imagine how it must be for them.

On a lighter note, did anyone see "Sean Avery- Transition" and remember that he used to work at Vogue and think, "Oh, man, what is he up to now?"

Totally assumed Sean would be transitioning to Caitlin Avery.