• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Curtis Glencross regrets taking hometown discount

Rate this topic

Free agent Glencross regrets last deal with Flames: 'You can't take a hometown discount'

cropped_USPW_580592.jpg?ts=1425222341

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/818687?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If he could do it all over again, Curtis Glencross would take the opportunity to cash in.

With NHL training camps set to begin in a matter of weeks, the unrestricted free-agent forward remains without a contract, and Glencross is lamenting the now-expired four-year, $10.2-million deal he signed with the Calgary Flames back in 2011.

Instead of exploring his options and seeking the best possible deal at that point in his career, he re-upped with the Flames at below market value. The 32-year-old believes he set himself back, based on how his time in Calgary ended.

"If I could do it again ... as much as I love (Calgary) and call it home and met great people, at the same time, when it's time for you to cash in, you have to take advantage and cash in," he told Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun. "You can't take a pay cut or hometown discount because things change."

"I loved my time in Calgary and the organization," Glencross added, "but you learn that eventually it's a business and you're just a number."

Glencross scored a career-high 26 goals during the first season of that four-year extension, but his production dropped as his ice time diminished under head coach Bob Hartley.

Dealt to the Washington Capitals prior to the trade deadline this past season, teams aren't offering anything close to what he could have made in 2011, and he may have to accept a pro tryout should he fail to sign a contract before camp.

"I thought something would be done by now, but obviously, the market is not there, and everyone is against the cap," he said. "Teams are paying the top two lines so much money that all they can do is fill with entry-level guys who are going to not cost much.

"We've talked to a few teams. They want to do a trade before camp, but it seems like no team wants to make the first move. So I'm just waiting. There's still got to be something out there. I still want to play. I'm only 32 and thinking I have a few more years left in me. "

"I have a young family, and it's tough to bounce around on a PTO - it has to be a good opportunity, too, so I can do well and get an extension," Glencross added.

In 507 career games, Glencross has scored 134 goals, four of which came in 18 games with the Capitals, for whom he added one in ten playoff games.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Stupid move on his part to say these things when he's currently an unrestricted FA looking for a team willing to extend him if he plays well. Now everyone knows he'll seek the max amount he can get or walk. Is he really that upset that he missed out on signing a ridiculous contract so he could get bought out 2 years into it and be in the same situation he's in now?

That being said, it's hard to feel sorry for someone who wasn't responsible enough with his spending when he makes that amount of money.

The article never said he's broke or was reckless with his money. Just his sentiment that he could have cashed in on his last big contract instead of taking a discount.

Athletes should cash in when they get a chance, since injuries can strike at any moment. Which is the reason I'm never offended when a player leaves for another team. On the flip side if Glencross played better he wouldn't have a problem finding a decent deal, the guy's only 32.

I feel bad for him and his fate is exactly the reason why players shouldn't give a discount at all. I'm always amazed when people say players should sign for a lot than they are worth to do the teams a favor. Why should they a hockey career can end at any time it just takes one serious injury and a guy could be done.

Also this should be a remainder why it's important to get a good education, just signing PTOs and not knowing if you'll receive money is a tough thing when you have to feed a whole family. Just another example on how stupid the CBA always was and always will be, good guys are getting punished and faced out way too early.

I'm hoping he can find a job somewhere and make up for that stupid home discount he gave a few years back.

Yeah seriously I could live off 1 million for the rest of my life and probably still have a small family maybe me or my wife would have to get a part time job, you just have to be smart with your money. I bet its very expensive to stay in those big Canadian cities especially since the players are out buying million dollar homes..

I feel bad for him and his fate is exactly the reason why players shouldn't give a discount at all. I'm always amazed when people say players should sign for a lot than they are worth to do the teams a favor. Why should they a hockey career can end at any time it just takes one serious injury and a guy could be done.

Also this should be a remainder why it's important to get a good education, just signing PTOs and not knowing if you'll receive money is a tough thing when you have to feed a whole family. Just another example on how stupid the CBA always was and always will be, good guys are getting punished and faced out way too early.

I'm hoping he can find a job somewhere and make up for that stupid home discount he gave a few years back.

Oh the horror how is he going to feed his family on all those millions he made?

Yeah seriously I could live off 1 million for the rest of my life and probably still have a small family maybe me or my wife would have to get a part time job, you just have to be smart with your money. I bet its very expensive to stay in those big Canadian cities especially since the players are out buying million dollar homes..

Calgary is indeed a very expensive city to live in, but $10 million is more than enough money for a lifetime if your not out buying stupid expensive stuff all the time. He could retire now, never work again, and still pass a nice inheritence on to his kids. Greedy.

Edited by chaps80

Again, Glencross isn't saying anything about struggling to live on the millions he's made.

He's talking about leaving money on the table. Now that he's been traded after taking a hometown discount he realizes that this is first and foremost a business and regrets his decision.

If he didn't realize the NHL is a business a long time ago, that's his fault. His career is on a downward progression. He will not be getting the home run deal he seeks. Guys without contracts now will have to accept tryouts with teams to get back into the league. He'll be no different. If a team does want him, he'll have to likely accept a 1 year deal. He needs to know his value and stay in his lane. He's Curtis Glencross not Johnny Gaudreau.

If he didn't realize the NHL is a business a long time ago, that's his fault. His career is on a downward progression. He will not be getting the home run deal he seeks. Guys without contracts now will have to accept tryouts with teams to get back into the league. He'll be no different. If a team does want him, he'll have to likely accept a 1 year deal. He needs to know his value and stay in his lane. He's Curtis Glencross not Johnny Gaudreau.

Well, he's essentially saying the same thing you are. He thinks he made a mistake and regrets it

He point totals are actually not on a straight "downward progression":

10-11: 43 pts.

11-12: 48 pts.

12-13: 26 pts. (38 GP) lockout shortened

13-14: 24 pts. (40 GP)

14-15: 35 pts

He's been pretty steady for points even though he's played for some pretty awful Flames teams and was injured half of 13-14. He's 32. A guy like him should be able to get a 2-3 year deal. This year teams just seem to up against the cap this year and have been hugging the check book a little tighter.

Edit: I just hope Helm and Abdelkader don't read these articles.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Again, Glencross isn't saying anything about struggling to live on the millions he's made.

He's talking about leaving money on the table. Now that he's been traded after taking a hometown discount he realizes that this is first and foremost a business and regrets his decision.

I think the people commenting about "the struggle to feed his family" are referring to Frank's comments, not so much Glencross's comments.

Well, he's essentially saying the same thing you are. He thinks he made a mistake and regrets it

He point totals are actually not on a straight "downward progression":

10-11: 43 pts.

11-12: 48 pts.

12-13: 26 pts. (38 GP) lockout shortened

13-14: 24 pts. (40 GP)

14-15: 35 pts

He's been pretty steady for points even though he's played for some pretty awful Flames teams and was injured half of 13-14. He's 32. A guy like him should be able to get a 2-3 year deal. This year teams just seem to up against the cap this year and have been hugging the check book a little tighter.

Edit: I just hope Helm and Abdelkader don't read these articles.

Exactly.

It's not like he literally didn't understand it was a business. If a player doesn't take a hometown discount as fans we call him greedy. Then a player expresses regret for taking a hometown discount and now he's greedy AND stupid.

It's not like Glencross literally didn't understand the NHL is a business. During contract negotiations I'm sure management lobbies for him to be a "team player" and take a hometown discount. He got traded after a bad stretch and now feels his loyalty to them was not returned.

It is a business, but I get why he regrets it. He didn't capitalize when the conditions were tilted more in his favor. Most players just don't talk about it that openly.

Guest Playmaker

Nothing I can't stand more than those "oh, poor little millionaire" type posts. I sympathize with his plight, but players should be aware of how it comes off.

That said, I think there are likely just as many, maybe more, players who left a good situation and bolted for the big contract, and really regretted it. Hindsight is 20/20. I really don't know enough about his career to know how much he left on the table. If he can still play, he'll get a shot somewhere and might be able to still cash in if he proves himself.

No he did'nt say he's struggling, but why say those things? Pretty pointless. Does he expect sympathy because he left money on the table and now he regrets it because teams aren't throwing big contracts at him and he's still a UFA with training camps looming? He got paid $10 million dollars to play hockey for four seasons. He should just keep his mouth shut.

No he did'nt say he's struggling, but why say those things? Pretty pointless. Does he expect sympathy because he left money on the table and now he regrets it because teams aren't throwing big contracts at him and he's still a UFA with training camps looming? He got paid $10 million dollars to play hockey for four seasons. He should just keep his mouth shut.

Why do you think he expects sympathy? Why should he keep his mouth shut? He's being interviewed!! Goodness gracious it's just an article about an unsigned free agent and his thoughts. No where does he come off as entitled or anything, he's just expressing that in hindsight he had what was likely one opportunity to cash in and he didn't. It's an interesting perspective on the state of the league from a non elite player.