• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hillbillywingsfan

McDavid with a dirty hit not called.

Rate this topic

Ok so I understand this kid is suppose to be the next big thing in Hockey but if they are going to let him get away with this kind of a hit he isn't going to last very long. Someone is going to put him on his butt.

https://streamable.com/ljh0

Oh and he scored his first goal which was a weak deflection that didn't even help in that game and he got way more praise than Eichel. Was even compared to the Great one already.

I'm so confused by all the conspiracy theories. It's hard to keep them straight.

I thought the NHL was secretly conspiring to help the Penguins win, and Crosby to be the poster boy for the league.

But then they stopped being good, and everybody told me that the NHL was conspiring to help the Blackhawks win, and for Toews to be the poster boy for the league.

Now you're insinuating that the NHL is conspiring to help the Oilers win, and for McDavid to be the poster boy for the league?

I guess the only thing that's consistent is that no matter who the NHL is secretly conspiring to help win, it's DEFINITELY not the team that's done all the winning for the last 25 years. It's hard being a Wings fan.

Edited by kipwinger

Or maybe just preferential treatment is being given to a young star, but some hing like that is completely unheard of so I understand your skepticism.

I'm not skeptical of the fact that high profile players tend not to get disciplined. It happens. We've certainly been the beneficiary of it from time to time (Kronwall).

I'm skeptical of this constant conspiratorial undercurrent among Red Wings fans. Not a season goes by in which there isn't some new league conspiracy to do some new nefarious thing...always to the exclusion of Detroit, of course.

Look at last night's GDT. Peruse the comments and see how many are some variation of this general theme, "The refs are letting Tampa get away with something that they aren't letting Detroit get away with". It's bogus, and worse, intellectually lazy and boring.

There are no conspiracies. The league lets some players get away with things, and not others, but it's the same for ALL teams' superstars. The refs make calls and miss calls all the time, but not in an effort to screw one team or another.

I have no idea when, or why, Detroit fans became such babies. Our city is the most brutal, violent, roughneck, hardcore city in the country and ironically our fanbase seems to be the most whiny at times. It's gross.

I vote we stop complaining about all the ref/league/Bettman conspiracies. But that's just me.

Edited by kipwinger

Specific ones are sure. But how many people around here actually believe Dan O'Halloran has a vendetta against the Wings? A bunch. How many people actually believe Bettman "handed Pittsburgh the Cup" in '09? A bunch. How many people rail, game after game, about missed calls against our team, but seem wholly oblivious to all the missed calls which benefit our team? A bunch.

Those aren't sarcastic jokes. That's an actual pattern of behavior, and based on my (nonscientific) interaction with other teams' fanbases, we're worse about it than most (in the same way that Chicago fans are worse about hopping on the bandwagon than most).

I'm not buying that we're worse then most, all fans are exactly the same.

As far as O'Halloran goes I have no clue whether he has a vendetta against the Wings or not, but if you want to talk about a pattern of behavior, well...

Id also like to say IMHO that this is a strange issue to get all up in arms about.

I'm not buying that we're worse then most, all fans are exactly the same.

As far as O'Halloran goes I have no clue whether he has a vendetta against the Wings or not, but if you want to talk about a pattern of behavior, well...

Id also like to say IMHO that this is a strange issue to get all up in arms about.

I'm not really up in arms about it. It's a thing I've talked about for a long time around here, and I call it out when I see it. People will keep thinking the league/refs/Bettman hate the Wings (or favor some other team), and I'll keep saying its dumb. It's the ciiiiircle of liiiiife.

As far as O'Halloran goes, sure, he called off some goals that should have counted. Mostly on Holmstrom. But Holmstrom interfered with goalies ALL THE TIME and never got called for it. We all talk about the ones taken from us by O'Halloran, but how many goals do you think got counted over the years that shouldn't have (if refs had been officiating as closely as everybody purportedly wants them to)? Or is the theory that Holmstrom was almost always in the right, and that occasionally refs just decided to screw him over?

I'm so confused by all the conspiracy theories. It's hard to keep them straight.

I thought the NHL was secretly conspiring to help the Penguins win, and Crosby to be the poster boy for the league.

But then they stopped being good, and everybody told me that the NHL was conspiring to help the Blackhawks win, and for Toews to be the poster boy for the league.

Now you're insinuating that the NHL is conspiring to help the Oilers win, and for McDavid to be the poster boy for the league?

I guess the only thing that's consistent is that no matter who the NHL is secretly conspiring to help win, it's DEFINITELY not the team that's done all the winning for the last 25 years. It's hard being a Wings fan.

Where did I even say that kip? Stop trying to find some argument thats not even there.

You are just being silly now Kip. I just posted a video talking about a hit that the kid made that there was no call when there should of been. Get off of you soapbox already It;s getting tiresome.

And talking about wings fans being babies now. I would say I know one that has been the biggest on this site. Not to mention any names since you aren't.

And I think per the rules derailing a thread is against them. I could be wrong here.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

So calling me out on some fictitious conspiracy theory is staying on topic of this thread? You already forget the rules Kip? They just posted them last week maybe check them out again before you go taking it upon yourself to call people out in threads.

I'm not really derailing the thread. The title of the thread has two components A) McDavid had a dirty hit, and B) the refs didn't punish him for it. Elsewhere you noted that the league will "make sure you hear about McDavid :-)". Which ham handedly insinuated league intervention on behalf of McDavid.

I was just responding to that. If you didn't want it to be a part of the discussion, you should have left it out. I'd suggest titling the thread "Connor McDavid's Dirty Hit", and left it at that.

Edited by kipwinger

I'm not really up in arms about it. It's a thing I've talked about for a long time around here, and I call it out when I see it. People will keep thinking the league/refs/Bettman hate the Wings (or favor some other team), and I'll keep saying its dumb. It's the ciiiiircle of liiiiife.

As far as O'Halloran goes, sure, he called off some goals that should have counted. Mostly on Holmstrom. But Holmstrom interfered with goalies ALL THE TIME and never got called for it. We all talk about the ones taken from us by O'Halloran, but how many goals do you think got counted over the years that shouldn't have (if refs had been officiating as closely as everybody purportedly wants them to)? Or is the theory that Holmstrom was almost always in the right, and that occasionally refs just decided to screw him over?

I haven't spent any time on other team's forums, but I would suspect they have similar complaints about successful teams, including the Red Wings.

I believe the reasons for abundant conspiracy theory discussion are, the Internet for whatever reason, tends to be the platform that people feel most comfortable in expressing that particular psychological preference, and also sports in general have a tendancy to appeal to the more emotional side of people, which of course lends itself to conspiracy.

It would be massively impractical to have a wide scale organized effort to favor one team or player over others, any preferential treatment is likely the result of one individual's subjectivity.

I haven't spent any time on other team's forums, but I would suspect they have similar complaints about successful teams, including the Red Wings.

I believe the reasons for abundant conspiracy theory discussion are, the Internet for whatever reason, tends to be the platform that people feel most comfortable in expressing that particular psychological preference, and also sports in general have a tendancy to appeal to the more emotional side of people, which of course lends itself to conspiracy.

It would be massively impractical to have a wide scale organized effort to favor one team or player over others, any preferential treatment is likely the result of one individual's subjectivity.

I completely agree. And it would be the least successful conspiracy ever, considering how often we win. So why worry about it?

But it's crazy, I live in the DC. I watch nearly as many Caps' games as I do Wings' games. I talk to their fans, I go to their bars, I read their sports pages. And yet, I never ever run across people who are so wholly convinced that A) their team is being screwed, or B) that another team is being unfairly helped. For example, they all hate the Pens, and Crosby, for being whiny, arrogant, and entitled. But they don't think the league is secretly guiding them toward success, and they have a more well established rivalry with the Pens than we do.

Does anybody else who lives in another teams' city have the same experience?

Speaking of which, don't you have work to do? Every post you make between 9 and 5 on LGWs is a waste of tax payer's $$$ :lol:

Unlike your average American, I'm able to multitask. It's what got me this bitchin' govt. job in the first place. YOLO.

Did Holmstrom interfere? Absolutely. Did he always interfere? No. Was there a feeling that Dan was more aware of Holmstrom's penchant for interfering and was always ready to make a call, right or wrong? I think so. It's just like an umpire giving a strike throwing pitcher 6 inches of the corner because of his reputation.

Back on topic the Mcdavid hit was just missed, plain and simple. The refs will be more aware of him following that hit though.

Edited by wings87

I'm not skeptical of the fact that high profile players tend not to get disciplined. It happens. We've certainly been the beneficiary of it from time to time (Kronwall).

I'm skeptical of this constant conspiratorial undercurrent among Red Wings fans. Not a season goes by in which there isn't some new league conspiracy to do some new nefarious thing...always to the exclusion of Detroit, of course.

Look at last night's GDT. Peruse the comments and see how many are some variation of this general theme, "The refs are letting Tampa get away with something that they aren't letting Detroit get away with". It's bogus, and worse, intellectually lazy and boring.

There are no conspiracies. The league lets some players get away with things, and not others, but it's the same for ALL teams' superstars. The refs make calls and miss calls all the time, but not in an effort to screw one team or another.

I have no idea when, or why, Detroit fans became such babies. Our city is the most brutal, violent, roughneck, hardcore city in the country and ironically our fanbase seems to be the most whiny at times. It's gross.

I vote we stop complaining about all the ref/league/Bettman conspiracies. But that's just me.

There's no conspiracy. He should have been suspended for that hit, period.

Edited by Hockeymom1960

That wasn't a good hit. Did the guy get injured on said play? Hopefully draws him some attention so refs are looking for it next time.

McD gotta be playing with some yips still. Lot of pressure on his shoulders for the youngster, but then again, it is the Oilers.