• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NerveDamage

3/26 GDT : Pittsburgh Penguins at Detroit Red Wings, 2:00 PM ET

Rate this topic

Mrazek was the top 3 in GAA and Save% at the start of the year. Now hes 9th in both. Stats prove his game has slipped.

Agreed. His confidence is shaken and his play has definitely dropped. The defense isn't that great, no doubt, but its the same defense that played in front of him all season. One of the biggest aspects of his game that's changed for the worse is letting up big rebounds. This defense simply isn't good enough to handle clearing those away.

Fair enough. My comments weren't directed specifically at you. There are others who blame goaltenders only.

All I'm saying is that the entire team needs to be held accountable. Not just goaltending. Not just Holland. Not just the coaching staff.

I doubt anyone is stupid enough to just blame the goaltending for the entire season.

I doubt anyone is stupid enough to just blame the goaltending for the entire season.

Ya hes still had a strong season and him and Howards first half play are the only reason this team is even close. If they are going to take the accolades though they also need to take the brunt of the responsibility for there poor play recently as well.

I think one thing is apparent... The on-the-fly strategy of replacing older players (that've retired or whatever) with younger guys hasn't worked. We haven't had high level draft picks and the newer guys (for the most part) haven't stepped up to the level that we need them to for filling in the holes.

This has led to the state of mediocrity that we have now. I think it's been in a pretty steady decline since we were fighting these Pens for the Cup.

I think one thing is apparent... The on-the-fly strategy of replacing older players (that've retired or whatever) with younger guys hasn't worked. We haven't had high level draft picks and the newer guys (for the most part) haven't stepped up to the level that we need them to for filling in the holes.

This has led to the state of mediocrity that we have now. I think it's been in a pretty steady decline since we were fighting these Pens for the Cup.

It works if those young guys turn into stars like Datts and Zetts and you make some smart trades. Neither has happened lately.

Its a little early for "end of the streak" talk. We still have a pretty favorable schedule and Boston is struggling just as badly as we are. Still a lot of hockey to be played.

This. It's far from over.

Getting scored on three times within around 10 minutes is still unacceptable for a team that desperately wants to get into the playoffs though.

Edited by derblaueClaus

Yeah, Nyquist and Tatar have shown this season that their ceiling is not that high. The league has figured them out and they haven't improved like Datsyuk and Zetterberg did every year at their age.

We haven't really developed any defensemen who are top level. We were lucky Dekeyser joined the Wings, but I don't think he's ever going to be solid offensively. Kronwall never filled in well for Lidstrom as a number 1.

Here's the problem with Holland and the mind job he's done on the IIllich family. Holland points to the fact that this team is REALLY close because we had Chicago, Anaheim and TB "beat" in our playoff series against them. If you couple this idea with the parity in the league you see how he has convinced everybody.

Edited by gowings00

We just finally aren't able to make the playoffs. Might just be what we need anyways. We are not a feared team. First Round exit every year regardless. Maybe we can make some big changes because it's hard to watch them not put up a fight with the season on the line. I think the defense stinks and the offense, with all that talent, isn't that much better.

Here's the problem with Holland and the mind job he's done on the IIllich family. Holland points to the fact that this team is REALLY close because we had Chicago, Anaheim and TB "beat" in our playoff series against them. If you couple this idea with the parity in the league you see how he has convinced everybody.

Holland must have overlooked how his team choked in 2003, 2004 and 2006 against teams that were never heard of after those seasons. Anything can happen in one series or one year. It's what you do every year that counts. This team has been bounced in the first round three of the last four seasons. The one time we weren't we won game 7 on the road against Anaheim, and then fell apart against Chicago.

The last three seasons have shown that 2013 was a fluke (almost) playoff run. Not a building block for success. Holland can go eat s***.