• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

IMO there are 3 dmen in GR that will be on this team within the next 4 years. Russo, Hicketts and Saarijarvi. They will replace Kronwall, Ericsson and Smith respectively. If there is a deal made, it'll be for someone to lead this D into that era. Now, maybe Smith gets dealt in a fowler deal, but here is what I see in that time.

(Assuming it's Fowler)

Fowler - Saarijarvi

DeKeyser - Hicketts

Russo - Marchenko

Not in that order, but for sure our top 6. Unfortunately Jensen, Sproul and XO have no future here and will probably be dealt or waived or spend their careers in GR. They could sign elsewhere if they choose to.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 52s53 seconds ago

#RedWings have filed for salary arbitration with Petr Mrazek. Sides will continue negotiations in hopes of getting deal before hearing.

We have roughly $9M available with our LTIR, give them both $4.5M deals for 4 years each. Then make the trade for our top guy. Going to have to trade Howard this season....to someone.

Hicketts has done well, but at 5'8" he's very much a long shot to make it to the NHL.

Torey Krug says hello. I wouldn't call him a long shot, nor would I personally call him a guarantee. I think, having watched him play for Victoria and at the WJHC for Canada, I think he's going to make the NHL. Whether or not he's a top 4, let alone a top 6 is up to him.

Torey Krug says hello. I wouldn't call him a long shot, nor would I personally call him a guarantee. I think, having watched him play for Victoria and at the WJHC for Canada, I think he's going to make the NHL. Whether or not he's a top 4, let alone a top 6 is up to him.

Krug's 5'9"so Hicketts is even smaller. I know there are short guys. St. Louis was 5'8", Gerbe, etc. But there's few of them for a reason. though, and even less among Dmen. It's the same reason why a player of Hicketts calibre went undrafted. I've been impressed with him, but I still consider him a long shot.

I completely disagree. I believe all three of Ouellet, Sproul and even Jensen have just as good or better shot at making the team over Hicketts and Saarijarvi...

Well they have to make it now....I believe one of them will be dealt of lost to waivers.

I don't pay attention to GR. I have an interest when some of the true hockey fans here speak glowingly of kids at the lower level. I have been hearing of Ouellett, Sproul and Jensen seems like forever, they're on the

20 year plan to perhaps maybe someday play for the Wings. If they can't make the team this year or hell the last couple years the way this defense has played I'm not sure they have a future in hockey. Time to cut bait and find

guys to play. I'm glad their options are up maybe someone within the organization might have to make a real decision and fix our defense once and for all. Really tiresome to constantly hear of the kids, the youth, the future and

then have to talk trade once we finally have no choice but to play them.

I agree, but then again, there has been very little room on this team with the wasting of money and roster spots for KFQ and BFE. KFQ should've never been resigned 4 years ago. E should be gone now. If these two weren't on the roster the last 4 years, then we could've maybe seen what XO or Sproul could do in the NHL. Jensen was the best puck moving dman last training camp, but didn't get to sniff NHL ice because of the jam up. There's only one spot open, I hope Holland loses the other two for free just because of his "loyalty" to overpaid, overrated defensemen.

Well it was pretty clear Larkin and AA were the most exciting things going last year and the organizational gurus had deep debate on whether Larkin should start the year with the Wings

or be sent down to do God knows what all season. AA exploded on the scene and was IMO the most exciting guy at the end of the year yet Blashill couldn't find the minutes to play him

on a sluggish offensive team and this year people are again talking about him and GR in the same sentence. As an outsider (fan) its not too difficult to see the guys in charge are clueless and I

just don't get the love to let talent rot while we play guys that are average or slightly below average at best.

IMO, we have a 4th line,

Miller - disney.com - Ott

There's no need to keep Jurco or Pulk if they're not going to get top 9 play. There is also no need to keep them in the press box. Trade them for something. You have very capable 13th/14th forwards tgat are in GR.

Mantha and AA should be on the opening night roster. If, for tgat to happen, Nyquist needs to be dealt, so be it.

Problem is, there is no room with the signing of Helm. He has taken up a very valuable roster spot.

IMO this should be the lineup:

Zetterberg - Larkin - Abby

Tatar - Nielsen - Vanek

Sheahan - AA - Mantha

Miller - disney.com - Ott

Frk

...but Helm screws the whole thing up.

Helm >>>>> Miller and Ott combined...

If I'm sticking with your roster, bottom 6 should be...

Athanasiou - Sheahan / Helm - Mantha

Miller / Ott - Sheahan / Helm - Glendening

Yes, but Helm is not top 9 material, but because of his contract he won't be 4th line. If he were on the 4th, I could agree with you, but he's not better than the 3 I listed on my 3rd line. Helm was not signed to be 4th line, but he isn't as good as players that should be 3rd line. Because of his deal, one or both AA and Mantha will be in GR.

Plus disney.com isn't going anywhere.

Edited by LeftWinger

Advanced analytics aren't used for scouting, It's used for NHL players. I feel like you have zero grasp of what this conversation is about.

I'm well aware of what this conversation is about , I just don't agree with your comments and others ... Can't simply determine a players worth by looking at a chart , by your logic any Joe from the streets who never watched hockey before can see who's a better player just by looking at analytics

Anyways that's all I'll say about this I seen a lot of people already losing it about this analytics debate so I won't keep this going on and to be honest I'd much rather talk about how this team can be greatly improved through some trades for the upcoming season as we clearly need a lot of help on the back end

Hicketts has done well, but at 5'8" he's very much a long shot to make it to the NHL.

If he remotely has any value due to his performances on team canada he should be included in a package deal if needed

I am a Hicketts fan. If it was left to skill he would play in the NHL next season. But that size makes him vulnerable on the defensive end.

It's worth mentioning that he is taking contact when playing now and does fine. But I believe the speed and mass of the forwards in the NHL might just be to much for him.

I would like him to seriously beef up next season, 10 pounds of pure muscle at the least. With that strength I'd be interested to see if he can compete on the highest level.

Edited by Jacksoni

I'd be surprised if either Hickets or Sarijaarvi play 50 games in the NHL. Small defensemen almost never make it. For every Krug there are dozens of Almquists

I thought Sarijaarvi was projected to be a stud?

To some, yes, others, no... He's a perfect example of a "bang or bust" type of prospect.

I'm personally not very high on him at all, and would be surprised if he ever makes the NHL. Of course I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a top pairing, power-play quarterback stud defenseman...

Saarijarvi does see pretty "boom or bust."

He's very offensively talented; 12 goals & 43 points in 59 games in his first season in the OHL with the seemingly dysfunctional firebirds.. But also seems to need work defensively; -15 in those games.

I never take much stock in +/-, and certainly not for a player on a team as terrible as Flint was last season. They finished 3rd last in the league, with a 0.338 win percentage a -95 goal differential... Also when you consider only one player on the entire team had a positive +/- rating with a +2, and the worst was a -45, it puts Vili's -15 somewhat in perspective...

Saarijarvi had a great year in junior and I expect him to improve on those numbers next season in Mississauga, but whether or not his game and lack of size (5'9, 165lbs.) will translate to the NHL is the question...