• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

No.

Barrie and Landeskog are, for my money, two of the best players in the league. They have, I feel, been held back by Roy and, in a different way, by Sakic. They're possession monsters on an awful, awful, awful possession team. They put up points. They're proven top-end talents.

I'm not convinced that DeKeyser is more than a second-pairing defenseman. But Roy thinks Barrie is a #5 defenseman, because Roy is that kind of moron person, so he probably looks at DeKeyser and goes, "Oh, he's real good defensively. Great defenseman."

Ouellet isn't a big loss.

Losing Tatar, Nyquist, and Mantha...obviously that's hard to justify. But, honestly, we'd be getting the two best players in this deal. (And I say this as a defender of Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha.)

Landeskog.png

Barrie.png

Here is DeKeyser's chart:

De_Keyser.png

Ya so maybe their is a little bit of relation to defensive players inheritlantly having worse corsi numbers but may not be terrible players. This is starting to get ridiculous

So far we've seen sheltered players have amazing corsi numbers with small sample sizes and good defensive players with the hardest assignments having the worst corsi numbers but having a large sample size. Do you think theirs a slight chance these numbers don't really show whose the better player

We just need to see Lidstrom have worse corsi numbers than Smith to really show this board they are not the end all be all of judging talent. I bet if you put the top corsi numbers all together to make a team you wouldn't even have a good team

Ya so maybe their is a little bit of relation to defensive players inheritlantly having worse corsi numbers but may not be terrible players. This is starting to get ridiculous

So far we've seen sheltered players have amazing corsi numbers with small sample sizes and good defensive players with the hardest assignments having the worst corsi numbers but having a large sample size. Do you think theirs a slight chance these numbers don't really show whose the better player

We just need to see Lidstrom have worse corsi numbers than Smith to really show this board they are not the end all be all of judging talent. I bet if you put the top corsi numbers all together to make a team you wouldn't even have a good team

What's to stop Chris Chelios from having better corsi than Lidstrom and proving us all wrong?

These charts aren't ridiculous. Of course they aren't the be-all, end-all, and shouldn't be the only thing used to evaluate players, but they are a very important tool. Just like you shouldn't just use point totals as an indicator of a players worth, or the eye-test, you shouldn't just use these HERO charts or any other single variation of data.

All of these advanced analytics are very new to a lot of people, and if you don't understand them, they can be pretty intimidating at first. I don't think it's a big deal if you don't understand them, but it is a problem if you flat out refuse to understand them. And I know for a fact there are some on here that will do whatever they can to avoid this "nonsense". Unfortunately for them, this nonsense is growing more and more, and soon enough you'll have to adapt with it. To me, it's really no different than when shots on goal started being tracked, or hits, or blocked shots. It's just a new way of tracking stats...

By the way, this isn't meant directly against you, nyquististhefuture, just at anyone that may not like these charts and advanced stats...

Hope it's a passing fad like the glowing puck.

It won't be.

Kids hated algebra in grade school and it followed them into adulthood. Parents hated kids on their computers in the 90s and now use it to do their taxes every year. Millenials sit on their phones and text their friends as their parents told them to get off their phones. Ironically it's those same parents who now use those phones and download apps to make their work easier for them. Doctors using Updodate on their phones in between patients for instance instead of carrying a pocket medical dictionary (because who wants to carry a book?)

Technological and mathematical advances will never go away. They only continue to grow. It's up to us whether we want to use it or not. There are a lot of coaches looking into advance metrics and the Red Wings will follow suit. I'd get used to it.

Not only is it a great idea, but if you don't (use analytics), you're going to fall behind," Babcock told NHL.com. "You have to be on the cutting edge.

http://www.foxsports.com/detroit/story/advanced-metrics-becoming-part-of-hockey-102114

Edited by kickazz

Holy s*** you missed the glow puck era? Consider yourself lucky. It was heinous. Like watching hockey on acid, only not as fun as that sounds :lol:

haha yeah, I did miss it. I started watching hockey in the Stars-Buffalo finals, and became a Wings fan the next season. and well, I'd follow mostly the radio broadcasts.

*Fun fact: We do similar things at work, but for soccer games.

Hahahah Fox Trax? I remember that. As if we were too slow to follow the damn puck on TV.

I don't like it, it took me quite a while to train my eyes to semi-follow the puck around to be distracted by those glows. Cool idea though

Yes, because actually judging them by what you see is for old geezers who think dial up Internet is advanced technology.

That's exactly how Mickey Redmond feels about the +/- stat. Whines about it at least 6 times in a season.

Edited by kickazz

now I understand why so much debate about the corsi stats.

I always had the opinion that puck possession and shots don't really determine or show how a game was, let alone the strengths of a team or player. I remember way too many games where the team that were on the offensive and had more shots were trailing and/or ended up losing the game. I don't know if there are stats for a team that endures or takes a game whilst getting the short end of the stick

LGW is the only place arguing over advanced stats could involve the posting of a glow puck video :lol: I love it (btw I don't love advanced stats, but like anything else a useful tool for arguments over players), I remember I used to love the all star game as a kid because all the star players were shooting pucks with lasers on them into the net... I was 7 or 8 years old in '97 so give me a break for the lasers thing :ninja:

Advanced metrics shouldn't be the "be all end all". It's just an alternative way of looking at things that you can't see with your eye balls. How coaches use it is up to them.

The really good players are those that maintain amazing numbers with tough minutes. This is why Datsyuk and Zetterberg and Lidstrom were amazing in their primes. Their numbers were great even when they played tough minutes thoughout the season.

Edited by kickazz

Hahahah Fox Trax? I remember that. As if we were too slow to follow the damn puck on TV.

I remember though, the biggest complaint from non hockey fans as to why they didn't watch the sport was that they couldn't follow the puck, and remember the biggest TVs back then were like 26",(At least for the average person). They were trying to appeal to a larger audience and I think it was a good idea on paper but was more annoying than helpful in practice.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/ducks-jared-boll-signs-two-year-deal-with-ducks/

Jared Boll to Anaheim. 2-year, $1.8 million. I honestly didn't think Boll was going to get a deal in the NHL.With Carlyle behind the bench again, it's plausible that he may be a regular on Anaheim's fourth line.