• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NerveDamage

Pilgrimage to Detroit - Must Do Things

Rate this topic

I'd second Grand Rapids. Love that city and they have a few pretty awesome breweries (founders, Grand Rapids brewing to name a couple) Griffins games are fun too and, as you've already mentioned, very cheap comparatively. I'd recommend Stella's for food.. they have stuffed burgers and a bunch of classic arcade games.

Detroit-wise, make sure you try slow's BBQ.. amazing food. Atwater brewery has pretty good beer imo. I'm a big fan of Nemo's for burgers as well. You could look into schedules at the Fillmore and Saint Andrews hall for when you're in town if concerts are your sort of thing. 

And as for the troughs.. those are in the concourse level bathrooms. There are upstairs bathrooms these days that are urinals and move a lot faster. 

HockeyTown Café and Cobo Joe's are my two go-to spots for pre-game beers. Great atmosphere and good food. I highly recommend the Hudson Café for the best breakfast you could possibly imagine...

I've never been to a Griffins game, but I will definitely make the trip next time I'm in Michigan.

Many fantastic tips in this thread. I feel i must contribute. 

If you need a coney dog (you do) make sure you go to Lafayette coney island like a real detroiter. If you go to american coney island ur a loser and i hate u and everyone will point and laugh at u for being a tourist.

Hope that helps

On 22/12/2016 at 11:12 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Many fantastic tips in this thread. I feel i must contribute. 

If you need a coney dog (you do) make sure you go to Lafayette coney island like a real detroiter. If you go to american coney island ur a loser and i hate u and everyone will point and laugh at u for being a tourist.

Hope that helps

dude you made me rofl. I'll try to disguise me being a tourist, I wont be wearing socks with sandals either, you know, due to the cold weather.

On another note, I just found out about the Meridian Winter Blast Jan 20th-22nd at Campus Martius. It seems like a lot of fun and the Red Wings will bring a Top Shot Electronic Hockey Net, Bubble Hockey, Alumni Autographs, photo opportunities with classic cutouts and a weekend-long raffle to win stick, autographed photos, pucks and more. so anyone around or visiting Detroit shouldn't miss this event.

http://www.winterblast.com/

There's also TigerFest at Comerica Park on the 21st  which is a must go for any Tigers' Fan

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/det/fan_forum/tigerfest.jsp

Since Hockeymom suggested going to GR I was planning to go, but this event puts in jeopardy that part of the trip, I wouldn't like to miss out on a chance to get an autograph or meeting any of our alumni, on the other hand, Road Trip to Grand Rapids!! this is quite a pickle, decisions, decisions...

Edited by NerveDamage

Here to second (third?) the DIA. Love that place.  All good suggestions in this thread, don't let the Lafayette bullies pressure you :lol:. If all else fails, walk around downtown and see what moves you. Stick to the well-lit streets and you'll be fine--good rule of thumb in Detroit is if the street lights become scarce, so should you. I love the DSO, not sure what shows are coming up in the new year but if that's your thing definitely check out a performance. 

6 hours ago, NerveDamage said:

dude you made me rofl. I'll try to disguise me being a tourist, I wont be wearing socks with sandals either, you know, due to the cold weather.

On another note, I just found out about the Meridian Winter Blast Jan 20th-22nd at Campus Martius. It seems like a lot of fun and the Red Wings will bring a Top Shot Electronic Hockey Net, Bubble Hockey, Alumni Autographs, photo opportunities with classic cutouts and a weekend-long raffle to win stick, autographed photos, pucks and more. so anyone around or visiting Detroit shouldn't miss this event.

http://www.winterblast.com/

There's also TigerFest at Comerica Park on the 21st  which is a must go for any Tigers' Fan

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/det/fan_forum/tigerfest.jsp

Since Hockeymom suggested going to GR I was planning to go, but this event puts in jeopardy that part of the trip, I wouldn't like to miss out on a chance to get an autograph or meeting any of our alumni, on the other hand, Road Trip to Grand Rapids!! this is quite a pickle, decisions, decisions...

Do not listen to the naysayers. I used to work downtown. We spit on the folks that go to American coney island (figuratively).

If you want more of a sit down place thats got real detroit heart n soul, and isnt a fake hokey tourist attraction like hockeytown cafe. Go to polish village cafe in Hamtramck. Its a neighborhood in detroit. Hands down best polish food ive ever had anywhere (not polish and never been to poland). Place is packed 24/7 thou so get there with some time to spare. Detroit staple. 

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Do not listen to the naysayers. I used to work downtown. We spit on the folks that go to American coney island (figuratively).

If you want more of a sit down place thats got real detroit heart n soul, and isnt a fake hokey tourist attraction like hockeytown cafe. Go to polish village cafe in Hamtramck. Its a neighborhood in detroit. Hands down best polish food ive ever had anywhere (not polish and never been to poland). Place is packed 24/7 thou so get there with some time to spare. Detroit staple. 

lol dude, thanks for all the tips, too bad you're not around, i bet i'd be fun as hell to have some brewskis with ya.

I will also be making my first trip to Detroit (from Western Canada )in just over a week to see them play at the Joe!

I am going to see them against the Pens and Habs.

Thanks for all this info guys I cant wait to go.

I will be staying at a hotel only a couple blocks from the arena, what are the best bars/breweries within walking distance?

Cheers

3 minutes ago, robb himself said:

I will also be making my first trip to Detroit (from Western Canada )in just over a week to see them play at the Joe!

I will be staying at a hotel only a couple blocks from the arena, what are the best bars/breweries within walking distance?

Cheers

Well one popular one is Cobo Joe's. Right near by, and there will be a pens/habs jersey on the the ground to wipe your feet on when you come in the door.

My favorite was always The Post though. Standing room only, shoulder-to-shoulder kind of place. Not sure if it's still around, but that's where I'd go.

37 minutes ago, robb himself said:

Cheers

Cool dude, I'll be at those games too, which seats you got?

4 minutes ago, robb himself said:

Ill double check what seats I have when I get home from work and post them on here for sure!

Where you hail from Nerve? 

i'm from Mexico, though I was a Vancouverite for a bit ;) 

whereabouts in BC are you from?

Edited by NerveDamage

3 minutes ago, robb himself said:

Oh ok right on, I am in Kelowna. Not many on here will know where that is but you certainly will

I had a classmate from Kelowna, I stayed mostly in the lower mainland and a few cities in the island. always wanted to go up north but didn't really have the chance

Well one popular one is Cobo Joe's. Right near by, and there will be a pens/habs jersey on the the ground to wipe your feet on when you come in the door.

My favorite was always The Post though. Standing room only, shoulder-to-shoulder kind of place. Not sure if it's still around, but that's where I'd go.

My God, The Post was fantastic pre-Wings game. Phenomenal divey atmosphere, replaying classic DRW games on little 19" tube TVs. Last time I went I think we watched the 3rd period of Stevie Ys blue-liner against Gretzky and the Blues back in the 95-96 WC semis. Unfortunately, The Post is now gone. . It's now called "The Drink Hall" I believe. I've never been. As for those lobbying for a trip to Grand Rapids, I 100% support this move. I've lived in Grandville for the past 7 years and moving to West Michigan from metro-Detroit (Novi) is the best decision I ever made. Van Andel Arena is only a 10 minute drive and Griffins tickets are considerably reasonable

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bringbackfontez said:

My God, The Post was fantastic pre-Wings game. Phenomenal divey atmosphere, replaying classic DRW games on little 19" tube TVs. Last time I went I think we watched the 3rd period of Stevie Ys blue-liner against Gretzky and the Blues back in the 95-96 WC semis. Unfortunately, The Post is now gone. emoji22.png. It's now called "The Drink Hall" I believe. I've never been. As for those lobbying for a trip to Grand Rapids, I 100% support this move. I've lived in Grandville for the past 7 years and moving to West Michigan from metro-Detroit (Novi) is the best decision I ever made. Van Andel Arena is only a 10 minute drive and Griffins tickets are considerably reasonable

Shame the post is gone. I wouldnt know what bars are good down there these days i guess.

I lived in GR for 2 years. Can second the fact that its a great city. Tons of good breweries, bars, and eats. Do they still do dollar beer dollar dog night at the griffs games? I used to spend the whole first period standing in lines shoveling beers and dogs into my face b4 i sat down to watch hockey. Good times.

Shame the post is gone. I wouldnt know what bars are good down there these days i guess.
I lived in GR for 2 years. Can second the fact that its a great city. Tons of good breweries, bars, and eats. Do they still do dollar beer dollar dog night at the griffs games? I used to spend the whole first period standing in lines shoveling beers and dogs into my face b4 i sat down to watch hockey. Good times.

Indeed they do