• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

I think if we finish in the 8-10 range I still want Nicholas Hague.  The top centres are gone anyways.  What is happening with Callen Foote, he seems to be in a bit of a freefall.  A couple of places have him going in the 20s now. 

6 hours ago, HoweFan said:

I think if we finish in the 8-10 range I still want Nicholas Hague.  The top centres are gone anyways.  What is happening with Callen Foote, he seems to be in a bit of a freefall.  A couple of places have him going in the 20s now. 

Mock drafts are always changing. For example I saw 1 today with Nico as the #1 pick ahead of Patrick.

Since we appear to be in a free fall it may not be to far fetched to get a top 4 pick. If that is the case we could get Timothy  Liljegren. That would sure fill the need for an offensive defenseman. I wonder what kind of picks we could obtain for selling Vanek/Green/Whomever not named Mantha or Larkin. Could we do enough to get Hague/Foote whom are both projected in the 20's? Then we would have a Keith-Seabrook pairing for the next decade. 

Since we appear to be in a free fall it may not be to far fetched to get a top 4 pick. If that is the case we could get Timothy  Liljegren. That would sure fill the need for an offensive defenseman. I wonder what kind of picks we could obtain for selling Vanek/Green/Whomever not named Mantha or Larkin. Could we do enough to get Hague/Foote whom are both projected in the 20's? Then we would have a Keith-Seabrook pairing for the next decade. 

Wings should be considered very lucky if they get a second for Vanek. If Green returns a first it would be a very high one but Picks and prospects are needed more than anything.

No way getting into Foote territory.with either one

Looking at the standings, we will be between 3 and 8th would be my best guess. No way we catch The Yotes or Avs for #1. But keep in mind it is a lottery. Finishing 3rd and winning it is not that remote.

If the Avs are ahead of us I fully expect them to take Liljegren. He is the best overall Dman in the draft and they are even worse defensively than we are.

So..... With the 3rd pick in the 2017 Draft, the Detroit Red Wings take:

57 minutes ago, Richdg said:

Looking at the standings, we will be between 3 and 8th would be my best guess. No way we catch The Yotes or Avs for #1. But keep in mind it is a lottery. Finishing 3rd and winning it is not that remote.

If the Avs are ahead of us I fully expect them to take Liljegren. He is the best overall Dman in the draft and they are even worse defensively than we are.

So..... With the 3rd pick in the 2017 Draft, the Detroit Red Wings take:

Alexandre Daigle, Jr.  

21 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

As mentioned before, I try to trade a top 5.

To what end? You better get a kings ransom, because we have been drafting at the back end of the 1st for the whole cap era. I argue that this is the largest contributing factor for why the franchise finds itself where it is right now. Islanders have two games in hand so we probably pick 3rd or 4th if the season where to stay the same. Vegas is going to pick a forward to build the franchise around. Colorado will do the same because that is who they are, and Phoenix drafted dman in the 1st last year. I think Liljegren will be there at 3 or 4.

As I have mentioned before, if we are in the top 5 I want either Patrick (who might drop) or Rasmussen. If we are 6th through 14th I want Foote. hague would be my backup pick if Foote is gone. I prefer Foote over Hague becasue he is the better skater and much better offensively not to mention RHed, something we need. if we get Foote we would have a top 6 like this in 2-3 years:

DD-Foote

Oullett-Sproul

Cholowski-Marchenko

Good R/L balance on each pair, with a strong offensive Dman with a strong defensive Dman. If we then add Samuelsson in the 2018 draft we could be golden for the next decade or so.

I don't think drafting right-handed defensemen is as important as it was a few years ago. We currently have Sproul, Russo, Marchenko, Jensen, Hronek, Saarijarvi and Sambrook in the system that shoot right-handed. Of course not all of them will pan out, but I believe we have at least two (Sproul, Russo, Hronek) that could fill the top 4, and another few that could fill the bottom pair. I'd be more concerned about looking for right-handed forwards. We don't have a single top 6 forward in the system that shoots right-handed. The only few we have are Glendening, Nastasiuk, and Frk, which are all bottom 6 at best...

I agree with LeftWinger in trading our pick for a top pair defenseman if possible. This is supposedly a very weak draft class, so if we can trade a top 5 pick for a Trouba or Hamilton, I'd do it in a heartbeat. There seems to be question marks with just about every single player in this draft, and I'm not really sold on Liljegren or whoever else may be available. If we can get an already (or closer to becoming) stud defenseman, I'm all for that...

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think drafting right-handed defensemen is as important as it was a few years ago. We currently have Sproul, Russo, Marchenko, Jensen, Hronek, Saarijarvi and Sambrook in the system that shoot right-handed. Of course not all of them will pan out, but I believe we have at least two (Sproul, Russo, Hronek) that could fill the top 4, and another few that could fill the bottom pair. I'd be more concerned about looking for right-handed forwards. We don't have a single top 6 forward in the system that shoots right-handed. The only few we have are Glendening, Nastasiuk, and Frk, which are all bottom 6 at best...

I agree with LeftWinger in trading our pick for a top pair defenseman if possible. This is supposedly a very weak draft class, so if we can trade a top 5 pick for a Trouba or Hamilton, I'd do it in a heartbeat. There seems to be question marks with just about every single player in this draft, and I'm not really sold on Liljegren or whoever else may be available. If we can get an already (or closer to becoming) stud defenseman, I'm all for that...

Foote is better than Trouba. So if we are going to trade it needs to be for someone better than Foote. Hamilton is, Jones is, Ekblad is, etc....

Just now, HoweFan said:

Yeah that sounds good too.  I like your choice of Ruzicka in the second if he lasts

Most have him ranked in the 30's. He should be there is we are picking top 10. he would be the future replacement for Z in 2-3 years.

8 minutes ago, Richdg said:

Foote is better than Trouba. So if we are going to trade it needs to be for someone better than Foote. Hamilton is, Jones is, Ekblad is, etc....

Says who? You? Trouba is 100% a better player right now, and who's to say that Foote develops into the player we think he "could" be? I'd take the sure thing over the 18 year old kid any day. And this is coming from a guy that has said in the past that Foote would be my number one target in the draft... I'd take any of the 4 above over Foote, this is not a generational talent that we're talking about here...

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Says who? You? Trouba is 100% a better player right now, and who's to say that Foote develops into the player we think he "could" be? I'd take the sure thing over the 18 year old kid any day. And this is coming from a guy that has said in the past that Foote would be my number one target in the draft... I'd take any of the 4 above over Foote, this is not a generational talent that we're talking about here...

I certainly agree with this. I would dare to write almost all NHL teams agree - very few would trade Trouba for a top 5 pick. Certainly not in this draft.

Those prime defenders are worth more than their weight in gold (right now) and once picked will most likely never leave the organization as long as the org. is profitable. As said situation with Trouba just displayed a few months ago.

Edited by Jacksoni

I like Trouba, but to date he is not that good. Average 2nd pair is the best way to describe him. On our current roster he isn't even the best. He is in his 4th season and has had declining numbers each year. His rookie year was his best with 29 points. Since then his points total and shooting % have declined. Dekeyser has had better years than Trouba. Smith has had numbers very close to him, even though he is a couple of years older.

Foote on the other hand is younger, cheaper, and is already a better offensive player. Trouba is better defensively.

I would do a Fowler for our 1st before I did a Trouba for our 1st, provided Fowler resigns first.

Trouba is 22 years old, has been poorly utilized in Winnipeg, and despite that is currently having a career year. So far he has 13 points in 27 games, his 0.48 points per game is good for 36th in the league for defensemen. He absolutely is / will be a top pair defenseman. The only question is, will he become a true number one?... On our current roster, I'd only put Green ahead of him, and in two years time, whether Green is still here or not, Trouba would likely be the best defenseman on the team. Trouba is better than DeKeyser and it's not even close...

You can't seriously think "Foote is already a better offensive player"?... If Foote played 27 games in Winnipeg this season, he wouldn't have anything close to 13 points, likewise, if Trouba played 42 games down in Kelowna, he'd sure as hell have more than 30 points...

I'd take Ekblad (wouldn't happen even if we had all thirty 2017 1st round picks), Jones or Hamilton over Trouba, but I see Trouba as the most attainable, even though I don't see any as being very likely...

5 hours ago, BringBack19 said:

To what end? You better get a kings ransom, because we have been drafting at the back end of the 1st for the whole cap era. I argue that this is the largest contributing factor for why the franchise finds itself where it is right now. Islanders have two games in hand so we probably pick 3rd or 4th if the season where to stay the same. Vegas is going to pick a forward to build the franchise around. Colorado will do the same because that is who they are, and Phoenix drafted dman in the 1st last year. I think Liljegren will be there at 3 or 4.

I offer any pick 1-5 to Calgary or Winnipeg for Hamilton plus their 1st or Trouba plus their 1st. Then I hope to land Foote/Hague. If some team around 25ish would be willing to overpay for Vanek or Green, we might be able to land both. Of we sell Green and Smith (hoping for E too) and replace them with one of Hamilton/Trouba along with Foote and Hague. This is a perfect scenario obviously, but if all we did was acquired Hamilton and Foote it'd be, IMO, better than drafting Patrick or Liljegren.

25 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Trouba is 22 years old, has been poorly utilized in Winnipeg, and despite that is currently having a career year. So far he has 13 points in 27 games, his 0.48 points per game is good for 36th in the league for defensemen. He absolutely is / will be a top pair defenseman. The only question is, will he become a true number one?... On our current roster, I'd only put Green ahead of him, and in two years time, whether Green is still here or not, Trouba would likely be the best defenseman on the team. Trouba is better than DeKeyser and it's not even close...

You can't seriously think "Foote is already a better offensive player"?... If Foote played 27 games in Winnipeg this season, he wouldn't have anything close to 13 points, likewise, if Trouba played 42 games down in Kelowna, he'd sure as hell have more than 30 points...

I'd take Ekblad (wouldn't happen even if we had all thirty 2017 1st round picks), Jones or Hamilton over Trouba, but I see Trouba as the most attainable, even though I don't see any as being very likely...

There actually (still) is unsubstantiated rumors floating around about Trouba landing in Detroit still. Something about this signing being a placeholder until next season. Just ramblings, however one can hope. Talk about changing the outlook of a team if that came true.

If we got a top 5 pick, again, I'd offer it up for Trouba and their 1st. Same as with Calgary. 

If the rumors of Trouba have any weight, then our 1st will have to be in play. A top 5 pick,  IMO, would get that deal done. Same as with Calgary, they may want a top 5 more than Winnipeg. 

Edited by LeftWinger

21 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

If we got a top 5 pick, again, I'd offer it up for Trouba and their 1st. Same as with Calgary. 

If the rumors of Trouba have any weight, then our 1st will have to be in play. A top 5 pick,  IMO, would get that deal done. Same as with Calgary, they may want a top 5 more than Winnipeg. 

So the first top 5 pick in what seems to be an eternity and people are willing to trade him. What makes some guys think Trouba would sign an extension here? Love the kid, great player and underappreciated in Winnipeg but his contract is over after next season and then he will be an UFA.

This first round pick is the option for a cost controlled player who has the potential to either become the much needed number 1 center (Patrick), or a defensive stud (Foote, Liljegren..)

51 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

So the first top 5 pick in what seems to be an eternity and people are willing to trade him. What makes some guys think Trouba would sign an extension here? Love the kid, great player and underappreciated in Winnipeg but his contract is over after next season and then he will be an UFA.

This first round pick is the option for a cost controlled player who has the potential to either become the much needed number 1 center (Patrick), or a defensive stud (Foote, Liljegren..)

He's still a RFA after his contract is up.