• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2017 NHLTrade Deadline Discussion

Rate this topic

Simple, do the Wings Buy to try to make the playoffs or SELL to get draft picks and rebuild.  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Great work this year Ken! Vanek and Otter were phenomenal pick ups, sucks that dumb bloke Blashill screwed it up.

Ditched our UFAs as we demanded. Huge return on loser Smith, and even HUGER return for Vanek (new Dylan is massive).

We are brimming with draft picks and I cannot wait to see New Dylan punch some heads off. As a rebuilding team I think its smart to sacrafice skill for nastiness. Hes not going to take ice time from any of our kids who need it, while also being able to utterly destroy anyone who opens there mouth around our young stars. Perfect. Should give our kids a nice confidence boost and safety net. 

All hail Ken Holland, supreme tire kicker, and bringer of Dylans

Who sits for the new Dylan? Kronwall? Doubt it, so ya, he will take away from one of the kids. Kronwall won't sit for more than a game here and there because Ken Holland.

All hail the 3rd worst team in the league with the highest payroll in the nhl! All hail the GM who refused to clear cap space off next year's roster, because what if Nyquist 2014 returns? Next season well be worse with an even higher payroll. All hail Ken Holland! He got us some low picks to chose another or two 5'11" d-men that weigh 156lbs.

Dude, when I need to tell you to relax about Crazy Uncle Kenny you know you've gone off the deep end. The deadline isn't when teams clear space for next year generally, that happens in the offseason. And it's not unreasonable to expect Nyquist and Tatar to rebound assuming Trashill is taken to the curb.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Who sits for the new Dylan? Kronwall? Doubt it, so ya, he will take away from one of the kids. Kronwall won't sit for more than a game here and there because Ken Holland.

All hail the 3rd worst team in the league with the highest payroll in the nhl! All hail the GM who refused to clear cap space off next year's roster, because what if Nyquist 2014 returns? Next season well be worse with an even higher payroll. All hail Ken Holland! He got us some low picks to chose another or two 5'11" d-men that weigh 156lbs.

Yeah man relax. New Dylan is cool.

This team isnt a superior, refined, precision made, european porsche anymore. That car - while great - broke down after 25 years of heavy mileage. And the economy hasnt been too good, so we had to trade it in for a beater (pun intended). Now we're driving a 92 Silverado named Dylan. Yeah it's rough, yeah it's blue collar, yeah it's not winning any races. But all your bros can ride in the bed and it will get you to the beer store. And maybe we'll run over a porsche on the way there!

58 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

You're starting to freak us out. Calmmm downnnn 

It's not that bad. We hit a good start for some changes. It's not going to come easy. It going to take a couple of years at least. On the other hand there's no reason to give up on Nyquist or Tatar yet "just to dump contracts". If we got a high pick this year and somehow if got Nolan Patrick or Vilardi, either could very well be our 1Cs come October of 2017 and center Nyquist/Tatar and end up being a really good elite line. Just look at what Mathews is doing for Toronto. That amount of improvement could be us in October. And with the amount of picks we have now, simply increases out chances of landing another hidden gem that could be developed in a couple of years and we're back on top. Doesn't have to be an 8 year rebuild, could very well be 3-4 years. It's all in the probability and these later picks have increased our probability tremendously. 

One thing at a time is what their approach looks like, let's see how things are this summer. 

Edited by kickazz

37 minutes ago, kickazz said:

You're starting to freak us out. Calmmm downnnn 

It's not that bad. We hit a good start for some changes. It's not going to come easy. It going to take a couple of years at least. On the other hand there's no reason to give up on Nyquist or Tatar yet "just to dump contracts". If we got a high pick this year and somehow if got Nolan Patrick or Vilardi, either could very well be our 1Cs come October of 2017 and center Nyquist/Tatar and end up being a really good elite line. Just look at what Mathews is doing for Toronto. That amount of improvement could be us in October. And with the amount of picks we have now, simply increases out chances of landing another hidden gem that could be developed in a couple of years and we're back on top. Doesn't have to be an 8 year rebuild, could very well be 3-4 years. It's all in the probability and these later picks have increased our probability tremendously. 

One thing at a time is what their approach looks like, let's see how things are this summer. 

First Holland signs Franzen to a long term average cap hit deal, and now he gets less return than I want for Vanek?

Nice try Kickazz

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

4 hours ago, scotzman said:

I'd like to point out again that not once have I suggested that the Trade Deadline was the quick fix or the magic bullet.

To be clear, I was responding to Majsheppard.

4 hours ago, scotzman said:

My assertion will continue to be that this is another piece of the problem that is Ken Holland. His moves, whether they are contracts, trades or coaching decisions have been bad for a while now.

If people can't see that, I'm not sure they ever will.

I'm a card-carrying member of the Holland Has to Go Club. I'm counting down the days until his contract expires and praying his successor isn't Ryan Martin or Kris Draper or any other member of this front office. But I agree with Dickie: Holland's been crap, he did well at this deadline, these aren't mutually exclusive statements.

2 hours ago, kickazz said:

It's not that bad. We hit a good start for some changes. It's not going to come easy. It going to take a couple of years at least. On the other hand there's no reason to give up on Nyquist or Tatar yet "just to dump contracts". If we got a high pick this year and somehow if got Nolan Patrick or Vilardi, either could very well be our 1Cs come October of 2017 and center Nyquist/Tatar and end up being a really good elite line. Just look at what Mathews is doing for Toronto. That amount of improvement could be us in October.

I don't want to fan the flames of discontent or bum anyone out, but...Auston Matthews is a generational talent, and he's surrounded by very good players in Mitch Marner, Morgan Rielly, Nazem Kadri, William Nylander, and James van Riemsdyk, all of whom were top-ten picks. And they're all coached by Mike Babcock.

I think it's fair to say we have a fairly long and painful road ahead of us. Even if Holland had knocked this deadline out of the park, and even if we somehow land one of the top two players in this year's draft, I'd probably say the same thing. It'll take much more than a Nolan Patrick to truly get us back on the right path, IMO.

I do think we "could" be a lot closer than some people think, if the right moves are made, but I do agree, Nolan Patrick would not be able to carry this team in his rookie season the way Matthews or McDavid have their respective teams. When people keep saying, "this is a weak draft", they're talking about the talent at the top. There's some very good young players at the top, but no true studs. I'm sure the 2nd round and onward are much the same as past draft classes, with some decent players, some busts as well as some steals. In saying that, I do hope we can somehow draft one of Patrick or Vilardi, because either would help this team immensely. I'm also still holding out hope that we can make some moves this summer, to offload some big contracts, add a couple more picks, possibly move up in the draft, and maybe even add a top pair defenseman...

A lot can still happen between now and October...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I do think we "could" be a lot closer than some people think, if the right moves are made, but I do agree, Nolan Patrick would not be able to carry this team in his rookie season the way Matthews or McDavid have their respective teams. When people keep saying, "this is a weak draft", they're talking about the talent at the top. There's some very good young players at the top, but no true studs. I'm sure the 2nd round and onward are much the same as past draft classes, with some decent players, some busts as well as some steals. In saying that, I do hope we can somehow draft one of Patrick or Vilardi, because either would help this team immensely. I'm also still holding out hope that we can make some moves this summer, to offload some big contracts, add a couple more picks, possibly move up in the draft, and maybe even add a top pair defenseman...

A lot can still happen between now and October...

I think I might've ask this before, but who does Nolan Patrick remind you of who's currently in the NHL?

15 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I think I might've ask this before, but who does Nolan Patrick remind you of who's currently in the NHL?

I've only seen highlights of Patrick, and read some articles, but the one name that I've heard him compared to the most is Toews. I'm not sure how accurate that is, or if he will ever reach that sort of potential, but he's definitely not a generational talent like a McDavid or Matthews. I've said this before and part of me is more intrigued with Vilardi over Patrick. I'm kind of hoping we get the 3rd overall pick and take Vilardi to be honest. He's basically a full year younger, same size, both are right shooting centers, putting up similar points and doesn't have the injury history...

13 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I've only seen highlights of Patrick, and read some articles, but the one name that I've heard him compared to the most is Toews. I'm not sure how accurate that is, or if he will ever reach that sort of potential, but he's definitely not a generational talent like a McDavid or Matthews. I've said this before and part of me is more intrigued with Vilardi over Patrick. I'm kind of hoping we get the 3rd overall pick and take Vilardi to be honest. He's basically a full year younger, same size, both are right shooting centers, putting up similar points and doesn't have the injury history...

McDavid is in a seperate league from Mathews imo.

McDavid is probably the best pick in the last 20 years. He's supposedly already claimed to better than Crosby with a higher ceiling.

Mathews/Eichel/Laine are probably in their own league of skills

Edited by kickazz

2 minutes ago, kickazz said:

McDavid is in a seperate league from Mathews imo.

McDavid is probably the best pick in the last 20 years. He's supposedly already claimed to better than Crosby with a higher ceiling.

Mathews/Eichel/Laine are probably in their own league of skills

I agree with that for sure. I didn't mean for that to sound like McDavid and Matthews are at all in the same league, just that both (the past two first overall picks) are much better than what Patrick is projected to be. I would put Patrick in the tier below Matthews / Eichel as of right now, but who knows, he may exceed expectations...

Vilardi is definitely intriguing.. and probably more realistic than patrick as far as the wings pick goes. 

Two of the players in the top ten (also on the more realistic side for where we'll likely draft) that I'm more interested in lately are Mittelstadt and Makar. 

Mittelstadt is a center with great speed and hands. Imagine he'd fit right in with AA and Larkin someday. 

Makar is a little on the small side (around 5'11"/180lbs) but is a high point producing two way defenseman with great skating ability. 

Both aren't in college yet so they could even be a little underrated going into the draft (also perhaps a bit risky) but both sound like they might have the most upside in the draft too. 

6 minutes ago, amato said:

Vilardi is definitely intriguing.. and probably more realistic than patrick as far as the wings pick goes. 

Two of the players in the top ten (also on the more realistic side for where we'll likely draft) that I'm more interested in lately are Mittelstadt and Makar. 

Mittelstadt is a center with great speed and hands. Imagine he'd fit right in with AA and Larkin someday. 

Makar is a little on the small side (around 5'11"/180lbs) but is a high point producing two way defenseman with great skating ability. 

Both aren't in college yet so they could even be a little underrated going into the draft (also perhaps a bit risky) but both sound like they might have the most upside in the draft too. 

I'd be okay with Mittelstadt if we end up around 7, I don't want us to take Makar though unless it's a 15+ pick... Not a fan of any of the defense in the top half of the draft.

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd be okay with Mittelstadt if we end up around 7, I don't want us to take Makar though unless it's a 15+ pick... Not a fan of any of the defense in the top half of the draft.

I'd be stoked with Mittelstadt at 7 for sure.

I think Makar will make his way into the top ten though.. would take him if we picked around the 8-12 range and liljegren, Tippett, and all the top center prospects were already off the board. 

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Well the trade deadline is over....

Was making reference to when I was admonished for talking about Holland instead of trades... tough room.

10 minutes ago, scotzman said:

Was making reference to when I was admonished for talking about Holland instead of trades... tough room.

Looks like you tried to turn this thread into a discussion of Holland's career while the trade deadline was still active.

Sorry, but I'm not with you on this one. Tough break kid.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

7 minutes ago, scotzman said:

Look, the reason why this gets on people's nerves is because the point of this board is to have simultaneous conversations about all things Red Wing related. What unfortunately happens, is the majority of the threads get turned into "Ken Holland" threads and detract from other conversation. 

Don't take in personally, I welcome all posters as it just adds to the discussion. It was no different from the summer time when EVERY thread turned into a Helm thread, or 2/3 years ago a Cleary thread. There are certain posters that just repeat the same narrative in every thread they post in.

1 minute ago, kliq said:

Look, the reason why this gets on people's nerves is because the point of this board is to have simultaneous conversations about all things Red Wing related. What unfortunately happens, is the majority of the threads get turned into "Ken Holland" threads and detract from other conversation. 

Don't take in personally, I welcome all posters as it just adds to the discussion. It was no different from the summer time when EVERY thread turned into a Helm thread, or 2/3 years ago a Cleary thread. There are certain posters that just repeat the same narrative in every thread they post in.

I hate Franzen