• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Griffins Calder Cup Playoffs Thread

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Mrazek has also played like a Vezina candidate. I'm not writing him off yet. We also have Paterson, Perry, Van Pottelberghe, Larsson and Machovsky. I'm not saying we're loaded with goaltender prospects, but it's far from our weakest position. I would still say it's our strongest, outside of left wing.

And Howard played like a Vezina candidate when healthy this season. Doesnt mean he'll ever win one. None of our goalie prospects have done much of note so far. Ill remain hopefull, but goaltending looks bleak on this team. I dont see us winning anything with this tandem.

50 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

No, 5 goals on 12 shots... Griffins had the 18 at that point... Coreau has been awful in too many games in these playoffs. I'd like to see them go with Pasquale on Tuesday, but I'm sure they'll go right back with Coreau...

5 on 12. Lol

Coreau will be in. It takes a Mike Babcock to switch goalies in the playoffs in order to win a championship. And...Sullivan I guess. FFS!

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And Howard played like a Vezina candidate when healthy this season. Doesnt mean he'll ever win one. None of our goalie prospects have done much of note so far. Ill remain hopefull, but goaltending looks bleak on this team. I dont see us winning anything with this tandem.

I didn't say Mrazek will ever win a Vezina, nor do we need him to (although I think he can). Lundqvist and Price may never win a Stanley Cup. You don't need elite goaltending to win it all. Teams seem to be moving away from "building from the net out". The way players defend and block shots, you don't need a Brodeur or Hasek back there anymore.

"This tandem" is going to last at most two more seasons (likely sooner), so yes I agree, we will never win a Cup with this tandem. 

Mrazek has all the talent to be elite. He's lost that confidence he had when he first got called up and stole the starters job, and he had when he helped take Tampa to 7 with two shutouts along the way.. If he can get his head on straight, he can be THE goalie for a long time. Blashill hasn't done him any favours either, but neither has he for himself, doing s*** like going to the showers when he was supposed to be in the backup net during practice. Time to stop being entitled and earn it.

22 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I didn't say Mrazek will ever win a Vezina, nor do we need him to (although I think he can). Lundqvist and Price may never win a Stanley Cup. You don't need elite goaltending to win it all. Teams seem to be moving away from "building from the net out". The way players defend and block shots, you don't need a Brodeur or Hasek back there anymore.

"This tandem" is going to last at most two more seasons (likely sooner), so yes I agree, we will never win a Cup with this tandem. 

I agree with your points, but you basically just admitted goaltending is not our strong suit. The differnce with MTL and NYR is goaltending literally is their strong suit. Unfotunately, as you said, Price and Lundqvist cant carry them to the cup.

3 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Mrazek has all the talent to be elite. He's lost that confidence he had when he first got called up and stole the starters job, and he had when he helped take Tampa to 7 with two shutouts along the way.. If he can get his head on straight, he can be THE goalie for a long time. Blashill hasn't done him any favours either, but neither has he for himself, doing s*** like going to the showers when he was supposed to be in the backup net during practice. Time to stop being entitled and earn it.

I very much want Petr to be the next Dom. But his play, as well as attitude, this season cast serious doubts. Im not going to declare our #1 netminding position solved until he turns it around. Hes a big IF right now.

Lundqvist's window with NYR is pretty much closed . He's done all he can to take them to that elusive Cup, and they couldn't get to that next level to give him some goals to work with. He's smashed a few sticks in frustration that's for sure. Should ask for a trade to a true contender soon.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

No, 5 goals on 12 shots... Griffins had the 18 at that point... Coreau has been awful in too many games in these playoffs. I'd like to see them go with Pasquale on Tuesday, but I'm sure they'll go right back with Coreau...

I haven't seen any of the games, but I have been reading about everything and it really sounds like he is being exposed these playoffs. Based on what you have watched of him at the AHL level, do you think he has what it takes to be a good NHL backup on a playoff team? Or is he a career AHL guy?

He's not hurt is he?

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I agree with your points, but you basically just admitted goaltending is not our strong suit. The differnce with MTL and NYR is goaltending literally is their strong suit. Unfotunately, as you said, Price and Lundqvist cant carry them to the cup.

I very much want Petr to be the next Dom. But his play, as well as attitude, this season cast serious doubts. Im not going to declare our #1 netminding position solved until he turns it around. Hes a big IF right now.

No, what I'm saying is we don't have an elite goaltender as of right now, and although I still believe Mrazek has the potential to become elite, I don't think he needs to be for us to have success. We don't have an elite center, winger or defenseman either, and I'd say it's more likely that Mrazek reaches elite status at his position than any other player we have at their respective position. I think with a better team around him, Mrazek could win this team a Cup even if he doesn't reach his ceiling. It's the team around him that needs the most work in my opinion. Aside from Mrazek, we have 5-6 other goaltenders in the pipeline with varying levels of potential. Considering a team only needs 2 goaltenders and 4-5 players at every other position, I do think goaltending is an area of strength.

My original point was that we shouldn't be taking a goaltender early in this draft, and I stand by that. The only position that I feel we're stronger at right now and in the future is left wing. Literally every other position there are huge question marks. The first three rounds I would take as many centers, right wingers (right-handed) and defensemen as possible. Those are our three biggest positions of weakness in my opinion, goaltending is a distant 4th...

4 hours ago, kliq said:

I haven't seen any of the games, but I have been reading about everything and it really sounds like he is being exposed these playoffs. Based on what you have watched of him at the AHL level, do you think he has what it takes to be a good NHL backup on a playoff team? Or is he a career AHL guy?

He's not hurt is he?

Yeah, he's been bad. I'm not sure about an injury but I haven't noticed anything out of the norm with him. For a guy that's 6'6", 220 lbs. he doesn't cover near enough of the net. He has a tendency of going down too early and gets beat up high far too often. His lateral movement is subpar as well. I still think he could become an NHL backup, but he's going to have to do some major work on his game, and at this point, I think that may be his ceiling. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him passed by Paterson and / or one of the many others in the system in the next couple years. I don't know a ton about any of the other guys, but I've heard some good things on both Perry and Van Pottelberghe.

It'll be ok, it took Hasek 4-5 years to become The Dominator. Petr is right on track. Soon as we ditch Howard and this becomes Petr's team he will be the next Dom.
With the right subtractions and correct additions by Holland, Petr will lead us into the deep playoff run next season!

Said the same before as well. When your rebuilding and trying to groom your next long term starting goaltender, you have to show him that you have the confidence in him to take that last step. Keeping Howard around, regardless of his numbers last season, in which he played 26 games, not even enough to make the cut off amount to be included among the top goalie rankings at the end of the season, doesn't show that. And the way Blashill has used Mrazek, even trying to throw Coreau in his way, not starting him in the Winter Classic when he's the supposed half of the shared number 1 spot, give your head a shake. How many other franchises have given their marked future long term starter full reign before they reached their full potential? Montreal with Price is a huge example. Remember the Halak trade uproar? Where's Halak now? Give Mrazek the net without a short leash and competition distractions from the other goalies, and he'll settle in and get that confidence and swagger again. Tell him it's all his, and watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/12/2017 at 6:25 AM, LeftWinger said:

It'll be ok, it took Hasek 4-5 years to become The Dominator. Petr is right on track. Soon as we ditch Howard and this becomes Petr's team he will be the next Dom.

With the right subtractions and correct additions by Holland, Petr will lead us into the deep playoff run next season!

Prime Hasek from age 23 to to 29 never posted a save percentage less than 0.92% in a season, and averaged a 0.93 save percentage over that time, as well as an average GAA of 2.19.

Mrazek from 23 on already has his lowest save percentage in a season at 0.901%, and has averaged 0.91% over his career, as well as an average GAA of 2.58.

Compare players to Dom and you're gonna have a bad time. The man is probably the best goalie to ever play in the NHL. Mrazek is more likely the the next Howard, than the next Dom.

4 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Nah, he's better than Howard. Point being, he'll become that dominant goalie we need. Maybe as soon as next season if Holland dumps some crap off the D and somehow upgrades it.

The same D played in front of Howard and he posted a 0.927% and a 2.10 GAA

Keep dreaming. Goalies comparable to Hasek: Broduer, Roy, Plante, Dryden, Sawchuck, Tretiak, etc.. There's nothing to indicate Mrazek will ever be a HOFer at this point. 

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Prime Hasek from age 23 to to 29 never posted a save percentage less than 0.92% in a season, and averaged a 0.93 save percentage over that time, as well as an average GAA of 2.19.

Mrazek from 23 on already has his lowest save percentage in a season at 0.901%, and has averaged 0.91% over his career, as well as an average GAA of 2.58.

Compare players to Dom and you're gonna have a bad time. The man is probably the best goalie to ever play in the NHL. Mrazek is more likely the the next Howard, than the next Dom.

Not that I would compare Mrazek to Hasek, but your facts are wrong.

At Mrazek's age, Hasek had still not played his first NHL game. It would still be another 3 years before he became a perennial Vezina candidate. 

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The same D played in front of Howard and he posted a 0.927% and a 2.10 GAA

Keep dreaming. Goalies comparable to Hasek: Broduer, Roy, Plante, Dryden, Sawchuck, Tretiak, etc.. There's nothing to indicate Mrazek will ever be a HOFer at this point. 

Same offense played in front of both also. They just played much worse.