• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, amato said:

and 3 goalies.... :g: I don't know that website but I don't trust it for that alone. 

3 goalies? I think you're looking at that wrong... The only goalie they have us taking is Justus Annunen in the 3rd round (81st overall).

37 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

3 goalies? I think you're looking at that wrong... The only goalie they have us taking is Justus Annunen in the 3rd round (81st overall).

It's been updated recently. Yesterday it was indeed 3 goalies. But yesterday they didn't even have the correct order for the 2nd-7th rounds. I don't think it's even a real mock draft. Just a ranking of players, with picks based on that regardless of any consideration of the team.

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2018/v19/

44 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Hahaha I guess i should get my eyes checked.. or turn up my monitor brightness. That or we’re converting those two centers to goalies. My baaad :P 

Just now, Buppy said:

It's been updated recently. Yesterday it was indeed 3 goalies. But yesterday they didn't even have the correct order for the 2nd-7th rounds. I don't think it's even a real mock draft. Just a ranking of players, with picks based on that regardless of any consideration of the team.

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2018/v19/

Or this? Could’ve sworn I read 3 Gs.. Either way, I don’t trust it. 

The site must randomize players every hour... No rhyme or reason...

You need to take any mock draft with a grain of salt (even the great McKenzie and Button), but maybe a pound of salt would be more appropriate for this one...

Do not like that mock draft, with the exception of Bouchard. The rest seems a little too random.

Here is my top four based on the latest ISS rankings:

#6 - Bouchard

#28(ish) - Dominik Bokk

#33 - Mat Samuelsson

#36 - Calen Addison

That would be an awesome 4 picks for us. I'd like to have Ryan McLeod, but he will probably be gone by #28-#31, and we do need RH'd scorers and Bokk fits that bill. 

Can you imagine our D in 3-4 years with Bouchard and Samuelsson?

55 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Do not like that mock draft, with the exception of Bouchard. The rest seems a little too random.

Here is my top four based on the latest ISS rankings:

#6 - Bouchard

#28(ish) - Dominik Bokk

#33 - Mat Samuelsson

#36 - Calen Addison

That would be an awesome 4 picks for us. I'd like to have Ryan McLeod, but he will probably be gone by #28-#31, and we do need RH'd scorers and Bokk fits that bill. 

Can you imagine our D in 3-4 years with Bouchard and Samuelsson?

I'd prefer to go with a center with pick 33 or 36 (Ty Dellandrea?), but other than that I pretty much agree. If we can get Bouchard and Bokk with those first two picks, I'll be thrilled. 

Will be interesting to see whether Quinn Hughes' play at the World Championships under Jeff Blashill will have any affect on the Wings' draft strategy.  He's currently got 2 assists in 3 games against NHL caliber competition. 

10 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Who are you kidding? It will be...

Helm - Nielsen - Abdelkader

Rasmussen - Glendening - Svechnikov

:ok:

I should have emphasized "may".

17 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Guys Nielsen isn't going anywhere. Full NMC, and yet I see him mentioned in every trade proposal. With the addition of Svech and Rass to the lineup, he *MAY* actually have the wingers next year to center a scoring line. I think he'll have a better season be cause of it.

fixed

7 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

If Tkachuk falls to 6... do the Wings take him?

I feel like it's also tempting if Wahlstrom is available.. but obviously we need a top D prospect.

If Tkachuk is available at 6, I only take him if all the 1A Dman prospects are gone. Of course if that's true, then either Zadina or Svech are available. So no, I don't see any scenario where he gets picked by Holland.

9 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

But ya, Jonas, I don't think that package would get a 10th OA pick. We'd have to send someone of value and with potential.  DD has lost value over the years, Jensen, for as much as I like him, is a bottom 6, depth pairing guy. I love AA, but if we were guaranteed getting #7-#9ish, and we could draft Wahlstrom, I'd trade AA.  But it would cost much more than that, plus if the draft shakes out like most insiders are predicting, I think Wahlstrom goes #7 anyhow, so we'd really have to up to offer to get it. Maybe, MAYBE we'd still be able to get him at #8 if we could make a deal with Chicago, because IMO, if Vancouver doesn't select him, Chicago will grab him for sure, they need scoring wingers. Here is my proposal to Vancouver or Chicago:

1st bold: Agree.

2nd bold: Disagree here. They will go Dobson if he's still there, or Ty Smith if he isn't. They'll be looking to replace Duncan Keith on the blueline.

Going sixth to Red Wings would be fine by Evan Bouchard [Kulfan, Detroit News]

Craig Button, TSN’s chief draft analyst, feels Bouchard would be a good fit with the Red Wings.

In fact, Button compares Bouchard to a popular former Wings’ defenseman in terms of their styles.

“Larry Murphy,” Button said, when asked a player who reminds him of Bouchard. “Doesn’t play with a whole lot of fanfare, he won’t be in the highlights every night, but he’ll be on the ice at all the important moments and contribute in significant ways in all areas of the game.

“Evan’s an excellent passer in every area of the game, he always has his eyes up, and in the offensive zone he has the ability to generate offense and produce points and goals inside the blue line.

“There’s a really good chance he could be there at six (for the Wings). He’s a calm, excellent player.”

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

Going sixth to Red Wings would be fine by Evan Bouchard [Kulfan, Detroit News]

Craig Button, TSN’s chief draft analyst, feels Bouchard would be a good fit with the Red Wings.

In fact, Button compares Bouchard to a popular former Wings’ defenseman in terms of their styles.

“Larry Murphy,” Button said, when asked a player who reminds him of Bouchard. “Doesn’t play with a whole lot of fanfare, he won’t be in the highlights every night, but he’ll be on the ice at all the important moments and contribute in significant ways in all areas of the game.

“Evan’s an excellent passer in every area of the game, he always has his eyes up, and in the offensive zone he has the ability to generate offense and produce points and goals inside the blue line.

“There’s a really good chance he could be there at six (for the Wings). He’s a calm, excellent player.”

With all the "experts" saying that The Wings should pick Bouchard, dare I say, a slam dunk, no brainer pick? We'll see Holland go away from them and pick someone else. I am already ready for the let down...honestly, with about 90% of them projecting that Bouchard will be our pick, I am to the point that (even though they would be good players) if Holland drafts Hughes, Dobson or Boqvist, I will be let down.  Not a huge deal, because look at how Ras has developed thus far, but I will feel an initial let down for sure.

Edited by LeftWinger

35 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

With all the "experts" saying that The Wings should pick Bouchard, dare I say, a slam dunk, no brainer pick? We'll see Holland go away from them and pick someone else. I am already ready for the let down...honestly, with about 90% of them projecting that Bouchard will be our pick, I am to the point that (even though they would be good players) if Holland drafts Hughes, Dobson or Boqvist, I will be let down.  Not a huge deal, because look at how Ras has developed thus far, but I will feel an initial let down for sure.

I think Bouchard would be the best fit for Detroit, and the reason I believe so many "experts" see it that way is because Holland has said several times that you can't keep drafting small defensemen. For that reason, I'd be surprised if he went with Boqvist or Hughes, and I just think Dobson is in a tier below Bouchard. I'm with you though, I really hope we go with Bouchard. He's definitely the most NHL ready. He might not have quite the offensive ceiling as the two smaller guys, but his floor is higher in my opinion. He also has a more well rounded game, which is what you want in a top pair defender. I think he's a definite future top pair. The question is will he be a number one or number two...

12 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I think he's a definite future top pair. The question is will he be a number one or number two...

I wouldn't go that far. But certainly he'd be far and away the best D prospect we've had in ages.

Edited by Dabura

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, LeftWinger said:

#6 - Bouchard

#28(ish) - Dominik Bokk

#33 - Mat Samuelsson

#36 - Calen Addison

I'm sticking with these as my hopefuls for the 1st two rounds.  Although Mat Samuelsson may be gone before #33.

But DAMN! If we could somehow get another pick in order to take Wahlstrom!

Would Vancouver take Nyquist, AA, VEG's #1, Both our #2's for #7?

If we came out of the 1st round with BOTH Bouchard and Wahlstrom, it's be a great draft!

Then we'd just need Liam Kirk in the 6th and we're in! Rebuild On FIRE!

7 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Can't remember where I read it (damn that extra glass of scotch/bourbon), but Bouchard was likened to none other than our very own hotdog luvin Larry Murphy...As in he makes the game look simple, and does all the little things right.

If that's the case...Then sign me up!

Make Dogs A Dollar Again

hotdogs.jpg

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Can't remember where I read it (damn that extra glass of scotch/bourbon), but Bouchard was likened to none other than our very own hotdog luvin Larry Murphy...As in he makes the game look simple, and does all the little things right.

Craig Button is the one that has compared him to Murph. I've also heard several draft analysts compare him to Carlson.

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I would. Kid is going to be a f***ing stud. :nhl: 

Don't jinx us dude.

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Craig Button is the one that has compared him to Murph. I've also heard several draft analysts compare him to Carlson.

7 hours ago, F.Michael said:

SO then we should be able to get Bouchard for future considerations, right?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

I think I'm all in on Wahlstrom.  I wasn't sold earlier in the year, but given that a number of really high end defensemen may be hitting FA soon, I'd rather look to add one of them in free agency and draft a high end scorer.  Wahlstrom could be the Kane to Larkin's Toews, keep Mantha and Ras on a "big boy" line, and let Cholo, Hronek, Sambrook, Sulak, and whoever else fill the spots you don't fill in free agency.

I'm not really comfortable with Bouchard.  We drafted a guy who was probably less skilled than his peers last year, and while early returns are more positive than I expected, I'm not sure I like the idea of doing it again.  It's entirely possible that Rasmussen's size and strength are an X factor that can overcome his relative lack of skill (as compared to his draft peers).  Without traits like those, I don't see how Bouchard overcomes that lack of skill at the highest levels. 

With a pick this high I think we need to draft as close to "elite" as we can, regardless of position.  I think Wahlstrom has that upside, I don't think Bouchard does.  Personally I'd rather have an elite winger than a pretty good defenseman with this pick. 

Edited by kipwinger

19 hours ago, F.Michael said:

It was a different game back then.  You could be slow, and relatively unskilled, (as Murphy was) and still be really good because of two line passing, weaker defensive schemes, small goalies, etc..   Not anymore.  I love Murphy the broadcaster.  I love that Murphy taught Lidstrom all about positional, efficient, defensive play.  And I really love dollar hot dog night.  But I wouldn't draft the actual Larry Murphy in this day and age, let alone someone who plays like him but isn't him. 

30 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'm not really comfortable with Bouchard.  We drafted a guy who was probably less skilled than his peers last year, and while early returns are more positive than I expected, I'm not sure I like the idea of doing it again.  It's entirely possible that Rasmussen's size and strength are an X factor that can overcome his relative lack of skill (as compared to his draft peers).  Without traits like those, I don't see how Bouchard overcomes that lack of skill at the highest levels.

What is this "lack of skill" you speak of?

4 minutes ago, Dabura said:

What is this "lack of skill" you speak of?

Relative lack of skill as compared to his peers.  He doesn't have standout skating, creativity, or handles.  He's got a pretty good shot, but we see how far that got Ryan Sproul.  Not saying the kid sucks or anything, just that his skill seems to be his shot and his head, and I'd rather he have speed and creativity.

Edited by kipwinger

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Relative lack of skill as compared to his peers.  He doesn't have standout skating or handles.  He's got a pretty good shot, but we see how far that got Ryan Sproul.  Not saying the kid sucks or anything, just that his skill seems to be his shot and his head, and I'd rather he have speed and creativity.

Skill comes in many forms. Lidstrom wasn't flashy like Doughty is, but he controlled the ice. Keith was never flashy like Subban is, but (in his prime) he controlled the ice.

Bouchard thinks the game and sees the ice as well as, if not better than, any of his Dman peers. His first pass is exceptional. His shot is exceptional. (Hughes barely has a shot. Boqvist needs to work on his accuracy.) He logs huge minutes. He's the best natural PP QB in this draft class. I don't see a real problem with his skating, beyond the fact that he doesn't skate ludicrously well like Hughes does. He can't stickhandle in a phone booth, but he's a defenseman.

Not hardcore disagreeing with you, just saying.

I'm cool with us taking any of Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson. I just don't think it's quite accurate to say Bouchard is less skilled than the others. I want *effective* players.