• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

2018 draft , who's your 2 picks in 1stR

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

So looking at how we are situated I guess our pick is going to be somewhere between #5 and #10 , then our pick from Vegas will be in the #26 to #31 region. 

I'm going to say we get Adam Boqvist with our pick and Serron Noel with our pick from Vegas.

Unless Kenny packages both picks and a roster player and top prospect to move up the pick ladder, but I guess no one is going to give up a chance for Dahlin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We basically have three 1st round picks with OTT's. The way they are headed, it be the #32 overall! There are so many talents to choose from between 25-40. If we get $5, then our 2nd will be #36.

If we go D with our #1 - Boqvist

FWD with out #1 - Tkachuk

VEG's pick - Noel is one of my favs, as a FWD and Mattias Samuelsson as a D,although he has dropped a bit towards the 2nd round.

but you also have McLeod, Woo, McIsaac, Denisenko and keep a look at K'Andre Miller.

If we came out of the first two rounds with: Boqvist, Noel, McIsaac and Denisenko, that would be a haul!

But since this is a 1st round thread, again I will go with:

if D- Boqvist

if FWD - Tkachuk

then

if D - McIsaac

if FWD - Noel

Edited by LeftWinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

We basically have three 1st round picks with OTT's. The way they are headed, it be the #32 overall! There are so many talents to choose from between 25-40. If we get $5, then our 2nd will be #36.

If we go D with our #1 - Boqvist

FWD with out #1 - Tkachuk

VEG's pick - Noel is one of my favs, as a FWD and Samuelsson as a D

but you also have McLeod, Woo, McIsaac, Denisenko and keep a look at K'Andre Miller.

If we came out of the first two rounds with: Boqvist, Noel, McIsaac and Denisenko, that would be a haul!

But since this is a 1st round thread, again I will go with:

if D- Boqvist

if FWD - Tkachuk

then

if D - McIsaac

if FWD - Noel

Lets hope that pick is no higher than the 33rd...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quinn Hughes looks interesting, although on the small side for D , his skating is elite, and the added bonus would be in using him to persuade his lil Bro to decline all others in the 19 draft in favour of playing with his brother! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Quinn Hughes looks interesting, although on the small side for D , his skating is elite, and the added bonus would be in using him to persuade his lil Bro to decline all others in the 19 draft in favour of playing with his brother! 

Unless other D and C available are clearly worse, I'd avoid a smallish d-man, they have way too many of those type already.

 

I want the player with the most upside, preferable a D or C, but if a winger is clearly better, take him.  I DON'T want a Rasmussen/Sheahan type "well, he might not have as much of a ceiling but we're pretty sure he'll be in the NHL in 5 years."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C'mon! Rasmussen is going to replace the production of Tomas Holmstrom! He is a powerplay specialist! Doesn't matter Holland used his top 10 pick for a 2nd round player, he is (projected)  what we need in 5 years! I sure hope there aren't any purest scorer or top 2 C "no-brainer" picks when Holland picks this year, he'll surely grab a 3rd round guy instead!

Edited by LeftWinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

C'mon! Rasmussen is going to replace the production of Tomas Holmstrom! He is a powerplay specialist! Doesn't matter Holland used his top 10 pick for a 2nd round player, he is (projected)  what we need in 5 years! I sure hope there aren't any purest scorer or top 2 C "no-brainer" picks when Holland picks this year, he'll surely grab a 3rd round guy instead!

This is just not true. EVERY analyst that I read had him as a first round pick, and most had him as a top 10 pick. My personal go to is Bob McKenzie, I trust him more then anyone else and he had him at #9 . Where did we draft again?

https://www.tsn.ca/kchow-template-100-1.778987

Like most, I wish we drafted Vilardi, but to call Ras a 2nd round pick is BS.

 

Edited by kliq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kliq said:

This is just not true. EVERY analyst that I read had him as a first round pick, and most had him as a top 10 pick. My personal go to is Bob McKenzie, I trust him more then anyone else and he had him at #9 . Where did we draft again?

https://www.tsn.ca/kchow-template-100-1.778987

Like most, I wish we drafted Vilardi, but to call Ras a 2nd round pick is BS.

 

I think he's confusing Rasmussen with Choloskowi's story from the year before. 

Rasmussen was definitely a 1st round pick. The problem is the draft last year was weak. A lot of 1st rounders would usually have gone early in the 2nd year in a strong year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Wahlstrom, Hughes, Kupari, or Dobson with our pick, and I like Bernard Docker, Groulx, or Kotkaniemi with Las Vegas' pick.  I also really like McBain with Ottawa's second rounder.  Given how bunched together guys are I have a feeling some really good players are going to fall to us. 

Boom or bust picks for me are McLeod and Wilde. 

Edited by kipwinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I like Wahlstrom, Hughes, Kupari, or Dobson with our pick, and I like Bernard Docker, Groulx, or Kotkaniemi with Las Vegas' pick.  I also really like McBain with Ottawa's second rounder.  Given how bunched together guys are I have a feeling some really good players are going to fall to us. 

Boom or bust picks for me are McLeod and Wilde. 

This is what I want more of. F*** off with the safe picks. Take a chance on some kids with elite skill but holes in their game. I'd rather gamble on a kid with top line / pair talent that may boom or bust, rather than a kid with 2nd line / pair ceiling and 3rd line / pair floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough call; our first pick could be anywhere in the 1-12 range and, if I have the rules straight in my head, Vegas's pick could pretty much be anywhere in the 16-31 range. And there's so many good players available and there's very little agreement in terms of consensus rankings, beyond Dahlin being #1 and maybe the other top four being more or less set (kinda, sorta, possibly, potentially).

Assuming we pick, like, 9th (*groan*)...I guess I'd hope for Evan Bouchard.

Assuming the second pick is, like, 22nd...maybe Rasmus Kupari? He probably doesn't fall that far, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Tough call; our first pick could be anywhere in the 1-12 range and, if I have the rules straight in my head, Vegas's pick could pretty much be anywhere in the 16-31 range. And there's so many good players available and there's very little agreement in terms of consensus rankings, beyond Dahlin being #1 and maybe the other top four being more or less set (kinda, sorta, possibly, potentially).

Assuming we pick, like, 9th (*groan*)...I guess I'd hope for Evan Bouchard.

Assuming the second pick is, like, 22nd...maybe Rasmus Kupari? He probably doesn't fall that far, though.

I see the opposite...Dahlin is obviously good, but looks like an extremely weak draft beyond #1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

I see the opposite...Dahlin is obviously good, but looks like an extremely weak draft beyond #1.

Why do you say this? Every single analyst I have read is calling this one of the deepest draft in years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

I see the opposite...Dahlin is obviously good, but looks like an extremely weak draft beyond #1.

I mean, I'm no expert on any of this, but I've seen a lot of these players in action and I've tried to learn as much as I can about as many as I can, and, personally, I've found it kind of challenging to keep track of all of the players I find genuinely exciting. I wouldn't say the first round will be stacked with future gamechangers, but I do see a ton of promise.

The other thing is you have to look at things from the perspective of the Wings organization and consider what even a not-necessarily-amazing-but-certainly-very-good player could mean for the rebuild effort. I'm not sold on Brady Tkachuk being a future cornerstone centerman, but having a group of young forwards that consists of Tkachuk, Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Svechnikov, Rasmussen...that'd be pretty damn great for a team that's only missed the playoffs twice in the past 2.5 decades. Hell, throw Kupari or Veleno in there instead of Tkachuk and I might be equally excited. In terms of defensemen...for an organization that has been flat-out failing to produce legit high-end NHL defensemen, the Wings have gotta be licking their chops over the abundance of really good defensemen in the top two or three tiers of this draft class. (For the record, I don't fall into the "We have enough smallish offensive defensemen, we don't need any more" camp.)

Edited by Dabura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P.S. Andrei Svechnikov remains an elite-level talent and Filip Zadina is arguably his equal, at least at this point in time. So let's not rule out wingers. (IMHO.)

Edited by Dabura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

I see the opposite...Dahlin is obviously good, but looks like an extremely weak draft beyond #1.

Wait what? NHL analysts are calling this one of the strongest drafts..? 

Edited by kickazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kickazz said:

Wait what? NHL analysts are calling this one of the strongest drafts..? 

What analysts?  A lot of the discussion around trade deadline was that a lot of 1st rounders were moved because GMs didn't really value them that much this year due to the quality of players available this year.  I thought it was fairly common and accepted that the draft was weak.....obviously not view held by all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah @toby91_ca, I'm not sure where you're getting this info from, but I think it's completely off base. Everything I've heard and read has indicated that this is going to be an extremely good draft. Very strong at the top, with a generational player going number one, a few other elite level talents in the top 3-5, and top end talent can be found throughout the first couple rounds. I've heard that it could even rival the 2003 draft for overall depth in the top two rounds...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

What analysts?  A lot of the discussion around trade deadline was that a lot of 1st rounders were moved because GMs didn't really value them that much this year due to the quality of players available this year.  I thought it was fairly common and accepted that the draft was weak.....obviously not view held by all.

Pure speculation. I’ve heard that 1st rounders were traded moreso simply because the Western conference playoff race was so tight. 

How strong a draft is doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with how many deadline transactions there are. I think the last time these many 1st rounders were traded was 2008; same draft year that included Steven Stamkos, Doughty, Eberle, Erik Karlsson, Bailey, Pieterangelo, Del Zotto, Gardenier. 

Edited by kickazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dabura said:

what

This is widely -- if not near-universally -- considered a deep draft. Maybe you're thinking of last year's draft...?

That would make sense. Everything he is saying would apply to last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Pure speculation. I’ve heard that 1st rounders were traded moreso simply because the Western conference playoff race was so tight. 

How strong a draft is doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with how many deadline transactions there are. I think the last time these many 1st rounders were traded was 2008; same draft year that included Steven Stamkos, Doughty, Eberle, Erik Karlsson, Bailey, Pieterangelo, Del Zotto, Gardenier. 

It was the most first rounders dealt ever.  In terms of the 2008 draft, there may have been a lot dealt as well, but what was the perception of the draft?  There may have been star players picked, but we have the benefit of hindsight now....were they all projected to be great players?

Anyway, just mentioning what I've heard.  In terms of deep draft, I've heard that as well....but deep in terms of having quality players deeper in the draft, but light in terms of high end talent....which is why a 1st rounder wouldn't be that much more valuable than a 2nd rounder. 

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah @toby91_ca, I'm not sure where you're getting this info from, but I think it's completely off base. Everything I've heard and read has indicated that this is going to be an extremely good draft. Very strong at the top, with a generational player going number one, a few other elite level talents in the top 3-5, and top end talent can be found throughout the first couple rounds. I've heard that it could even rival the 2003 draft for overall depth in the top two rounds...

It's not my opinion, just mentioning what I've heard the so called experts discussing around the trade deadline.  I get that Dahlin is super hyped, but I haven't heard much about elite talent beyond that. 

Of course it's speculation, same as it would be speculation to say it's a very strong draft.  Neither can really be proven as it's a guess either way.  It's almost impossible to judge how good an 18 year will eventually become in the NHL.  There have been very few sure bets over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this