• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

No More Hockeytown At Center Ice?

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

Why?  Hockeytown is about the fans.

Hockeytown moniker is about the fans.

It pisses me off that they are removing it.  Mr. I had it trademarked because it's about the city and the fans not about the team.

The fans are not just in Detroit...

My point still stands. Can't be called hockeytown if most of your local fans only show up for cups. And it's not just the rink, last season theses forums, GDT were lucky to have 3-5 pages. Years ago it was easily in the high teens or higher almost every game. Same with HF board.

6 hours ago, xault said:

My point still stands. Can't be called hockeytown if most of your local fans only show up for cups. And it's not just the rink, last season theses forums, GDT were lucky to have 3-5 pages. Years ago it was easily in the high teens or higher almost every game. Same with HF board.

"Hockeytown" isn't defined by how many local fans show up to games. It's as much about the organization and the overall following outside of SE Michigan as well. 11 Stanley Cups (more than any other US based team), original 6 team, 25 straight years in the playoffs, 92 years in the NHL, the franchise that the rest of the league has modeled themselves after (and poached repeatedly). All of these are what makes it "Hockeytown". It's not just about Detroit. It's bigger than that. The term "Hockeytown" is a microcosm of a global phenomenon.

10 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

"Hockeytown" isn't defined by how many local fans show up to games. It's as much about the organization and the overall following outside of SE Michigan as well. 11 Stanley Cups (more than any other US based team), original 6 team, 25 straight years in the playoffs, 92 years in the NHL, the franchise that the rest of the league has modeled themselves after (and poached repeatedly). All of these are what makes it "Hockeytown". It's not just about Detroit. It's bigger than that. The term "Hockeytown" is a microcosm of a global phenomenon.

Guys, where hockeytown once was is now just clean ice. Clean ice that we can see our reflections in...

GASP

"Hockeytown" was inside each of us this whole time

16 hours ago, xault said:

Our city doesn't deserve to be called hockeytown anymore. Maybe when fans come back and fill out that lower bowl  seats again. Sad site to see during notional televise games.

We had issues filling the lower bowl when we were elite or contending too, but most would say it was because they were executive or group tickets that no one used. That said, would you want to pay a premium to see this team? I sure as hell wouldn't. 

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Smart? No.

Trying to meme without pics? Yes.

We must seize the memes of production

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|
|       BRING BACK        |
|     HOCKEYTOWN!!!   |
|____________|
(\__/)  ||
(•ㅅ•) ||
/   づ

but honestly do not like how the ice looks, not only because of the missing hockeytown logo, but that double little caesars around the center circle and the size of the brands in the neutral zone... ugh

Edited by NerveDamage

1 minute ago, NerveDamage said:

We must seize the meme's of production!

First they came for the neg buttons, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was not a neg button.

Then they came for side-stepping the swear filter, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was not side-stepping the swear filter.

Then they came for my original account, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was banned.

Then they came for memes—and there was no one left to speak for memes.

19 minutes ago, NerveDamage said:

We must seize the memes of production

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|
|       BRING BACK        |
|     HOCKEYTOWN!!!   |
|____________|
(\__/)  ||
(•ㅅ•) ||
/   づ

but honestly do not like how the ice looks, not only because of the missing hockeytown logo, but that double little caesars around the center circle and the size of the brands in the neutral zone... ugh

And who the hell is Marty on our jumbotron? Were not bringing in Brodeur are we? He just left the Blues... :ninja:

1 hour ago, Barrie said:

I'm ok with the new center ice look. Hockeytown was The Joe, Yzerman, McCarty, Shanahan, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Osgood, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc.. It's a new team in a new arena, so the next era has an opportunity to make their own identity.

Agreed - the identity of missing the playoffs by 15-20 points every year! (kidding...sort of) 

1 hour ago, Barrie said:

I'm ok with the new center ice look. Hockeytown was The Joe, Yzerman, McCarty, Shanahan, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Osgood, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc.. It's a new team in a new arena, so the next era has an opportunity to make their own identity.

Im normally a pure conservative traditionalist aka dont change anything about my team ever, but this i support. Team needs a fresh start and a new legacy. Time to shake off the old moss and make the new kids earn the right to be players in a place called "hockeytown". 

When they put hockeytown back on the ice during the 2021 playoffs its gonna get hype AF

On 8/26/2018 at 11:14 AM, LeftWinger said:

No more losing?

Do you think they just didn't renew the trademark and want to move forward with new philosophies?

I certainly hope so...but I do despise the commercialization of center ice. But, that's the corporate world! What's next, advertising on game sweaters?

I was reading an article (have to go back and find it) that said the trademark ends in January of 19. My guess is they aren’t renewing it. Also, didn’t they say before the arena was built we weren’t going to mess with tradition? 

41 minutes ago, HadThomasVokounOnFortSt said:

Oh god, you’re going to be sick when you see it. I hate this all...

I don't get it. Have we not already seen it?

While I like the Hockeytown nickname (and I don't think it will go away too soon even if the team itself abandons it), I like the clean logo much better. Imagine going a different direction; instead of removing Hockeytown from the center ice logo, what if they were adding it to the jersey? Horrifying thought, right?

We should focus on how awesome our logo is, not the loss of an old marketing slogan that never should have been there in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Buppy said:

I don't get it. Have we not already seen it?

While I like the Hockeytown nickname (and I don't think it will go away too soon even if the team itself abandons it), I like the clean logo much better. Imagine going a different direction; instead of removing Hockeytown from the center ice logo, what if they were adding it to the jersey? Horrifying thought, right?

We should focus on how awesome our logo is, not the loss of an old marketing slogan that never should have been there in the first place.

Nope, not center ice anymore. Look in the corners closest to us on the ice. ;)

20 minutes ago, HadThomasVokounOnFortSt said:

Nope, not center ice anymore. Look in the corners closest to us on the ice. ;)

Got it. I take it those are new. I never really notice the rink ads, other than the fake ones they put on the glass on TV. 

Makes me wonder though; how many ads could my brain learn to filter out, assuming they're added gradually? And also how much more prevalent fake ads will get if most other people also find them harder to ignore? Or would they become less common if higher visibility leads to fan backlash?

50 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Got it. I take it those are new. I never really notice the rink ads, other than the fake ones they put on the glass on TV. 

Makes me wonder though; how many ads could my brain learn to filter out, assuming they're added gradually? And also how much more prevalent fake ads will get if most other people also find them harder to ignore? Or would they become less common if higher visibility leads to fan backlash?

I've basically used that same argument to suggest that ads on uniforms is not a big deal.  It seems like it now, because we aren't used to them, but the minute you become used to them you don't see them.  Like tattoos.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I've basically used that same argument to suggest that ads on uniforms is not a big deal.  It seems like it now, because we aren't used to them, but the minute you become used to them you don't see them.  Like tattoos.

My edgy take: I see tattoos 

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs