• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2018 Prospects Watch

Rate this topic

32 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree, but both de la Rose and Ehn should be expendable and can be waived, sent to the minors / claimed by another team. Vanek should be gone. Both Zadina and Veleno should be pushing for roster spots, but the way this organization operates, they could both be in Grand Rapids. Maybe even Rasmussen as well. Svechnikov has to make the 23-man roster, or be exposed to waivers.

Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Nielsen, Abdelkader, Helm, Glendening and Svechnikov should be the only "guaranteed" spots (assuming there are no trades). That would leave 5 spots up front for Rasmussen, Zadina, Veleno, de la Rose, Ehn, Frk (if re-signed), Holmstrom and Turgeon to fight for. I'd love to see the first three be regulars next season, and any of the other five as the extra forwards...

There’s no doubt ehn and delarose can be expendable, as well as turgeon,but I put them there cause there all capable of playing on the 4th line and with a much lesser value, thus also providing extra picks for some of luke,helm,vanek and providing more opportunities in the top 3 lines for zadina,svechnikov, Rasmussen offensively. 

Vanek needs 100% be dealt, he won’t be here to mentor kids next season so get a 3rd if possible, explain to him he be better off trying to get on with a team to secure his next contract.

glendening at 1.8 if a team offers a 2nd+ take it and run, helm I think will be a tougher sell but if we can eat some salary and get some picks from a contender do it. You mentioned 5 spots available for zadina,ehn etc... I don’t want these guys to make the team if there gonna be a 4th line guy like Rasmussen is this year , you waste a 9th pick on this kid to put him at the bottom? Makes no sense. And I think if zadina continues on this pace he’s fonna start with the wings 

anyways I get nothing is certain but I think it’s time to move on from vanek and Gus and possibly other pieces if possible , things will also get complicated in a good way if we land hughes or kakko and I think it’s just a matter of time before we do up trading an athanasiou or mantha 

3 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Man I had totally forgot about svechnikov and the fact that he would have to go through waivers next year add to that the fact that zadina might make the club next season where are we suppose to fit Nyquist ? Unless we deal some deadweight in glendening,helm,abdelkader I can’t see how we can bring back Gus on another 4-5 year deal with all these kids coming 

we can’t be blinded by him having his good season on a contract year, I was always on the side of trading Gus and if the team wanted to retain him then bring him back July 1 but I think it might just be time to move on , Larkin will get chemistry with other players

Really wouldnt be hard at all to re-sign Nyquist.

The roster this year at F was Larkin, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Nielsen, Nyquist, AA, Abby, Helm, Glenny, Vanek, Moose, Frk, de la Rose, Ehn. That's 14 forwards. Vanek and Frk won't be back. That frees up 2 roster spots even with Goose. IF Svech is healthy and Zadina is ready to go, there's your 2 spots. I don't think Veleno will be ready next year yet. If we draft someone this summer who is good enough to make the team right away, then you send down Ehn or de la Rose to make room. Re-signing Nyquist doesn't create any roster issues.

23 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Really wouldnt be hard at all to re-sign Nyquist.

The roster this year at F was Larkin, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Nielsen, Nyquist, AA, Abby, Helm, Glenny, Vanek, Moose, Frk, de la Rose, Ehn. That's 14 forwards. Vanek and Frk won't be back. That frees up 2 roster spots even with Goose. IF Svech is healthy and Zadina is ready to go, there's your 2 spots. I don't think Veleno will be ready next year yet. If we draft someone this summer who is good enough to make the team right away, then you send down Ehn or de la Rose to make room. Re-signing Nyquist doesn't create any roster issues.

Frk is already gone and barely even played so he wasn’t blocking a spot. Resigning Nyquist will force us to carry a rasmussen again probably on the 4th line again and considering he was drafted 9th what’s the point? We get really lucky and land hughes/kakko that adds another top pick in the top 6 along with zadina .

why we bring back Nyquist? To play 3rd line at 5 per x4-5? Cause he had a career year at 30? Has great chemistry with Larkin? Larkin will find chemistry with other players cause he’s good

mantha bertuzzi Larkin zadina Rasmussen nielsen athanasiou svechnikov that’s 8 players already in the 3 lines , we get hughes/kakko with Nyquist signed what happens? None of those mentioned above should be on a 4th line and not to mention helm,glendening,abdelkader and other parts ... time to move on from Nyquist, we’ll reregret it in 2-3 years 

23 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Frk is already gone and barely even played so he wasn’t blocking a spot. Resigning Nyquist will force us to carry a rasmussen again probably on the 4th line again and considering he was drafted 9th what’s the point? We get really lucky and land hughes/kakko that adds another top pick in the top 6 along with zadina .

why we bring back Nyquist? To play 3rd line at 5 per x4-5? Cause he had a career year at 30? Has great chemistry with Larkin? Larkin will find chemistry with other players cause he’s good

mantha bertuzzi Larkin zadina Rasmussen nielsen athanasiou svechnikov that’s 8 players already in the 3 lines , we get hughes/kakko with Nyquist signed what happens? None of those mentioned above should be on a 4th line and not to mention helm,glendening,abdelkader and other parts ... time to move on from Nyquist, we’ll reregret it in 2-3 years 

Bert - Larkin - Mantha

Nyquist - Nielsen - Zadina

Moose - AA - Svech

Helm - Glenny - Abby

Moose has not proven himself to be in the top 6 yet. He might even be better off playing on a scoring line in GR next year. Svech has not proven to be more than a middle 6 winger, so the 3rd line seems just about right. The only F that we would draft that MIGHT be ready to go next season would be Hughes, and there's at best only an 18% chance that happens. Anyone else would be at least a year or 2 away from making the roster. Veleno is at least another year away, Berggren isn't even on the radar yet. I would be shocked if there are 6 forwards on the roster within 3 years who are better than Nyquist. Otherwise he should be re-signed.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Bert - Larkin - Mantha

Nyquist - Nielsen - Zadina

Moose - AA - Svech

Helm - Glenny - Abby

Moose has not proven himself to be in the top 6 yet. He might even be better off playing on a scoring line in GR next year. Svech has not proven to be more than a middle 6 winger, so the 3rd line seems just about right. The only F that we would draft that MIGHT be ready to go next season would be Hughes, and there's at best only an 18% chance that happens. Anyone else would be at least a year or 2 away from making the roster. Veleno is at least another year away, Berggren isn't even on the radar yet. I would be shocked if there are 6 forwards on the roster within 3 years who are better than Nyquist. Otherwise he should be re-signed.

18% chance at best but if we lock up Nyquist prior for 5 years then what happens if we actually win? What happens in 2 years when veleno is ready?3 if Berggren? Ufa’s? I wouldn’t be shocked at all if there were 6 forwards who were better than Nyquist within 3 years, the guys having his best season in a contract year and is turning 30 thats not someone we’d want to lock down for 5 years 

22 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

18% chance at best but if we lock up Nyquist prior for 5 years then what happens if we actually win? What happens in 2 years when veleno is ready?3 if Berggren? Ufa’s? I wouldn’t be shocked at all if there were 6 forwards who were better than Nyquist within 3 years, the guys having his best season in a contract year and is turning 30 thats not someone we’d want to lock down for 5 years 

Has anyone ever pointed out the irony? 

41 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Then you waive guys like Ehn, de la Rose, etc. No biggie. I have never thought that being so deep at F, you have to put middle 6 guys on ur 4th line a "bad" thing.

49 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Then you waive guys like Ehn, de la Rose, etc. No biggie. I have never thought that being so deep at F, you have to put middle 6 guys on ur 4th line a "bad" thing.

Pretty pointless and idiotic to put guys like zadina,Rasmussen,aa etc... on a 4th line of “you have to” and you keep mentioning waiving ehn and delarose and it’s no biggie but you forget helm abdelkader glendening who alone are basically the 4th line Already so ehn and delarose have no bearing on roster spots in the top 3 lines.

locking Nyquist 4-5 years isnt good idea unless you plan to deal a AA/mantha or some younger player to make room for Gus longterm because we have some real talent coming up like zadina,svechnikov,veleno etc... and it’s pointless for them to come to Detroit if they won’t get significant ice time which Gus would be given instead 

I agree with @nyqvististhefuture here...

7 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Has anyone ever pointed out the irony? 

:lol:

As much as I love Nyquist, and know how important he's been to this team the past few seasons, there simply isn't room on the roster going forward. We have too many young players on the roster that need more minutes, and prospects that will need promotions. Nyquist is turning 30 and having a career season in a contract year. This could be his last chance to really cash in. He won't be signing a short-term contract.  He will be looking to get PAID (rightfully so), and long-term. Thanks for your services, but we need to move on...

Not necessarily this season, but this is what the lineup could look like in a year or two...

*Hughes* - Larkin - Mantha

Zadina - Nielsen - Rasmussen

Bertuzzi - Veleno - Athanasiou

Abdelkader - Glendening - Helm

Svechnikov / Berggren / de la Rose / Ehn / Holmstrom / Turgeon ///

That's not even including Svechnikov, Berggren or any other prospects or picks as regulars in the lineup...

Edited by krsmith17

34 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

As much as I love Nyquist, and know how important he's been to this team the past few seasons, there simply isn't room on the roster going forward. We have too many young players on the roster that need more minutes, and prospects that will need promotions. Nyquist is turning 30 and having a career season in a contract year. This could be his last chance to really cash in. He won't be signing a short-term contract.  He will be looking to get PAID (rightfully so), and long-term. Thanks for your services, but we need to move on...

Not necessarily this season, but this is what the lineup could look like in a year or two...

That's not even including Svechnikov, Berggren or any other prospects or picks as regulars in the lineup...

Yup simply put just not enough room, we’ll possibly might have to even sacrifice a aa/mantha/ras in 2-3 yrs , this list doesn’t even include a ufa if we can actually land someone like stone and looking at your list Iines I just hope we somehow find a taker for nielsen haha(although deep down I know we’re stuck) 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

31 minutes ago, Dabura said:

This.

I have no interest in keeping Nyquist around for another four or five years. I might bring him back for three years. *Maybe*.

Yeah, re-signing Nyquist for 2-3 years at a reasonable (similar) cap-hit wouldn't be the worst thing, but there's no way he'd sign short-term. The last thing this team needs to do is overpay Nyquist on a long-term contract...

41 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Yup simply put just not enough room, we’ll possibly might have to even sacrifice a aa/mantha/ras in 2-3 yrs , this list doesn’t even include a ufa if we can actually land someone like stone and looking at your list Iines I just hope we somehow find a taker for nielsen haha(although deep down I know we’re stuck)

I think we need Nielsen (or a similar player) next season to fill that 2C slot. Hopefully Veleno can take over the following season and push Nielsen down, but I don't see any major rush in getting rid of him at this point. If / when we do need to trade Nielsen, it likely wouldn't be until the final year or two of his contract, and I think by that time there will be a team that would take him, even if it meant retaining some of the cap hit.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Let me be clear to begin. I agree with all of this. BUT if I put my Kenny hat on and look at this lineup there's some uncertainty.

What if we draft Byram? 

What if Zadina and Veleno don't develop like we think they will? 

What if Rasmussen is a career 3rd liner? 

Nyquist is "bird in hand" so to speak. Plus there needs to be some competition. These kids have to "take someone's job" don't you know. 

I feel Nyquist will be dealt because he probably wants to test the market (why wouldn't he). 

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, re-signing Nyquist for 2-3 years at a reasonable (similar) cap-hit wouldn't be the worst thing, but there's no way he'd sign short-term. The last thing this team needs to do is overpay Nyquist on a long-term contract...

I think we need Nielsen (or a similar player) next season to fill that 2C slot. Hopefully Veleno can take over the following season and push Nielsen down, but I don't see any major rush in getting rid of him at this point. If / when we do need to trade Nielsen, it likely wouldn't be until the final year or two of his contract, and I think by that time there will be a team that would take him, even if it meant retaining some of the cap hit.

Think there’s zero chance Nyquist will sign 2-3 years , this is his chance to get some money and some team out there will give him 5x5 

Think nielsen at this point is more a 3c , I’ve always been team kakko and still am , worried about hughes seemingly being injured literally every season and still not even in a mens league yet but if we got hughes to play with zadina nielsen perfectly drops down and lower when other future c’s come.

do agree with nielsen probably being dealt on his last season depending where we are as a team, just seem him with his cap hit and mediocre production and age just bugs me, probably feel better with abdelkader gone but we also know we’re stuck with that train wreck of a deal. If only we could eat half of that and trade him to someone 

7 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Let me be clear to begin. I agree with all of this. BUT if I put my Kenny hat on and look at this lineup there's some uncertainty.

What if we draft Byram? 

Drafting Byram isn't an option. Hughes or bust. Naw, seriously though, I'd be shocked if we didn't take a forward with our first round pick. Even if we drop to 5 (I don't think we will), I think any of the defensemen would be a bit of a reach there...

11 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

WhAt If ZaDiNa aNd VeLeNo DoN't DeVeLoP LiKe We ThInK ThEy WiLl? 

They will.

13 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

What if Rasmussen is a career 3rd liner? 

He might be if Blashill continues playing him with scrubs. It was nice to see him get a couple shifts with Athanasiou / Nyquist last night. He needs to continue playing with good players to develop into a good player. IF that happens though, Bertuzzi or Athanasiou could easily move up. Bertuzzi has proven to be an effective top six winger, and Athanasiou continues to be one of our most dangerous players, despite getting s*** minutes with s*** players...

16 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Nyquist is "bird in hand" so to speak. Plus there needs to be some competition. These kids have to "take someone's job" don't you know. 

I feel Nyquist will be dealt because he probably wants to test the market (why wouldn't he). 

Let the bird go. There are plenty of other birds in the cage. Grab another damn bird...

The bold is all that really matters here. He SHOULD test free agency. He owes it to himself.

Side note. Nyquist was featured in an episode of "The Red and White Authority" a few weeks ago, and Art was trying to get an answer out of him regarding his future, and I just got a vibe, not so much from what he was saying, but how he was saying it, that he was likely done in Detroit after this season...