• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

42 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

4hift4.jpg

Revenue sharing clearly needs to be increased if big market teams like Detroit can spend to the cap despite Covid and smaller market teams are being forced to dismantle their teams - like with OEL and Hall - and implement significant internal caps.

Still not Detroit's problem. Maybe don't have hockey in Arizona if they can't afford to compete. Covid prevented the cap from increasing for three years. Many teams spending to the cap are now faced with dumping valuable players as well, such as the defending champs. That is what I think is s***. A team spends years drafting and developing players, only to lose a bunch of them because of the cap. 

Tampa are not giving up any major assets to get rid of Tyler Johnson. Certainly not a 1st, plus... Johnson still has some value, and would not be a typical cap dump.

EDIT: I didn't realize there was 4 years left on his contract. For some reason I was thinking he was a UFA at the end of next season... Either way, I still don't think Tampa will have to give up a 1st, plus, but I wouldn't want him at $5M for the next 4 years, unless something was attached...

Edited by krsmith17

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Tampa are not giving up any major assets to get rid of Tyler Johnson. Certainly not a 1st, plus... Johnson still has some value, and would not be a typical cap dump.

EDIT: I didn't realize there was 4 years left on his contract. For some reason I was thinking he was a UFA at the end of next season... Either way, I still don't think Tampa will have to give up a 1st, plus, but I wouldn't want him at $5M for the next 4 years, unless something was attached...

Id have zero interest in johnson if we’re not getting assets back , yes i know were awful right now but doesnt mean we should be taking him on if were not getting assets to help out a team in desperate need ... and say a 2nd wouldnt be enough for me unless they attach foote 

i still think marc andre fleury trade where we then flip him is by far the first move we should make and the most beneficial 

26 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

You just want an excuse for Detroit to be a cash rich powerhouse dynasty. That's not what's good for this league. We need to grow and have successful teams in places like Arizona and Florida.

All revenue should be given to the league, then redistributed to teams fairly. That way all teams have identical spending power.

Your attempts at trolling are pretty lame. 

Even if revenue was distributed evenly, many owners would simply pocket the extra dough and still set an internal cap. Ever hear of Eugene Melnyk?

Edited by marcaractac

8 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Id have zero interest in johnson if we’re not getting assets back , yes i know were awful right now but doesnt mean we should be taking him on if were not getting assets to help out a team in desperate need ... and say a 2nd wouldnt be enough for me unless they attach foote 

I don't know. It's so hard to gauge. Under normal circumstances, I would think a team would trade (give up assets) for Johnson, but with the flat cap, and teams being under internal budgets, it's hard to see any team giving up assets to acquire him. I tend to agree. I don't think a 2nd round pick would be enough. If Johnson were a UFA, I'd have no interest in signing him to a 4 year contract worth $5M per, so to help out a divisional rival, and take him on, it would have to be well worth it for us...

14 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

i still think marc andre fleury trade where we then flip him is by far the first move we should make and the most beneficial 

I agree.

Just now, CatBoyRossi said:

Your attempts to justify Detroit having more spending power than half the league are pretty lame.

That would be perfectly within Melnyk's right to do. This isn't a mandate that teams HAVE to spend to the cap. Many rebuilding wouldn't and shouldn't. It's a mandate to give equality of opportunity to each team.

Every team does have equal opportunity to spend to the cap. The owners all agreed to this cap to begin with. There are plenty of owners who could spend to the cap, but simply do not. There are also plenty of small market teams that have already proven you can spend to the cap and have success. Larger markets shoudn't have to pay for other owner's incompetence. 

Arizona's ownership knew about the cap before they bought in. They could have easy deemed they are unable to compete and backed out. Plenty of other cities out there that would love the chance to have a new team and spend to the cap.  

29 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't know. It's so hard to gauge. Under normal circumstances, I would think a team would trade (give up assets) for Johnson, but with the flat cap, and teams being under internal budgets, it's hard to see any team giving up assets to acquire him. I tend to agree. I don't think a 2nd round pick would be enough. If Johnson were a UFA, I'd have no interest in signing him to a 4 year contract worth $5M per, so to help out a divisional rival, and take him on, it would have to be well worth it for us...

I agree.

Tb want a 1st back for johnson/killorn ... living in a dreamworld 

tampa’s in for a rude awakening 

13 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Tb want a 1st back for johnson/killorn ... living in a dreamworld 

tampa’s in for a rude awakening 

Well, they can have their $5M in cap to work with to re-sign their RFA's then.  I guess they don't realize that clearing cap space is for other teams to HELP them out, not the other way around. Give me something extra for helping you out! If someone gives them a 1st for ANYONE, including the oft hurt Stamkos, then they're NUTS!

Edited by LeftWinger

5 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Well, they can have their $5M in cap to work with to re-sign their RFA's then.  I guess they don't realize that clearing cap space is for other teams to HELP them out, not the other way around. Give me something extra for helping you out! If someone gives them a 1st for ANYONE, including the oft hurt Stamkos, then they're NUTS!

Most players Tampa want to move have value. Some have high value. Teams getting these players won't be doing it to help Tampa. They'll be doing it to make their team better. That doesn't cost Tampa assets. 

1 hour ago, CatBoyRossi said:

All revenue should be given to the league, then redistributed to teams fairly. That way all teams have identical spending power.

Dude. They already share LEAGUE revenue equally among the teams. The reason some teams have more spending power than others is because they generate more revenue at the franchise level.

Each and every franchise has the same opportunity for success. That's what fairness is: equal opportunity, not equality of outcome. Stop with the leftist nonsense.

For the most part, teams aren't even competing at the market level. They have no direct local competition. If a team isn't doing well financially, you can't blame the other franchises for that. That's failure at the franchise level, and it should not be the responsibility of the other successful franchises to take care of them.

Give each team the same rules to operate with and Let them succeed or fail on their own. The NHL would do just fine with fewer teams. The league has been around for over a century. Teams have come and gone, some relocated, some are defunct. And even without your concept of "fairness" the league has grown from 6 franchises to 32. I'd say the NHL is doing just fine the way it is.

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

Still not Detroit's problem. Maybe don't have hockey in Arizona if they can't afford to compete. Covid prevented the cap from increasing for three years. Many teams spending to the cap are now faced with dumping valuable players as well, such as the defending champs. That is what I think is s***. A team spends years drafting and developing players, only to lose a bunch of them because of the cap. 

these teams probably just took a gamble with the cap rising forever and lost, happens and no one else than themself to blame for it. I thought it was very creative what Dubas did last year with the cap in TOR but the "crash" was inevitable. Other teams like Tampa have similiar problems, you can only have so many high paid players, the price of success...

1 minute ago, CatBoyRossi said:

He's on the books now for x6 more seasons

2020-21 - $1.8
22 - $2.3
23 - $2.3
24 - $1.0
25 - $1.0
26 - $1.0

I really don't understand this move, unless they were desperate for a roster spot this coming season.

9 minutes ago, mackel said:

I really don't understand this move, unless they were desperate for a roster spot this coming season.

Was either this or grand rapids . Abdelkader having a roster spot this season was never an option 

1 minute ago, Akakabuto said:

Dont think so

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I would have preferred a Nielsen buyout. 6 years is a long time to have dead cap on the books... Abdelkader is also a mil cheaper, and a better fit as the 12th / 13th forward than Nielsen in my opinion...

Id have buried him , i sense this is stevie helping out his buddy 

yrs 4-5-6 is livable ... cheap contracts during those yrs , cant do anymore buyouts though/eat salary for teams unless its 1-2 yrs