• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Yeah, totally agree. They don't NEED to dump him and he's still got TONS of value.

Again, any trade for Stamkos would be a cap dump. They don't want to take a big contract back I'm sure. They'd want futures/prospects.

I'd definitely do it if the ask was futures. First, he's a genuine difference maker who would help us win games. Second, in doing so he makes us more desirable for UFAs. Third, if nothing changes you trade him to a contender 3 years from now for a haul because he'll still be able to score at 33 years old. For Veleno/Rasmussen and two 2nds I'd do it.

I dont know if that gets it done ... edm alone would probably take him and put him with mcdavid and they have the 14th pick to bargain with 

just think there will be better offers from other teams who will be going for it now

33 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

TBH how is this fair? Teams have internal caps kicking in where some (good) teams can't even afford to go north of $70 million. But Yzerman can just ice a crap team and load up and max out his cap. And probably even go over with LTIR contracts.

I mean I get it, Little Caesars did well during Covid and made an NHL-wide exclusive pizza deal, so we can afford it. But c'mon... this isn't parity. We are unfairly reaping rewards because our capitalist owner can simply out spend other teams during trying times. If we reorganize draft picks so the worst teams get the best picks why are we not redistributing money so other teams get the same to spend?

It's pretty much bull s*** when you think about it. Even if it does benefit the Red Wings. But folks will just say we bought our cups (again), and we will always have that asterisk. For once I'd like to not "buy a cup".

You shut up.

5 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I dont know if that gets it done ... edm alone would probably take him and put him with mcdavid and they have the 14th pick to bargain with 

just think there will be better offers from other teams who will be going for it now

Yeah, that's probably my starting ask. I'm sure there are other teams who could offer more, but the sticking point is the flat cap. Edmonton (for example) has about 10 million in cap space with only 34/50 contracts signed and lots of quality free agents to sign over the next two years. Could they move out a big contract, maybe? But other than Detroit and a few others there aren't any teams willing to take on bad/big contracts with the cap stuck at 80 mil this year (and probably next year too). Normally I don't think a team like Detroit, with an offer like mine, would be in the running but this isn't a normal year and we may just be able to capitalize on that.

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Yeah, that's probably my starting ask. I'm sure there are other teams who could offer more, but the sticking point is the flat cap. Edmonton (for example) has about 10 million in cap space with only 34/50 contracts signed and lots of quality free agents to sign over the next two years. Could they move out a big contract, maybe? But other than Detroit and a few others there aren't any teams willing to take on bad/big contracts with the cap stuck at 80 mil this year (and probably next year too). Normally I don't think a team like Detroit, with an offer like mine, would be in the running but this isn't a normal year and we may just be able to capitalize on that.

Ya im sure theyd try and move russell and a few other guys , maybe nuge? 6 mill one year left, maybe he demands more $ ... theres always a way to make things work

your right about how this isnt a normal year and i suspect we’ll have good options for ufa because of it which id be all over (simply to get trade bait for the deadline)

stamkos is a special player though and im sure teams with $ and a chance at winning the cup will make things happen . I can picture jim rutherford trying to desperately clear space and offering 1sts from 2022-2024 to make it happen

1 minute ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Ya im sure theyd try and move russell and a few other guys , maybe nuge? 6 mill one year left, maybe he demands more $ ... theres always a way to make things work

your right about how this isnt a normal year and i suspect we’ll have good options for ufa because of it which id be all over (simply to get trade bait for the deadline)

stamkos is a special player though and im sure teams with $ and a chance at winning the cup will make things happen . I can picture jim rutherford trying to desperately clear space and offering 1sts from 2022-2024 to make it happen

The problem with "clearing space" is that there's nobody willing to take on contracts. Detroit's in the driver's seat because we aren't close to the cap limit AND we don't have an internal cap. Most other teams are either right up against the cap or are on an ownership imposed budget.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

The problem with "clearing space" is that there's nobody willing to take on contracts. Detroit's in the driver's seat because we aren't close to the cap limit AND we don't have an internal cap. Most other teams are either right up against the cap or are on an ownership imposed budget.

It all depends right? I can see the habs taking hopkins for instance, its just one year x6 thus allowing edm to pursue stamkos ... id have to look at everyones situations but theres always an option . I think as crazy as it is with nyr having 12 mill wasted in buyout money would be able to fit stamkos

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

2 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

It all depends right? I can see the habs taking hopkins for instance, its just one year x6 thus allowing edm to pursue stamkos ... id have to look at everyones situations but theres always an option . I think as crazy as it is with nyr having 12 mill wasted in buyout money would be able to fit stamkos

In that scenario I'd just take Nugant Hopkins from Edmonton and let them pursue Stamkos. In any event Detroit is situated to benefit if good players/big contracts are gonna get moved.

I am a fan of Markstrom, but I don't feel like it's the right fit here, I highly doubt he wants to carry another rebuild on his back. Greiss in my opinion is the perfect goalie for us right now. 

Still hoping we draft Askarov, in my opinion is the clear 2nd best player in this draft. Maybe the best player from this draft when it's all said and done. Everyone hates how we have zero elite or game breaking talent. Askarov that if you ask me.

Off the board maybe, but I'd like to see Wayne Simmonds here on a 1 year deal as well. I could see trading him at the deadline, but give us some much needed toughness in the mean time.

As for Krug, it really depends on the contract if I'll love it or hate it. Gonna hate it if is more than 3 years.

My highly unlikely dream move is we send a offer sheet to Sergachev. 

1 hour ago, CatBoyRossi said:

capitalist owner 

It's pretty much bull s*** when you think about it. Even if it does benefit the Red Wings. But folks will just say we bought our cups (again), and we will always have that asterisk. For once I'd like to not "buy a cup".

Lol - are you implying that the other owners aren't capitalists? The NHL is literally a capitalist business. What a strange, strange take.

If you can't refute the narrative that the Wings bought their cups, then you haven't done your research. In 96',  We had an amazing amount of drafted talent (14)
(Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, McCarty, Kozlov, Konstantinov, Lapointe, Dandenault, Holmstrom, Pushor, Eriksson, Kocur, Osgood, Knuble)

1 guy off waivers (Doug Brown)

1 salary dump (Larry Murphy - which we likely only took on because of Ramsey's sudden retirement)
1 player dump (Draper)

And some bold and shrewd trades: (7)
Shanny - Paul Coffee, Primeau and a 1st
Larionov - for Ray Sheppard
Maltby - Dan Mcgillis
Fetisov - 3rd round
Vernon - Steve Chiasson
Aaron Ward - Paul Ysabaert
Tomas Sandstrom - Greg Johnson

We signed a grand total of 1 free agent - Bob Rouse.

The next year was much of the same with the obvious subtraction of Konstantinov and Vernon (We drafted Kevin Hodson and Norm Maracle)

Traded for:
Mironov - for Jamie Pushor
Macoun - 4th rounder

Only UFA we signed in the offseason: Brent Gilchrist

The narrative only holds in 02 - but that roster was a spectacle so I'm completely fine with it.

07-08

A lot of the same characters plus guys we drafted that we're familiar with so I wont get too into it but:

Traded for Chelios, Stuart, Hasek

Signed:
Samuelsson - he was a nobody before he signed with us, not a big signing
Cleary - he got a contract with us only after he was invited to camp when he received no other offers
Rafalski - This was a big signing. We're still allowed a signing like this and not have it count as "buying a cup"
Dallas Drake - This was his swan song. He was previously put on waivers and we signed him for 550k so not a big signing (plus technically we did draft him!)

So ya, the buying the cup narrative is just flat out wrong. We were able to retain a lot of our talent that we drafted, but that's not "buying" a cup.  Not to mention, many teams every year try to buy the cup. They spend money and the roster never comes together. So it isn't all about money. I remember in the 90's and early 2000's the Rangers were spending money like crazy but they could never put together a winning formula.

Honestly the narrative doesn't even hold true for 02.

We traded 30+ goal scorer Kozlov and a 1st round draft pick for Hasek

We already had traded for Chelios in 1999 (giving up TWO 1st round draft picks and Anders Eriksson)

We signed Frederick Olausson whom was playing in Europe.

We signed Brett Hull in late August, after nobody else really wanted him. 

We signed Duchesne in September of 1999

Devereaux in August of 2000 as well, plus it's not like anyone was racing to sign him...

Same with Jason Williams (August)

Then we acquired Slegr at the TDL in March of 02

The only player we signed right away on July 1 was Luc Robitaille, and that is after LaPointe signed in Boston.

So really, someone explain how that Cup was bought again?

Edited by LeftWinger

So you think we exist in a fair league when other teams can't spend to the cap but we can?

So you think we exist in a fair league when other teams can't spend to the cap but we can?

Totally fair. Should I not be able to buy a nice house because you can only afford a trailer?

Besides, the league already has revenue sharing and all the teams get the same amount from network contracts, Center Ice packages, etc.

If your team makes less money than others on other sources of revenue like ticket sales, merchandise, etc; then do a better job of selling tickets and merchandise. Or is systemic oppression from the Original Six Supremacists to blame for some of these teams not doing as well?

1 minute ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I've said this before, and I stand by it. If Yzermam doesn't end up with another 2020 1st round pick from all of this, it is a massively failed opportunity. Over half the league are under a cap crunch, and we're one of the few teams that have the cap space, and aren't under an internal cap by ownership.

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I've said this before, and I stand by it. If Yzermam doesn't end up with another 2020 1st round pick from all of this, it is a massively failed opportunity. Over half the league are under a cap crunch, and we're one of the few teams that have the cap space, and aren't under an internal cap by ownership.

Still think we shoulda pushed harder with the staal trade , actual money is less bur the cap hit is still high at 5.7 , we start doing a few more of those and just get 2nds itll be a f***en waste

saw the video and arizona wants a team to give a 1st , a young d prospect and take all the money off ekman larsson .... goodluck with that lol

would anyone here force arizona into doing cholowski + pick 32 for no rention? They have no picks till 4th round ....i think his numbers have gone down cause of where he is 

my thinking is he plays with us bounces back and we flip him at the deadline or 18 months later with salary retention

or we flip him right away with 50% retention .... surely we might be able to land at least a few 1sts for ekman larsson at 4 mill a season . Gotta think a bunch of teams would come knocking ...ya just remembered it would be for 7yrs , dont know if thats realistic lol oh well ... if we did that it would have to be 2 1sts, top prospects + player(s) to even think about wasting 28 million .... maybe that would get melnyk to salivate and get the 5th overall pick included in the deal lmao