• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The 91 of Ryans

New New Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

On 3/16/2022 at 11:26 PM, bIueadams said:

Yeah but Ducks might trade Lindholm at this TDL

If we can't score Lindholm, we need guys similar to him. Left handed, and whom can actually defend.

In this order:

1. Ben Chiarot - Probably will be a bidding war and we won't get
  2. Mark Giordano - Won't be available, going straight back to Calgary
  3. Alexander Edler - 36 years old, offer $3.5 x 1
  4. Alex Goligoski - 37 years old, offer $5 x 1
  5. Calvin De Haan - 31 years old, offer $3.5 x 3
  6. Nikita Zadorov - 27 years old, offer $4 x 3
  7. Olli Maata - 28 years old, offer $3 x 3
  8. Might as well just re-sign Staal after this

Edler and Goligoski can both score and defend, they're just old as dirt and I worry they will hit a wall soon or get injured. But it might be nice having a vet in the locker room who can wear an A. We can at least dump them at the end of the season too. De Haan, Zadorov, and Maata can't score to save their lives, but are decent stay at home guys with some youth on them still. Maata and De Haan had some shine come off of them these past years and might be motivated to come and play with Seider to reignite their positions in the league. Zadorov has been forced down the CGY lineup and might feel the same way about his ice time which we can give him.

Sign 1 of Edler/Goligoski
Sign 1 of De Haan/Zadorov/Maata

:ok:

Signing Edler or Goligoski to a 1 year deal would not be a bad idea. Seider could use a vet to pair with that can still actually play.

De Haan would actually be a good partner for Hronek, IMO. I believe De Haan is more of a reliable stay-at-home dman, which safely frees up Hronek to be a little aggressive offensively. Plus De Haan is 30. So signing him to a 3 year deal would make the veteran locker room presence in a few years when all of the other D is mid 20s and younger.

5 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Signing Edler or Goligoski to a 1 year deal would not be a bad idea. Seider could use a vet to pair with that can still actually play.

De Haan would actually be a good partner for Hronek, IMO. I believe De Haan is more of a reliable stay-at-home dman, which safely frees up Hronek to be a little aggressive offensively. Plus De Haan is 30. So signing him to a 3 year deal would make the veteran locker room presence in a few years when all of the other D is mid 20s and younger.

It was rumored Holland wanted De Haan when he was exiting the Islanders

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

Lets get him in and Zadina out

What an odd thing to say. Why would you say that? Unless...wait...did Zadina fail to do anything of note, yet again, for the zillionth game in a row? Color me shocked.

On 3/27/2022 at 1:15 AM, kipwinger said:

What an odd thing to say. Why would you say that? Unless...wait...did Zadina fail to do anything of note, yet again, for the zillionth game in a row? Color me shocked.

There are many scenarios where I'd argue his number of games played might be too quick to give up. But progress has to be shown during that time. Zadina hasn't shown that.

On 3/8/2022 at 4:11 PM, bIueadams said:

College hockey free agents we can chase:

1. Akito Hirose ------- Minny State ------------ 23 - LHD - 6'0", 170 lbs --- 22 pts in 32 games - Brother of Taro. High IQ.
  2. Ethen Frank ------- Western Mich --------- 24 - C ---- 5'11", 185 lbs - 35 pts in 32 games - Assistant captain
  3. Travis Mitchell ---- Cornell U --------------- 22 - LHD - 6'3", 200 lbs --- 15 pts in 29 games - From Michigan
  4. Jacob Bengtsson - Lake Superior State - 23 - LHD - 6'3", 200 lbs --- 27 pts in 36 games - Swedish
  5. Trent Bliss --------- Mich Tech -------------- 24 - C ---- 6'0", 190 lbs --- 38 pts in 34 games
  6. Brandon Bussi ---- Western Mich --------- 24 - G ---- 6'5", 210 lbs
  7. Ben Meyers -------- U of Minny ------------ 23 -- C ---- 5'11", 195 lbs -- 34 pts in 29 games - Captain

Griffins just signed Trenton Bliss and we are in on Ben Meyers. This is good. I wouldn't mind getting Frank, Bussi, and Hirose too. 

12 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

Griffins just signed Trenton Bliss and we are in on Ben Meyers. This is good. I wouldn't mind getting Frank, Bussi, and Hirose too. 

Nvm on Bussi. Just saw the Bruins inked him. We could've used a goalie prospect like that oh well. 

On 3/28/2022 at 10:18 AM, marcaractac said:

There are many scenarios where I'd argue his number of games played might be too quick to give up. But progress has to be shown during that time. Zadina hasn't shown that.

He's invisible... recently in games I've watched he's so infrequently mentioned I thought he was scratched or hurt.

At this point the let's wait and see approach has taken us from hyped draft pick, to well Kucherov took a while,  to he's still young, to a maybe a change of scenery trade assest, to worthless throw in trade assest.

2 seasons until he's playing in Europe.

Told yas so.

18 minutes ago, mackel said:

He's invisible... recently in games I've watched he's so infrequently mentioned I thought he was scratched or hurt.

At this point the let's wait and see approach has taken us from hyped draft pick, to well Kucherov took a while,  to he's still young, to a maybe a change of scenery trade assest, to worthless throw in trade assest.

2 seasons until he's playing in Europe.

Told yas so.

His development has simply been becoming not a liability. That isn't good enough for a guy who is supposed to score. Going into this season I was on board with giving him one last chance before jumping on the bust bandwagon; which I feel was fair given his age. Zero improvements. Bust. 

He'll make a career for at least a few more seasons bouncing around from team to team with GMs hoping he can find some of that draft pedigree in him. He'd make a semi-valuable trade addition right now only due to his age in hopes a change of scenery works. But it won't. 

Veleno has shown growth over time. He is okay. 

Agreed. And it's not like Blashill hasn't done everything possible to get him going. He's played him up and down the lineup, given him powerplay time, better linemates, scratched him, etc. etc. etc. What else can the coach do? The dude sucks. His best attribute is that he hustles. That's it. What a waste of a top pick.

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Agreed. And it's not like Blashill hasn't done everything possible to get him going. He's played him up and down the lineup, given him powerplay time, better linemates, scratched him, etc. etc. etc. What else can the coach do? The dude sucks. His best attribute is that he hustles. That's it. What a waste of a top pick.

I want to finally kill the notion that you can't judge players because they're young. It boggles my mind. We spend all year judging draft picks..  but then you draft them and suddenly their skills are no longer open to interpretation. It was quite obvious we got bunk picks in Zadina and Cholowski. But the TOO SOON crowd was out in full force for years protecting them. Call it like you see it on any player, regardless of age. 

4 hours ago, bIueadams said:

I want to finally kill the notion that you can't judge players because they're young. It boggles my mind. We spend all year judging draft picks..  but then you draft them and suddenly their skills are no longer open to interpretation. It was quite obvious we got bunk picks in Zadina and Cholowski. But the TOO SOON crowd was out in full force for years protecting them. Call it like you see it on any player, regardless of age. 

I think the biggest thing with Zadina that he was a projected top 3 dropped to us @ 6. Bragged about filling nets yadda yadda and then we waited and waited and waited and are still waiting.

Unlike Mr Raymond and Mr Seider who have come in quietly oozing confidence in their game and making Yzerguy look like an absolute genius.  

I don't see Zadina going much further in a Winged Wheel unless he magically grows 3 or 4 inches and finds an Al Macinnis style slap shot ...or his brain and footwork improve to where he can fill nets because he anticipates things ...

7 hours ago, bIueadams said:

But you can't judge a players outcome that way. If you put even the best prospects into the NHL before they're fully developed, they will struggle. Anyone will struggle in a league above what their current skill is.

That's just as wrong as assuming that a guy who tears up lower leagues will be a good NHL player. You can't possibly know until their talent plateaus.

Zadina is 22. You can't assume he will be the same player at 25 or 30, that he is now. He may never develop into an impact player, but you can't say for sure, at 22, that he won't get better.