• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
betterREDthandead

2007 Baseball Season

Rate this topic

I thought my mind was playing tricks on me when we won a game with Rodney pitcing at the end. :rolleyes:

Great game, especially by Pudge. 3 run homer to win it. Next game is at Baltimore. Not sure their record so far, but it should be a good one.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Another day where the bats were ice cold. We're making average pitchers look like the 2nd coming of Bob Gibson right now. I shudder to think what's going to happen when we go up against Halladay later this week.

Come on guys; wake up!

Lou you should be somewhat happy; Durbin looked like crap. He was floating pitches up there all day (or at least for the whole 4 2/3 innings he lasted). I give him another try; If it's the same result, bring up Miller.

Edited by Airborn

I still don't want to rush Miller. If Durbin can't hack it, bring up Miner.

Agreed. Miner is a good enough replacement at this point. Miller looks pretty good in the minors, but I feel the Tigers should give him a little more time to develop right now.

Durbin doesn't impress me at all right now. It's still early, but maybe Miner should be given a little consideration if Durbin doesn't pick it up.

Durbin doesn't impress me at all right now. It's still early, but maybe Miner should be given a little consideration if Durbin doesn't pick it up.

You know I was thinking the same thing today after watching Durbin pitch; how did this guy beat out Miner? I know it's just one outing, but it looked like he was lobbing batting pratice.

Another day where the bats were ice cold. We're making average pitchers look like the 2nd coming of Bob Gibson right now. I shudder to think what's going to happen when we go up against Halladay later this week.

Come on guys; wake up!

Lou you should be somewhat happy; Durbin looked like crap. He was floating pitches up there all day (or at least for the whole 4 2/3 innings he lasted). I give him another try; If it's the same result, bring up Miller.

Yeah Durbin was junk, I dont think he should be given another start. But at the same time, I dont want Miner either. He had his hot start and that was it, longterm i dont see much in him anymore as a starter. He'll come up, post a 4.9 - 5.10 ERA...whats the point? If they really dont wanna bring up Miller now, I'd rather give Jordin Tata a look up here as a starter, or even Jair Jurrjens down in Erie.

Yeah Durbin was junk, I dont think he should be given another start. But at the same time, I dont want Miner either. He had his hot start and that was it, longterm i dont see much in him anymore as a starter. He'll come up, post a 4.9 - 5.10 ERA...whats the point? If they really dont wanna bring up Miller now, I'd rather give Jordin Tata a look up here as a starter, or even Jair Jurrjens down in Erie.

At this point though, Miner may be the better option. If today was any implication of how Durbin will play here, then we need to get rid of him, fast. Miner really won't be long term anyways. Once we get Rogers back, that should push either Durbin or Miner down the depth chart.

Polanco is fastly becoming my favorite Tiger; he just does all the little unoticed things. Tonight is a perfect example.

In the 6th, trying to move runners over, he lays down a bunt so perfect that he actually gets a single out of it. Then after it looks like Ordonez hits into a killer, ending-inning double play, he causes Roberts to throw wildly with a hard slide, causing two runs to score. If his bunt doesn't go for a hit, the inning is already over. If he doesn't bust his ass to break up the double play, those 2 runs never score.

In the 8th, he gets an insurance run with a sacrafice fly.

Finally in the 9th, he makes a diving stop to rob Markakis of a hit, and prevents any rally from potentially starting.

At this point though, Miner may be the better option. If today was any implication of how Durbin will play here, then we need to get rid of him, fast. Miner really won't be long term anyways. Once we get Rogers back, that should push either Durbin or Miner down the depth chart.

I feel differently. I think at this point, with as good a team as we have, we can afford to take gambles on that 5th slot with a Tata, Jurrjens, or Miller. At the very least, even if they didnt perform well at least they got some experience out of it and you're able to get a look at another guy in your system. With Miner, I just dont see a point...its kinda like playing Josh Langfeld, well obviously hes not THAT bad but you know what i mean. I'd rather take a chance on someone new, the unknown factor, hey maybe Tata comes in and does great. But with Miner, i mean what are the odds that his ERA will be below 5 if he came in as a starter? Probably not that great.

Polanco is fastly becoming my favorite Tiger; he just does all the little unoticed things. Tonight is a perfect example.

In the 6th, trying to move runners over, he lays down a bunt so perfect that he actually gets a single out of it. Then after it looks like Ordonez hits into a killer, ending-inning double play, he causes Roberts to throw wildly with a hard slide, causing two runs to score. If his bunt doesn't go for a hit, the inning is already over. If he doesn't bust his ass to break up the double play, those 2 runs never score.

In the 8th, he gets an insurance run with a sacrafice fly.

Finally in the 9th, he makes a diving stop to rob Markakis of a hit, and prevents any rally from potentially starting.

Probably not coincidence that the Tigers' September slide last year started when Polanco went down with a shoulder injury (making a spectacular catch, appropriately enough). Polanco is a ballplayers' ballplayer.

Seriously, who's not to like on this Tiger team? Each and every one of these guys personify what a ballplayer should be.

Seriously, who's not to like on this Tiger team? Each and every one of these guys personify what a ballplayer should be.

Not that i hate him, but even throughout all his late game heroics last season Craig Monroe is still the one Tiger ive never really cared for.

Not that i hate him, but even throughout all his late game heroics last season Craig Monroe is still the one Tiger ive never really cared for.

Monroe is kind of just there, and you always get the feeling the Tigers can do better. But he was out there leading the charge out of the clubhouse to go celebrate on the field with the fans after toppling the Yankees. And he's not spectacular but he's actually pretty consistent - it's fair to say you can pencil him in for 20-25 HR and 85 RBI, which are nice numbers no matter how you slice it. Plus he is a member of the 2003 Club, which I have crazy respect for.

If there's some guys I'm not wild about, it's Perez and Mesa. Newcomers, really.

Yeah, I don't care for Perez or Mesa

Monroe would never be "my Tiger" but we could do worse. He's pretty consistant and isn't going to break the bank.

I just checked ESPN since I was wondering how much the Tigers were paying Monroe. Detroit is now 9th over all in payroll at around 95 mil. We're still 100 mil behind the Yanks.

Salaries are funny. ARod makes more than the entire Devil Rays team.

Home sweet....home?

An account of the "home" game the Indians played against the Angels in Milwaukee. Pretty neat, actually....they had a real crowd on hand (thanks to $10 tickets), the Brewers put out the welcome mat and used the Indians' usual scoreboard stuff which was emailed to them. The Milwaukee fans got behind the Indians all the way. I'll bet that would have been a lot of fun.

Verlander was absolutely filthy tonight. He's pitched 13 scoreless innings so far; that's what I call starting the year off right!

I think Monroe must have read Lou's comments about him; he clearly had something to prove tonight. :)

P.S. Was I the only one surprised when Sheffield didn't even react after Loewen intentionally beaned him? Maybe he's not as crazy as I remember.

Hey Lou, how about that Craig Monroe eh? :P

Only disappointment tonight was Bobby Seely blowing the shutout. Todd Jones should have ended the game to begin with. I sometimes question Leyland with the "experimenting" that he has done so far this year, such as Rodney being used as a closer, and some other little things. No matter, the Tigers still played an excellent game tonight. Great win! :)

Hey Lou, how about that Craig Monroe eh? :P

Only disappointment tonight was Bobby Seely blowing the shutout. Todd Jones should have ended the game to begin with. I sometimes question Leyland with the "experimenting" that he has done so far this year, such as Rodney being used as a closer, and some other little things. No matter, the Tigers still played an excellent game tonight. Great win! :)

Did you watch the whole game or just the end?? Leaving 12 men left on base, swinging at a lot of bad pitches hardly classifies as an "excellent game". What the Tigers did do is win a tight game when it mattered. Its games like these that will add up in October.

Agree with timothy, I don't think the hitters played an excellent game at all. Monroe had a double and the slammer, which was nice, but they left a lot of guys on base overall. The pitchers tossed a gem though.

And this was a perfect display of Leyland's influence on the game. I swear there is magic in his words - twice he came out to visit the mound when the pitchers got in a jam and boom, they came out dealing and snuffed the rally. As the Baltimore announcers pointed out, Leyland doesn't come out there to have a conversation, he's the only one talking. Any other manager, and we lose this game.

P.S. I didn't know Gary Thorne was calling O's games for the local station, when did that happen? :huh:

And this was a perfect display of Leyland's influence on the game. I swear there is magic in his words - twice he came out to visit the mound when the pitchers got in a jam and boom, they came out dealing and snuffed the rally. As the Baltimore announcers pointed out, Leyland doesn't come out there to have a conversation, he's the only one talking. Any other manager, and we lose this game.

I agree. Leyland out on the mood is a momentum killer for the other side. The only other time in sports I have seen that happen locally is with MSU basketball when Izzo calls a time out. Good things happen after the stoppage of play.

Did you watch the whole game or just the end?? Leaving 12 men left on base, swinging at a lot of bad pitches hardly classifies as an "excellent game". What the Tigers did do is win a tight game when it mattered. Its games like these that will add up in October.

Actually, just the end of the game. I was listening to most of the game on the radio, because I was out last night. :P

I got home in I think the 10th inning, or something around that time. So no, I guess my judgement doesn't count for this game, since I didn't watch the game entirely.

Edited by Kp-Wings

P.S. I didn't know Gary Thorne was calling O's games for the local station, when did that happen? :huh:

That's odd.

You know, as much as we hockey fans rag on ESPN, Gary Thorne does a damn good job calling a hockey game. He had Melrose did the Frozen Four and I thought they did a great job.