• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
betterREDthandead

2007 Baseball Season

Rate this topic

I was checking out some stats and found a guy named Ovandy Suero in Class A Lakeland who has, get this, 39 steals in 42 games! Thats almost as many steals as hits! (45) He's also been caught 9 times. I dont think theres a bigger guarantee in all of sports than this guy running whenever he gets on.

I read somewhere that the Tigs and Indians might be interested in Eric Gagne.

I'll pass on Gagne. Here is who we need to get in our lineup...

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...RTS02/706040332

I'm not saying as a closer, but bring him up and move Durbin to the pen. Then when Rogers gets healthy, find a NL team that's willing to deal a couple of bullpen arms for Maroth.

That would add a solid presence you can trust (Durbin) and whatever you could get back for Maroth. Once we get Zumaya back, if Jones isn't right, then move Zumaya to the closers job.

P.S. I think Jones' will bounce back, so my last point will be moot.

I'll pass on Gagne. Here is who we need to get in our lineup...

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...RTS02/706040332

I'm not saying as a closer, but bring him up and move Durbin to the pen. Then when Rogers gets healthy, find a NL team that's willing to deal a couple of bullpen arms for Maroth.

That would add a solid presence you can trust (Durbin) and whatever you could get back for Maroth. Once we get Zumaya back, if Jones isn't right, then move Zumaya to the closers job.

P.S. I think Jones' will bounce back, so my last point will be moot.

The time is right now...call up Miller, move Maroth for the best reliever you can get. The thing is with Durbin, because he's 5-1 right now its really impossible to take him out of the rotation at this point. I feel his record is flukish though as remember, Zach Miner at one point last season was sporting a great record too before reality set it in. I do think inevitably, after he drops some games, he'll make a nice addition to the pen though. But you just cant take him out right now, it doesnt send a good messsage. The team needs that jolt of youth to get a buzz going, the effect that Zumaya and Verlander brought last year. Miller is the guy.

Jose Mesa was released, thus ending the run of what was one of DD's worst and more puzzling signings. We all knew he was crap going in.

I really have to hand it to Dombrowski and the current group of scouts.

Before, you never heard anything about our farm system; it was an absolute joke. Now, we have guys coming from everywhere.

Here is another article on Trahern...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...316/1004/SPORTS

Edited by Airborn

Guest Agalloch

*SHOULD* be an easy sweep of the Rangers. Now that I say that, we'll probably get dominated in all three games.

Seriously though, the Rangers are awful. Tigers lineup + Rangers pitching + Ballpark in Arlington = tons of runs. Can't wait.

WOW AJ f'n Sager! lmao . Just when I thought me and my buddy from work had named off every obscure Tiger in the last 15 years...hes gonna laugh his ass off when i pull this one out.

You know what Trahern sounds like to me? Bullpen help for late in the year. Notice i said late, like what happened with Miller...after he's done down there. Good sinker like this will come in handy with guys on base, if he's up for it mentally.

There was also a snippet in todays paper saying that the Tigers have indeed made Mike Maroth available. If he's pitching against Texas i hope he does ok, because that seems like a very likely destination.

Guest Agalloch

Trahern should be up already. He'd likely do better than nearly everyone in the pen at the moment.

Here's what I'm hoping the team looks like at the end of the year:

CF Curtis Granderson

2B Placido Polanco

DH Gary Sheffield

RF Magglio Ordonez

SS Carlos Guillen

C Ivan Rodriguez

1B Sean Casey

3B Omar Infante

LF Craig Monroe/Marcus Thames platoon

I know Omar will never play at third full time, but I'm the biggest Inge hater I know of. The guy provides nothing at all for the team.

SP Jeremy Bonderman

SP Justin Verlander

SP Kenny Rogers

SP Nate Robertson

SP Andrew Miller

RP Chad Durbin

RP Troy Percival

RP Dallas Trahern

RP Tim Byrdak

RP Fernando Rodney

SU Joel Zumaya

CL Todd Jones

The bullpen is such a wild card. I don't know where to put Ledezma or Seay. Mine only has one lefty as well...

RP Chad Durbin

RP Troy Percival

RP Dallas Trahern

RP Tim Byrdak

RP Fernando Rodney

SU Joel Zumaya

CL Todd Jones

The bullpen is such a wild card. I don't know where to put Ledezma or Seay. Mine only has one lefty as well...

I dont think you should call Trahern up for the pen right now, he's just been doing way too well as a starter. Youre cutting into his development. Do it late in the year when the minors are done and plus rosters are expanded. If we're going to take a chance on an injured guy, I'd rather just throw Maroth at Texas and gamble with Eric Gagne. Yes hes making 6 mill, but what are....50/60 games into the year so far? Thats already 2 mill chopped off that. He's just on a 1 yr contract

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Guest Agalloch

I tried not to include any trades, which is why I didn't have Gagne in there (though I'm greatly in favor of getting him), but I left Maroth off because I definitely believe he needs to be traded. He got off to a good start last year, but he's never been good. He can be a decent fifth starter/innings eater for some team, but not the Tigers.

I agree about Trahern, but I'm getting so fed up with the bullpen right now. It's so goddamn bad. But yeah, that's why I don't like it when people suggest that Miller be called up and put into the pen. It's only going to hurt him in the long run (most likely).

The bullpen seems to be completely wide open at this point. You have all these guys that could potentially be in it at the end:

Chad Durbin

Mike Maroth

Dallas Trahern

Eulogio De La Cruz (probably not though, his control is unbelievably bad)

Fernando Rodney

Troy Percival

Todd Jones

Joel Zumaya

Bobby Seay

Tim Byrdak

Jason Grilli

Zach Miner

Wilfredo Ledezma

Probably forgetting some too. It'll be interesting to see how it ends up at the end. I also think I'm the only one in the world that believes Sean Casey is fine at first base, and that we don't need to upgrade there.

Nope not the only one. Im also fine and dandy with Sean at 1st. Seay and Grilli are the two in the pen that i'd like to see pushed out by Gagne and whoever.

I'm meh about Casey at first. I think he could definitely be upgraded, but first base isn't an issue right now.

Personally, I'd like to see the Tigers at least inquire about Mark Texeria.

As far as Miller, I don't want to see him in the pen. He'd be far better off getting his starts in AA. Leave him in Erie for the rest of the year (unless Bondo or Verlander goes down) and bring him up next year after Kenny's contract is up. Imagine having Bonder, Verlander, and Miller as your top three starters...

Regarding Texeria, everything I've read is suggesting we'd have to move either Maybin or Miller (maybe both) to get him. If that is indeed the case, then I'm not interested. If we could do it without involving those two, I'd be thrilled.

As for Miller, Ideally, I'd like to see Miller get a full year in double A, but I don't think we can afford to wait if Maroth and Robertson continue to struggle. We have a team capable of winning now, and he'd definitely help.

Some way, shape, or form we need to start getting better pitching. At least the bullpen came through tonight.

Edit: Will Leyland take Infante out of the lineup now that everybodys healthy? IMO, he's way too hot to sit.

Edited by Airborn

Yeah, everything I've read involving Tex also involves Miller and/or Maybin. DD has already said Maybin is untouchable during the Soriano talks last year. I don't want the Tigers to give up the farm for Tex, and I don't tihnk the would, but they at least need to explore the option.

Texas said they want an outfielder and young pitcher for Texiera. That outfielder will be 100% be Maybin, so I dont think that deal will happen (nor should it). I remember laughing when someone for the Free Press suggested Thames...yeah like Texas is that stupid.

Wasn't Thames a Texas prospect at one time, or was that Monroe? I know it was one of them.

Actually they both were at one point or another, but Monroe came directly from Texas via waivers.

How about that Draft!!!!

We picked up Rick Porcello, the consensus # 3 player in the draft, with the 27th pick. Apparently, teams were afraid to pick him because of signability conserns (read Scott Boras is his agent).

I think we'll sign him, based on past experience. Even if we don't we'll get compensated with a 1st round pick in next years draft because of the new draft rules.

Here is a write up on him..

3. Rick Porcello RHP, New Jersey HS

Like Wieters, the only thing scaring teams away from Porcello at this point is rumors of his bonus demands -- floated by Boras to exceed $5 million. Still, Porcello is the most talented prep right-hander of this decade, with projectable size matching mid-90s fastball control. Porcello throws three plus-pitches, but in no time he could be the minors' best at the generic four: fastball, curveball, slider and change. He will have growing pains as he adds bulk and changes shape, but without question, he has this draft's highest upside.

Reminds me of: Kevin Millwood at this point, though someone pointed out to me that Porcello bears a few similarities to Don Drysdale.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/base...ules/index.html

The guy on ESPN said Porcello is very similar in size, pitch repertoire, and even mechanics to one Justin Verlander.

Miller time is back! At the expense of Robertson going on the DL with tired arm. Its strange that i havent heard more about that incident in the Tampa Bay game where he appeared to tweak something in his back possibly. He stayed in the game, but i noticed right away his velocity had dropped a little. I wonder if that has something to do with it, cause he started getting hit after that and has been since.

What I really like about Porcello is that he's bringing a consistent 94-95mph fastball at a 6'5 188lb frame. Put a little weight on and he could be slinging upper 90's. Same thing that happened with Zumaya.