• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
betterREDthandead

2007 Baseball Season

Rate this topic

That's odd.

You know, as much as we hockey fans rag on ESPN, Gary Thorne does a damn good job calling a hockey game. He had Melrose did the Frozen Four and I thought they did a great job.

I love Thorne for hockey. I think he's a good announcer all around, but hockey's his best sport. He sounds most comfortable there.

Leaving 12 men left on base, swinging at a lot of bad pitches hardly classifies as an "excellent game".

Timothy, you bring up a point dear to my heart. Our plate discipline was pretty good the first couple games; since then it's been crap.

In the Baltimore series, we struck out 28 times over three games.

When Monroe struck out with the bases loaded, the O's pitcher only threw 1 strike in the entire sequence. Inge is a mess, and even Sheffield is swinging at bad pitches. I had hoped with all the emphasis on this topic in the offseason that we'd see some improvement.

I'm not panicking yet, because I think guys like Sheffield and Inge are going to improve as the season goes on. Plus, pitching always seems to have the advantage early, and then hitters eventually catch up.

Hey Lou, how about that Craig Monroe eh? :P

Still feel exactly the same! Baseball is 162 games, so he comes through in a few games here and there, but what about all the other games where he does absolutely nothing? I dont find Mr C-Mo to be very consistent, thats my problem. Im not saying he sucks, but for a corner outfielder he's really not much above being run of the mill. Personally, I cant wait for Granderson to slide over to his spot next season while Maybin takes center. Now, if only we could find a way to do something with Maggs in right and give Clevlen a crack rather than inevitably trading him. Talk about an athletic outfield..

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Still feel exactly the same! Baseball is 162 games, so he comes through in a few games here and there, but what about all the other games where he does absolutely nothing? I dont find Mr C-Mo to be very consistent, thats my problem. Im not saying he sucks, but for a corner outfielder he's really not much above being run of the mill. Personally, I cant wait for Granderson to slide over to his spot next season while Maybin takes center. Now, if only we could find a way to do something with Maggs in right and give Clevlen a crack rather than inevitably trading him. Talk about an athletic outfield..

The problem with that is Sheffield. I had been hoping that in a year or so they'd make Maggs the DH and have a Grandy/Maybin/Clevlen outfield. But since we're stuck with Sheffield for another 2-3 years (can't remember) that forces Maggs in RF since he certainly can't be wasted on the bench.

The problem with that is Sheffield. I had been hoping that in a year or so they'd make Maggs the DH and have a Grandy/Maybin/Clevlen outfield. But since we're stuck with Sheffield for another 2-3 years (can't remember) that forces Maggs in RF since he certainly can't be wasted on the bench.

Yep. Thats the major reason i wasnt too happy with the Sheffield trade and subsequent extension. You'll never be able to move Maggs, and you cant just leave Clevlen rotting in the minors forever. And it doesnt make sense from a value standpoint to have Clevlen as your 4th outfielder sitting on the bench everyday. It'll be a shame to trade him, but what can you do...other than trade Granderson instead.

I'm still digesting how we lost this one tonight. Three infield hits, in the bottom of the 10th inning? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before.

Yep. Thats the major reason i wasnt too happy with the Sheffield trade and subsequent extension. You'll never be able to move Maggs, and you cant just leave Clevlen rotting in the minors forever. And it doesnt make sense from a value standpoint to have Clevlen as your 4th outfielder sitting on the bench everyday. It'll be a shame to trade him, but what can you do...other than trade Granderson instead.

Tigers were willing to do that with Thames. Not saying that the logjam is such a great thing, but if they did it with Thames they'll probably have no problems doing it with Clevlen too.

Tigers were willing to do that with Thames. Not saying that the logjam is such a great thing, but if they did it with Thames they'll probably have no problems doing it with Clevlen too.

Yeah but theres a huge difference and doing that with Thames and doing the same with Clevlen. Clevlen is alot younger and has alot of potential. Thames has been around the block and back a number of times. Having him sit there as your 4th outfielder makes no sense imo, he hasnt done a whole lot in the minors but from the flashes he's shown on the Tigs, he's definitely one of there top 3 or 4 tradeable commodities. You have to do something with a guy like that, either play him or trade him. To have him just sit there and waste away isnt good management.

I love Thorne for hockey. I think he's a good announcer all around, but hockey's his best sport. He sounds most comfortable there.

I've always thought he sounded uncomfortable doing hockey, and was ne of the better baseball announcers around. He has pretty extensive knowledge of the game, which he does not have when it comes to hockey.

I had no idea Jeff Weaver (AJ Burnett) pitched for the Jays.

I checked the Hens stats and saw no Tata. Hmmm...injury?

Yeah, he's injured.

INJURED HURLER: Jordan Tata, the right-hander who opened last season on the Tigers' 25-man roster, is on the disabled list at Triple-A Toledo with soreness in his right shoulder. It's not known when he will pitch again.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID...424/1050/SPORTS

Rob "The Hater" Parker is back at it. Today's News has a column by him calling Hank Aaron a coward. Why? Cause Aaron doesn't want to comment on Barry Bonds and his chase for the record. Rather than take one side ("Yay Barry") or the other ("Cheating bastard"), Aaron would prefer to stay out of the spotlight and live a fairly private life, which is what he's done for the past 30 years since retiring from baseball.

Aaron got daily hate mail during the home run chase. More so than Bonds. Aaron got called n****r, jungle bunny, jigaboo, and every other horrible thing you can call a black person, in every stadium he went to and every time he opened up his mail. What Aaron did was similar to what Jackie Robinson did and no less momentous, in my book. And Hater Parker can do nothing but sit in his ivory tower and sling insults at the man. What a bastard.

If Rob Parker died, would anyone notice? :D

I'm sorry if I sound like an insensitive bastard, but seriously. Rob Parker is such a s***bag. He contributes nothing to society except hating all things in sports. Of course, if he didn't shoot insults at people you'd think something is wrong. It's kinda just become an everyday thing. :P

Im thinking we, as devoted Tiger fans, should take some initiative like the Bernie t-shirt people and send Sheffield a steroid package.

All we will write on it is "Take daily"...and thats it. No name of the product or anything. Then if he gets caught he can claim he didnt know what he was taking. Anyone in?! :D

Rob "The Hater" Parker is back at it. Today's News has a column by him calling Hank Aaron a coward. Why?

I saw this and had basically the same reaction.

Parker is one of a growing breed of sportswriters who write for "shock" value. They do nothing to make sports more fun to watch or pay attention to (which is silly because isn't that the whole point), rather they write simply to get a response out of you.

I don't know what to do other than to ignore everything he writes, but occasionally I get suckered in as I did on this occasion.