• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

Wings acquire Kyle Calder in 3-way deal

Rate this topic

disagree. we having nothing more to trade. Holland knows to spare as much youth as possible

to avoid rebuilding the team from the scratch soon. we can't allow to trade our youth now,

and there's only players like injured Sammy whom we could possibly trade. and he doesn't

have that significant trade value

i disagree, i can still see a trade for a prospect and a pick

Contract dump for money to keep Pavel next year. The players are pretty much equal and Kenny saw a way to free up some cap space. He may be Williams 2.0 but we are not on the hook for Williams salary next year. Good trade.

Another positive about this trade...

We don't have to see Williams half-speed shootout attempts any more.

Watch tomorrow's game go to one and he actually gets a shootout goal on us!!!

If there's anything Jason Williams was good at, it was the shootout. I'm not saying I wanted him on this team or anything, but you've got to give credit where credit is due.

Guys, this trade was purely a contract dump.

Williams wasn't getting it done here. We got his roster spot and salary off the books for next year and we've rid ourselves of his awful play this year. Calder won't be worse.

This won't be the last move Holland makes. Bank on it.

I'm not positive Holland will make another move, but otherwise you're exactly right.

This deal was a contract dump. That's it.

That's not what I meant.

If the Red Wings don't want to pay Jason Williams his 1.6 million next season, then they could just dump him for a pick at the season's end. I just don't understand why you'd ship him out now for a player who brings no more to the table, when Williams is a tradeable asset for someone who could actually help this team for a playoff run.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I dont really know, except that the opportunity was there, and Mr. Holland took it.

You think THIS was the move the Wings have been waiting for? I highly doubt it. I'd be shocked if Holland didn't do something else.

nope. I definitely don't think this is any major move and not one to be

overly excited about nor to expect too much from this years playoff run.

my point is, this could be about all Holland is able to do considering

the prices. you saw what it takes to get a player like Floppa, Tkachuk

or even Rivet. this is simply not what Holland can afford now. period

I don't think this was a trade that had anything to do with the Cup run really (unless there's more in the works).

It's about cutting Williams loose and getting rid of his contract for next year.

And can you show me exactly where Holland promised a top 6 forward for the Cup run?

Cutting loose his contract was a good idea, but i still don't like this move, it's nothing more then a shake up...unless this will lead to something bigger by tomorrows deadline....as for holland promising a top 6 forward, it was in an article, either the free press or detroit news, can't remember which one....that was about a month or so ago....

I agree with you on the salary dump, but i was also hoping for something to improve the wings.... :thumbup:

What's with all the negativity? The way I see it, Calder just went from the outhouse to the penthouse, he'll be motivated to play now that he has a new lease on his career. We all wanted Williams traded, and he wasn't going to garner much interest outside of a 2nd or 3rd line player. The possibility remains still of getting a big name, Lang/Hudler are still on the roster and the Wings didn't lose any draft picks or prospects.

St Louis said they want a 2nd rounder and a prospect for Mayers... :crazy:

That is kinda high, but theres plenty of guys out there though. Doesnt have to be Mayers..

I'm glad Williams is gone. This is clearly a contract situation as many have stated. I do not think Holland is done. Am I the only one who think he has tricks up his sleeve?

I think he's gonna pull something off that non of us will expect. I don't think we will land the obvious Guerin or Bertuzzi..guys like that. Either way, I have faith in Holland. He'll do the right thing..not the stupid thing like get a rental for his whole bank account.

Calder....Not a bad move......dependable, energy type player.....

Guerrin and Laroque being reported on Van radio going to the Wings...but that is pure speculation...they are too busy planning the parade route given their great pick ups....

YES!!!!!!!

If this is true, I can sleep well tonight. Calder who?????

You vastly overrate Williams' worth if you think he could bring in much of anything else.

Chicago seemed to think he was worth something, no? And they made the deal straight up. I'm certainly not suggesting Williams would help us land Bill Guerin, but packaged with a couple picks, why couldn't he be swapped for a tough fourth liner that would help this team?

What's with all the negativity? The way I see it, Calder just went from the outhouse to the penthouse, he'll be motivated to play now that he has a new lease on his career. We all wanted Williams traded, and he wasn't going to garner much interest outside of a 2nd or 3rd line player. The possibility remains still of getting a big name, Lang/Hudler are still on the roster and the Wings didn't lose any draft picks or prospects.

Agreed. :thumbup:

Calder makes 2.95 million this year and is a free agent at the end of the year Williams makes 1.6 million this year and next year...its only a contract dump for this year, it actually makes it harder to acquire a Guerin type player because we now have LESS room under the cap

What's with all the negativity? The way I see it, Calder just went from the outhouse to the penthouse

Seriously, could you imagine going from the flyers, like the worse team in the league, to the WIngs, one of the best in the NHL?

Chicago seemed to think he was worth something, no? And they made the deal straight up. I'm certainly not suggesting Williams would help us land Bill Guerin, but packaged with a couple picks, why couldn't he be swapped for a tough fourth liner that would help this team?

because our main concern as of now is (hopefully: was) total lack of production from second line. we can possibly live without additional toughness but won't survive a single playoff series with just one scoring line. which is in addtion rather simple to stop, at least judging by recent playoff trips.

the move is smart somehow

Calder makes 2.95 million this year and is a free agent at the end of the year Williams makes 1.6 million this year and next year...its only a contract dump for this year, it actually makes it harder to acquire a Guerin type player because we now have LESS room under the cap

Maybe that contract is more enticing to another team looking to free some $$$ for next year??

Just speculating.

Calder is Williams but older and with a horrible +/-, and he is more money...I guess this means either Hudler or Filpulla will be 2nd liners next year though and the 1.6 to Williams will go to Datsyuk...seems like this move was made for next year and not this year...because we are now Less room under the cap so it seems like another 2nd tier player will come here, although I think Calder is more like a 3rd tier unless he can recapture last years magic...

Heres hoping he can and I'll admit I'm wrong