• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DetroitIan

The Official: 2007 Detroit Lions Season Thread

Rate this topic

I don't want to be a devil's advocate here, but the Lions have been ridiculously good at taking advantage of the deficiencies of the teams they've faced (which good teams do, mind you.)

The BIG tests of this season are yet to come. That's a pretty tough 2nd half schedule.

I don't want to be a devil's advocate here, but the Lions have been ridiculously good at taking advantage of the deficiencies of the teams they've faced (which good teams do, mind you.)

The BIG tests of this season are yet to come. That's a pretty tough 2nd half schedule.

Don't bring me down man! I get to feel good about Lions once a decade....which means twice in my lifetime so far.

drink the kool-aid like everyone else.

Rod Marinelli is a genius *sip* Matt Millen is a God *another sip* Lions are going to the playoffs *Bigger sip*

Mad props to the end zone sections for making mad noise. It had to play a factor in the missed FG. Seemed like when the Marine was honored and the Lions pinned the Broncos near their goal line, the crowd got really into it. Then White got that fumble recovery TD. That blew the game open.

Guest RedWingsFever

The offense looked great. The defense looked great. Everything seamed to click for the Lions. What a great win over a Broncos team that usually plays pretty well at home. I believe the announcers said something along the lines of "worst home defeat for the Broncos since 1960." Love hearing that. These Lions are not the 2006 Lions. If you underestimate this team, you're gonna get smoked. Just like Denver did. Great to be 6-2. We prolly would be atop the division. But the Packers just keep barely squeeking by each week. I cant WAIT for the the Thanksgiving day game. Heck, we usually play good on Thanksgiving anyways. But now we actually have a football team this year. Gonna be a great day.

After seeing how that game turned out, I shall now proceed to predict the rest of the Lions' season:

Broncos 47, Lions 0

Lions 6, Cardinals 27

Giants 38, Lions 0

Packers 60, Lions 2

Vikings 14, Lions 3

Cowboys 45, Lions 9

Chargers 58, Lions 7 (first touchdown since Chicago)

Kansas City 10, Lions 0

Packers 88, Lions -2 (don't ask me to explain that one, it's complicated).

Can't wait to see if the rest of your predictions will be correct.

I think we will find out the most about the lions in these next 5 games. They have 2 very winable games on the road in Arizona and Minnesota plus tough games against the NFC East best in Gianta and Cowboys at home, plus turkey day against the top team in the NFC North in the Packers. I am not gonna make any predictions on these games, just that as of right now, I don't expect the Lions to make the playoffs..but after these next 5 games, that will change if they play well. It will be fun to find out tho.

Guest jaytan

I want to believe this now, but I'm still having trouble getting over the fact that Shaun Rogers didn't die on the field after that run.

Guest RedWingsFever

I want to believe this now, but I'm still having trouble getting over the fact that Shaun Rogers didn't die on the field after that run.

The best part of that run was when Rogers basically threw Selvin Young(who was trying to tackle Rogers) to the ground like it was nothing. hahaha

Guest jaytan

You know, I'm not ready to consider the Lions serious contenders yet (because once I do, they'll prove me wrong for sure), but I like the second-half schedule. They've already pulled out two road wins and haven't been beaten at home yet, which is a good sign, and I love that they've gotten both Chicago games out of the way and have a 3-0 divisional record thus far.

The reason I like the relatively tough schedule the rest of the way is that if this team is actually good and able to make the playoffs, what better preparation could you ask for? On top of that, they totally control their own destiny with two games against Green Bay at fantastic dates. Thanksgiving could be huge, and if they're a game out in Week 17, they'll have a chance to beat the one team most likely in their way.

You know, I'm not ready to consider the Lions serious contenders yet (because once I do, they'll prove me wrong for sure), but I like the second-half schedule. They've already pulled out two road wins and haven't been beaten at home yet, which is a good sign, and I love that they've gotten both Chicago games out of the way and have a 3-0 divisional record thus far.

The reason I like the relatively tough schedule the rest of the way is that if this team is actually good and able to make the playoffs, what better preparation could you ask for? On top of that, they totally control their own destiny with two games against Green Bay at fantastic dates. Thanksgiving could be huge, and if they're a game out in Week 17, they'll have a chance to beat the one team most likely in their way.

I like the direction this team is going, but I am not ready to use the playoff word yet on this team. A post earlier i did said that these next 5 games will be huge in finding out if the lions are bologna or filet.

Guest jaytan

Thing is, there's a good chance they'd be playoff eligible with just two more wins this season. The NFC's a bit weak this year, and 8-8 might do it.

Thing is, there's a good chance they'd be playoff eligible with just two more wins this season. The NFC's a bit weak this year, and 8-8 might do it.

absolutely. It's there for the taking. Also available for a lot of other teams as well. New Orleans is looking strong lately and they are on the outside looking in, but thats the only team on the outside that is even resembling a playoff team. I hope the Washington game doesn't bite us in the ass later on.

At the start of the year, I thought that 8-8 might get an NFC team into the playoffs, but I don't think that's going to be the case now--at least not as a Wild Card.

Assuming that all the teams currently leading their division will get in (which is just to make a point, things can obviously change) you would have Dallas, Green Bay, Tampa Bay and Seattle in the playoffs. Then the Wild Card standings would look like this, with the top 2 getting in the playoffs:

NYG: 6-2

Detroit: 6-2

Washington: 5-3

Carolina: 4-4

New Orleans: 4-4

I find it very hard to believe that 8-8 is all that it will take to get into the playoffs as a wild card. Carolina is probably going to go into a downward spiral with the loss of Delhomme, but New Orleans is on fire. I'd be very, very surprised if they don't have a winning record in the second half. You'd have to have 3 of the following 4 happen for the Lions to be able to get in at 8-8: New Orleans and Carolina be .500 or worse, Washington go 2-6 (they hold the head-to-head tiebreaker with the Lions), the Giants go 2-6 or worse (I guess this would be 3-5 or worse if the Lions beat them). I don't see an 8-8 wild card team in the NFC. Division winner? Maybe, since the NFC West really, really sucks.

Either way, I don't think it matters. The Lions, though playing a fairly tough schedule in the second half, will go better than 2-6 down the stretch. I don't think they're a great team, but they're a playoff team. I don't think NYG is worthy of all the hype (look who they played the last 4 games). New Orleans is the team I'm worried about and I really don't want to see them end up in the playoffs--it might be tough for them to get the wildcard, but they're just a half game out of first place in their division. I fully expect them to come out on top in the NFC South.

At the start of the year, I thought that 8-8 might get an NFC team into the playoffs, but I don't think that's going to be the case now--at least not as a Wild Card.

Assuming that all the teams currently leading their division will get in (which is just to make a point, things can obviously change) you would have Dallas, Green Bay, Tampa Bay and Seattle in the playoffs. Then the Wild Card standings would look like this, with the top 2 getting in the playoffs:

NYG: 6-2

Detroit: 6-2

Washington: 5-3

Carolina: 4-4

New Orleans: 4-4

I find it very hard to believe that 8-8 is all that it will take to get into the playoffs as a wild card. Carolina is probably going to go into a downward spiral with the loss of Delhomme, but New Orleans is on fire. I'd be very, very surprised if they don't have a winning record in the second half. You'd have to have 3 of the following 4 happen for the Lions to be able to get in at 8-8: New Orleans and Carolina be .500 or worse, Washington go 2-6 (they hold the head-to-head tiebreaker with the Lions), the Giants go 2-6 or worse (I guess this would be 3-5 or worse if the Lions beat them). I don't see an 8-8 wild card team in the NFC. Division winner? Maybe, since the NFC West really, really sucks.

Either way, I don't think it matters. The Lions, though playing a fairly tough schedule in the second half, will go better than 2-6 down the stretch. I don't think they're a great team, but they're a playoff team. I don't think NYG is worthy of all the hype (look who they played the last 4 games). New Orleans is the team I'm worried about and I really don't want to see them end up in the playoffs--it might be tough for them to get the wildcard, but they're just a half game out of first place in their division. I fully expect them to come out on top in the NFC South.

I agree. I honestly see the ending for those teams being something like this

Giants 10-6

Detroit 9-7

Washington 8-8

Tampa 8-8

Carolina 7-9

I think New Orleans overtakes the NFC South and the NFC west doesn't reeally matter. Only the divison winner should make the playoffs there.

Guest jaytan

I don't see Chicago or Minnesota threatening the Lions, and like you said, all the Wild Card threats are likely to be out of the East. All they need to do is be better than two of the teams in the East.

I see it:

Div winners:

Green Bay 12-4

Dallas 11-5

Seattle 8-8

New Orleans 9-7

Wildcard:

Detroit 10-6 (we lose the division the last week at Lambeau)

Washington 9-7

Giants fade off in the 2nd half, starting with a loss to us...Coughlin fired at the end of the year of course!

Theres that homer part in me that likes the Lions to win the division, but im going to stick with that '06 Tigers aura...they follow the wildcard course.

Detroit over Seattle

Washington over New Orleans

Detroit over Dallas

Washington over Green Bay

Detroit over Washington

Not that i really like the Skins that much, i wouldnt even be surprised if they missed the playoffs. But again, kinda going with that Tigers theme! Washington would be the Oakland....giving us a home game for the fans to go crazy.

Guest jaytan

Careful, now. That's jinx-talk right there.

I wouldn't mind revenge against the Skins for '91, though.

Could the Lions have the best wide receiving core in the entire NFL?

Furrey, Macdonald, Williams, Johnson, and Walters... come on now!

new england comes close with moss, stallworth, welker.

I think Detroit could use a receiving TE. Someone along the like of Witten, Crumpler to add to the mix.