• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheCaptain19

Malkin

Rate this topic

There is no doubt that Crosby and Malkin weren't use to being hit so often. Datsyuk alone had like 6 hits mostly on Malkin or Crosby (I don't have the exact stat, but I was following the stats on nhl.com through the game).

They're going to have to dump and fight for it at the boards. It's not philly where crosby and malkin can skate circles around a bunch of bruisers anymore :) And those centering passes that were so effective for them so far, aren't going to get through guys like lidstrom, rafalski, dats and zett like I'm sure they're use to.

If Pittsburg had maintained their first period speed and puck transition all through the game, it would be a different story. I was a little nervous in the opening moments of the game because they looked incredibly fast and hungry. I thought for sure I was going to see 20 scoring chances from them by the end of the game. I think once Detroit realized 1) Hey, they're carrying the puck in every single time, and 2) They're not pressuring our blue line at all....that was when things shifted.

I think NHL.com steals my analysis half the time :)

"In order to get past Detroit's smothering defense, the Pens may have to change their tactics. Pittsburgh paid the price for its inability to get the puck deep into the Detroit zone and forecheck – Samuelsson's first goal came after Jarkko Ruutu turned the puck over in the neutral zone rather than dump it in."

""Yes, I think so. I think we have a lot of speed," he (crosby) added when asked whether the Pens needed to chip and chase more often in Game 2."

"Detroit, not known as a physical team, out-hit the Penguins 31-25 – a rarity for a team that also controls the puck. The hitting appeared to take a toll on the Penguins, who were buzzing in the first period but seemed to play with diminished vigor as the game went on"

All due respect to the Penguins fans here. In truth you're overall some of the more cordial, and reasonable fans I've seen on Redwings boards in a while. Nothing like the Avs fans of old who had roughly the intellect of a peanut.

But flu, injury, and all of the other trivial excuses don't mean a whole lot. A cup team needs to be able to play through these things. I highly doubt Malkin is the only player to have the flu in the finals, and I'm sure plenty of teams with the flu have gone on to win cups. They have the best doctors and medicine money can buy. As far as injury....I've never seen a team make it to the finals without an injury. The question there is always, "Can the team still win, missing this guy?" In Detrtoit's case we're missing our best goal scorer of the playoffs. The slack just gets picked up elsewhere.

I'm going to avoid the slanderous "crybaby" comments, since those are a bit immature from our end....but realistically the ability to play through adversity and setbacks is a defining characteristic of a stanley cup team.

As Wings fans a lot of us have seen a lot of adversity through the years. Not a single cup was easily won. Not a single playoffs went without injury. And more often than not when we lost, our adversity got the best of us, and we failed to adapt. I been watching the Wings in the playoffs since 1995, back during that first heartbreaking finals loss to Jersey. We had the best record in the NHL, and were HEAVY favorites that year. The news reporters claimed we were practically invincible. Then....we got swept in four games flat.

In 97 Philly was the favorite, and Detroit was injury prone. The news said they were simply too big, and too skilled on their offense for Detroit to win. We swept them in four games straight.

There's a lot more to it than flu's, injury, speed, talent, skill, goaltending, defense....etc. Even heart and hunger doesn't get a lot of teams through the playoffs. I once almost saw us lose a series to Colorado because a puck bounced off a board that had come out of place, and went in the net. We were down 3-2 in that series as the result of that goal. We barely won game 6. Game 7 was what we call the "Statue of liberty goal" in Detroit, because Roy saved it, raised his hands high in the air to show he saved it, and it trickled from his glove into the net. Granted, we scored 7 goals for a blowout that game...4 in the first period alone.

But in that event......a board one inch out of place caused a funny bounce that lost us a game, and nearly the series.

So the details....are really just details :) It's the overall picture that matters, and unless the entire team has the flu, I don't think things like the flu make much difference at all.

Good luck on game 2. I expect it to be a much closer game.

The flu can last up to three weeks, especially if you're playing a highly energy demanding game / practice. Roberts had the flu for 2 weeks not too long ago, and he's a health food nut.

That makes sense. Where they are in the playoffs, Malkin can't take time to rest properly. If he got it in the offseason it probably would clear up in 3-4 days tops, but in the playoffs, it could last weeks.

It wasn't just all Malkin that ran out of gas, it was the whole team.

Pretty much. Lets say, benefit of the doubt, malkin was sick and injured.

He wasn't the only one out of gas out there. Hossa was the best forward I noticed, and Crosby was mostly out of gas too. Fluery obviously did well. Even with 4 goals agains.....it took 36 shots on goal, and about double that many shots at the net, to get that done. Fluery is the main reason it wasn't 4 nothing by the end of the second.

I hate saying that because it sounds like I'm talking s***, when in fact Pittsburg is my second favorite team to Detroit. But, that's what I saw out there.

Playing over your head for half a season, and then in the playoffs, can take alot out of you. I dont expect him to factor in any of the games in Detroit, but if Pittsburgh can get him away from Draper/Zetterberg then he might do something. I'm not a fan of Malkin, he seems to be a really lazy player from what I've seen of him this year. Reminds me of a more skilled, and a little faster Yashin, but I will give him that he plays with alot of heart when he's going.

My thoughts on game one are exactly what I thought going in. If speaking of raw ability, I don't think Detroit was really any better than Pittsburgh. Game one, to me, was clearly a more experienced team playing an inexperienced one. At least 3 of the Wings goals were the result of simple mental breakdowns.

Malkin and Crosby? I thought Crosby played a pretty good game, he created quite a few good chances actually and I thought he was pretty physical out there. I thought he outmuscled Lidstrom on the boards a couple times. Malkin on the other hand, I thought he was pretty invisible. He hasn't seemed to have much of an impact since about the second period of game 1 against Philly. I wonder if he hurt his back on that Richards hit? I'm not sure if he's hurt, I think he looks like he's inexperienced, doesn't like getting hurt and probably tired. He did run out of gas last year, wonder if he's run out again.

crosby has actually been taking the hits and physical play towards him pretty well, more than he has in the past, bouncing from checks instead of flopping/embellishing. at least he's showing determination and giving his all unlike malkin who's just laboring around on the ice.

He's not out of gas. 'He has no runway to take off' would be a better analogy, because the moment he or Crosby gets the puck theres absolutely no where our team allows them to go.

The Wings did a spectacular job of suffocating the Pens last night; Malkin and Crosby in particular.

Seconded... but would like to add that last nights game could've also been 6-5.

The flu can last up to three weeks, especially if you're playing a highly energy demanding game / practice. Roberts had the flu for 2 weeks not too long ago, and he's a health food nut.

Malkin's last week was not exactly "demanding" especially if he was sick, and Roberts is damn near 40. Not the same as 22 or whatever Malkin is. Sorry, but if Malkin had the flu 7 days ago, it's not even remotely an excuse now IN THE STANLEY CUP FINALS.

"Not comfortable there [on the point during powerplays]," Malkin said prior to the Stanley Cup final, adding that Detroit's proficiency at generating shorthanded chances "worried (him)."

The Wings are in his head before the series even began. That is how inexperience will take its toll.

The problem with Malkin is that he's young and cocky. He'll get riled very easily, he gets frustrated... he's a lock for runner-up for the Hart, but he is overrated. Consider his FO% this season -- under 40% and almost 1,000 draws taken. It's always a subjective stat, but his giveaways to takeaways ratio isn't superb, and I'll tell you why: he'll try his Russian dangle the whole way through the neutral zone, and he gets beat. Not always, and I love that he's creative, it's great to watch, but guys take the body in the neutral zone and Evgeni can cough up the puck at inopportune times because he tries to get too fancy when he shouldn't.

Datsyuk has 76 more takeaways than giveaways. Malkin is -7 in that regard. Datsyuk 54.4% of 833 faceoffs. 39.3% of 890 for Malkin. Datsyuk +41. Malkin +16. Malkin is a high-class talent but still rough around the edges. Datsyuk wasn't even in the league at a comparable age to Malkin.

That's what I said about him May 20th.

I've seen Malkin as much as anyone on this board, with the exception of a few Penguins fans. I moved from Michigan to western Pennsylvania, so the local hockey was the Penguins for the last several years. I went to quite a few Penguins games last year, and that's my analysis. Great offensive talent, but reckless -- oh, and streaky. I don't think he's going through anything phenomenally different than anyone else. He's just a streaky guy, a bit lazy too -- think Robert Lang, only better, younger, flashier, and maybe throw in a mean streak.

Edited by Anomalously

He should really take tomorrow night off - :violin:

After a game 1 loss, he can't. He will never get a night off in the finals. Half a Malkin is better than no Malkin. He still has the "opportunity" to score big.....and that's what they need him for now.

This isn't game 67 of the season. You can't sit your top guys when they get tired.

If it was that simple, nobody would ever win a stanley cup. "Tired", simply means he's been carrying the team too heavily, and working too hard. Hence Pittsburghs success partially. A stanley cup team has to learn to rest guys daily, be it with shorter shifts when ahead, or games off during the run. You play a guy every game, relying on him every game....of course he gets tired. Hence, why teams who lack depth lose in the playoffs.

Not saying pittsburgh lacks depth. Don't take this that way. I am saying.....maybe they burned out their top guys trying to push so hard to the finals. Maybe that spectacular run......has destroyed the energy of the guys who did it? At least, to some extent.

That is a coaching flaw if anything. To no recognize your guys need a rest when you're up 3-0 in a series, is dumb.

Chelious sat out game 1. He's not injured. he's not sick. He's just.....well a little bit old, and needed a little extra rest. Franzen sat out an entire series. He's certainly not old, and was having the time of his life. But he still sat out.

It's possible, that pittsburg ran it's top guys into the ground. Detroit rotated all playoffs long. Even starting with one goaltender, and ending with another. Pittsburg hasn't been in the finals since the early 90's.

Maybe too much of a push, too quick, too soon....if game 2 is the same as game 1......I'd say blame it on the leadership at that point. You can't play your top guys all finals long :) Duh. Some guys are marathon men and can do it....but rookies who have never gone that far? No way. No chance.

I remember joining the army when I was 25. I could run with the best of them. I would outrun 18 year olds all day long.....for a day. But then it would get to me. By day 3, I was lagging. By day 5, I could barely run at all. Too much, too fast.....will kill ya.

I'm not saying that is what happened here....but it is a theory.

He should really take tomorrow night off - :violin:

Yeah, he's whining... :rolleyes:

Having to take over a team in his second year after Crosby (our best player), Fleury (our starting goaltender), Eaton (our best defenseman), Talbot, and Roberts went down to injury's, is quite a task for any player. Not to mention, there was no Hossa at the time either.

This guy single handedly took Pittsburgh to the playoffs with mediocre players. He's simply burned out. But, I know he's going to give all he has left this series.

Edited by Pensfan

After a game 1 loss, he can't. He will never get a night off in the finals. Half a Malkin is better than no Malkin. He still has the "opportunity" to score big.....and that's what they need him for now.

This isn't game 67 of the season. You can't sit your top guys when they get tired.

If it was that simple, nobody would ever win a stanley cup. "Tired", simply means he's been carrying the team too heavily, and working too hard. Hence Pittsburghs success partially. A stanley cup team has to learn to rest guys daily, be it with shorter shifts when ahead, or games off during the run. You play a guy every game, relying on him every game....of course he gets tired. Hence, why teams who lack depth lose in the playoffs.

Not saying pittsburgh lacks depth. Don't take this that way. I am saying.....maybe they burned out their top guys trying to push so hard to the finals. Maybe that spectacular run......has destroyed the energy of the guys who did it? At least, to some extent.

That is a coaching flaw if anything. To no recognize your guys need a rest when you're up 3-0 in a series, is dumb.

Chelious sat out game 1. He's not injured. he's not sick. He's just.....well a little bit old, and needed a little extra rest. Franzen sat out an entire series. He's certainly not old, and was having the time of his life. But he still sat out.

It's possible, that pittsburg ran it's top guys into the ground. Detroit rotated all playoffs long. Even starting with one goaltender, and ending with another. Pittsburg hasn't been in the finals since the early 90's.

Maybe too much of a push, too quick, too soon....if game 2 is the same as game 1......I'd say blame it on the leadership at that point. You can't play your top guys all finals long :) Duh. Some guys are marathon men and can do it....but rookies who have never gone that far? No way. No chance.

I remember joining the army when I was 25. I could run with the best of them. I would outrun 18 year olds all day long.....for a day. But then it would get to me. By day 3, I was lagging. By day 5, I could barely run at all. Too much, too fast.....will kill ya.

I'm not saying that is what happened here....but it is a theory.

Excellent post, as always. Made me think though, how the the Red Wings players can make it look like it's the season opener (energy-wise) every single game. They've even played two more games than Pens so far in the playoffs. Still everyone's got fire both in their legs and eyes, playing like there's no tomorrow. You kind of answered it but still, it amazes me even more put into this kind of perspective.

I wouldn't count Malkin out just yet though. He might be in his "uphill" mode now physically and mentally -- and that's where we want to keep him -- but if the pucks suddenly bounces his way, he gets to score a nice one on a breakaway or put someone down with a hit, he can reignite I promise.

Edited by Wingman

Excellent post, as always. Made me think though, how the the Red Wings players can make it look like it's the season opener (energy-wise) every single game. They've even played two more games than Pens so far in the playoffs. Still everyone's got fire both in their legs and eyes, playing like there's no tomorrow. You kind of answered it but still, it amazes me even more put into this kind of perspective.

I wouldn't count Malkin out just yet though. He might be in his "uphill" mode now physically and mentally -- and that's where we want to keep him -- but if the pucks suddenly bounces his way, he gets to score a nice one on a breakaway or put someone down with a hit, he can reignite I promise.

I would credit Babcock for this, i've seen quotes from the players about how hard the training sessions are. I think the Red Wings are fitter, simply put. And that has a lot about how babcock want's his team..

I personally think they had too much time off. Malkin is a high energy player that carries his dominate play of one game into another. He was just not ready (mentally) to face the Wings tonight, plain and simple.

I just love that excuse, so now at least you have a scapegoat if the redwings win the cup. "The penguins had too much time off, most of their heads were allready on vacation."