• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cicada

Marian Hossa a Red Wing, 1yr, $7.45m

Rate this topic

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

Hossa gambles on a different type of greed

July 2, 2008 at 3:48 PM EDT

A day after three dozen or so of his peers went chasing after the most dollars they could possibly grab, Marian Hossa left tens of millions on the table Tuesday to sign a modest one-year, $7.4 million deal with the Detroit Red Wings.

Hossa was being greedy all right — but not in the conventional sense of the term. At the age of 29 and 10 years into his NHL career, Hossa was greedy for a Stanley Cup — and figured his best chance to win one was to go to the defending champions. Hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em — and Hossa had a front-row seat for the Red Wings' celebration. That happened on a steamy night in Pittsburgh in early June. Hossa was playing for the opposition, the Penguins, and they pushed the Red Wings to six games, before finally losing. Hossa actually had one last gasp chance to push the game into overtime, but just missed as time ran off the clock.

Hossa was duly impressed with what he saw — and the feeling on the Red Wings' side was mutual. Hossa finished the playoffs third in playoff scoring with 26 points in 20 games, one behind the co-leaders, Sidney Crosby and Henrik Zetterberg, and he was the most productive Penguins forward in the final.

Pittsburgh offered a reasonable chance of winning again — he gave that option some consideration. Other teams, notably the Edmonton Oilers, were prepared to offer significantly higher dollars and term, provided he was willing to sign on the dotted line for the long term.

But while Edmonton's future looks bright, the Red Wings looked like the best option to win in the present.

Hossa was the second player in as many days to come to terms with Detroit for less money that he could have gotten elsewhere. The Red Wings also re-signed defenceman Brad Stuart to a four-year, $15 million contract. Stuart's deal will average $3.75 million per season, or the same annual compensation as Mike Commodore received from the Columbus Blue Jackets on a five-year deal. Stuart or Commodore? It isn't even close in terms of their respective ability levels. One could make a case that Stuart, at this stage of his career, is a more productive all-around player than Wade Redden, who got $39 million over six years from the New York Rangers.

But that, in a nutshell, is the dilemma facing all the teams that want to unseat Detroit — good players gravitate towards winning organizations, especially when they're far-enough along their career paths that a million or more here or there isn't going to demonstrably affect their already healthy, head quality of life.

The risk for Hossa, who has been a remarkably durable player over the years, is that his good health continues. Hossa had major knee surgery in his final year of junior, but has been a picture of health ever since — missing just 22 games in eight years, 10 of them last year, split between the Penguins and the Atlanta Thrashers.

If Hossa blows out his knee again, then the decision to leave all that guaranteed money on the table may not seem like such a good idea. But for Hossa, the possible reward — a Stanley Cup — was worth it in the end.

It has been a decade since any NHL team won back-to-back championships. The last to do so was Detroit in 1997 and 1998. Accordingly, the Red Wings understand better than most the pitfalls that await a team the year after a Stanley Cup victory — the short summer, the need for motivation, the focus that every opponent has for the defending champions.

It is one reason why Holland, with no discernible holes in his team, wanted to make a couple of changes anyway — to ensure that the hunger is present again, when the team opens training camp in September. Some of that will come from youngsters, who didn't play much last season, but figure to have greater roles next year. Some will come from Hossa, who demonstrated how much he wanted to be part of their mix.

The Hossa camp understood Detroit's payroll complications. There were no salary-cap issues for the coming season. However, two years from now, or the 2009-10 season, both Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen, two mainstays of their Stanley Cup run, will be unrestricted free agents. The Red Wings goal is to get one and maybe both under contract for that year, as soon as possible.

It could mean Hossa's stay in the organization will be just one year. Or alternatively, if Hossa proves to be a good fit, they may juggle salary elsewhere in their payroll to accommodate a possible return.

"Success is about sacrifice — sacrificing ice time, sacrificing personal statistics, sacrificing some money," said Holland. "Success doesn't come easily. Marian, obviously, wants to come here because he thinks we give him the best chance to win the Stanley Cup. He's showing incredible sacrifice — and it goes to his determination and character and how important winning is to him, and playing with other good players.

"When you see everything that happened in our league, with the term and the security and then you've got a premier power forward like Marian making this marriage happen by agreeing to a one-year contract."

Holland said it back in May — that players come to Detroit for the hockey; they don't have a lot else to sell.

For some — often for the good ones - the hockey turns out to be enough.

It shouldn't be...but I have a strange gut feeling about this one...

2 things in recent history make me a little scared of this deal

1. the Tiger's offseason this year, where just about everyone thought they'd win the world series

2. the Kariya & Selanne deal in Colorado a few years back where they got great bargains and seemed like a sure thing to win the cup.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242261&amp...ain\\

Less than a month after being bounced from the Stanley Cup Final, Marian Hossa has decided to join the Detroit Red Wings.

Sources tell TSN that free agent Hossa has signed a one-year, $7.4 million deal with the Red Wings.

The $7.4 million that Hossa will earn next season, is the most Detroit would pay anyone - even an unrestricted free agent. The Red Wings were insistent that no one earn more money than six-time Norris Trophy winner Nicklas Lidstrom.

The 6-foot-1 winger scored 29 goals and 66 points in 72 games split between the Atlanta Thrahsers and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Hossa, 29, was acquired from the Thrashers at the trade deadline and helped Pittsburgh in its march to the Stanley Cups Finals. With 12 goals and 14 assists in 20 games, the 2008 playoffs went a long way to helping Hossa shed his reputation as a player that shone in the regular season, but struggled when it really mattered. As it turns out, playing Detroit in the Final helped Hossa figure out his future.

"It was a really tough decision for me to make,'' Hossa told the Canadian Press. "When I compared the two teams, I felt like I would have a little better of a chance to win the Cup in Detroit."

Originally a first-round draft pick by the Ottawa Senators in 1997, Hossa has been named to five NHL all-star teams and has recorded 299 goals and 648 points in 701 career games. Hossa was shipped to Atlanta as part of the Dany Heatley trade in 2005.

Hossa had reportedly received offers from Edmonton, Montreal, Vancouver and Pittsburgh. The Oilers were rumoured to be offering a deal that would pay $9 million annually to lure Hossa to northern Alberta.

Red Wings GM Ken Holland said he didn't think he'd be able to get Hossa, but it all came together when Hossa said he would consider a one-year deal.

"We're just very lucky," Holland told TSN's Michael Landsberg on Off the Record. "Heading in to July 1, there was two people really high on our list, Mats Sundin and Marian Hossa. We were dreaming thinking we could add either one of those to our team because we were looking at one year deals.

"I went to bed last night thinking we were going to be by the way side."

Hossa's agent, Rich Winter, called Holland in the morning and said his client was on the line and willing to discuss a one-year contract.

"I asked what they were looking for," Holland told Landsberg. "It was north of 7.5 (million). I told them I was uncomfortable (having Hossa make more than Lidstrom).

"In the end, Marian Hossa told me to not bother calling Nik, one year at 7.45 - it was a done deal."

I believe Mr. Stanley is staying put in Hockeytown... w00t!!

Welcome Mr. Hossa

I dont know what number he is going to use cause Malts is #18

so I just thought up a quick number i think is open??

iykhvr.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...ssa_to_sho.html

Talk about the rich getting richer. This is a stunning move.

Wings general manager Ken Holland said he made Hossa's agent, Ritch Winter, an offer of a long-term deal on Tuesday but the Wings couldn't compete with some of the more lucrative long-term offers he was getting. Holland was filling his gas tank at a Mobil station this morning when he got a call from Winter telling him Hossa would be interested in a one-year deal because he thought Detroit gave him his best chance to win the Stanley Cup.

"I was caught way off-guard,'' Holland said. "Shocked, was my initial reaction.''

Hossa said it boiled down to a choice of Pittsburgh (long-term) or Detroit (one year).

"It wasn't an easy decision to make,'' Hossa said. "In Pittsburgh, I had a great time. With Detroit, I feel I have a little better chance to win the Cup. ... I feel the team in Detroit is something special.''

Credit Wings forward Tomas Kopecky with an assist in the signing. He's close with Hossa, a fellow Slovak, and filled him in on what it's like to play for the Wings. Hossa obviously was very impressed.

Said Holland: "I was looking to do something. I never envisioned it would (have) this much of an impact. ... It obviously shows Marian's commitment to wanting to play with other good players. He's shown incredible sacrifice. Marian's really made this day happen.''

Before Hossa agreed to the deal, Holland had coach Mike Babcock call him and explain what his role on a team loaded with talent would be. Hossa obviously liked whay he heard. He said he especially likes the Wings' puck-moving defense.

Amazingly, he turned down more lucrative long-term offers. Edmonton reportedly offered him $9 million a season. The Wings couldn't afford to sign him to a real lucrative long-term deal now because they won't have the cap space in 2009-10 with Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen, among others, up for new deals.

Now Holland can talk to Zetterberg and Franzen and possible persuade them to take less so that the team will have room to re-sign Hossa next season.

"The hope is that this is one year of many years,'' Holland said. "It gives me an opportunity to sit down with some key players and hopefully find a way to keep everyone together.Hopefully the salary cap will grow and we can find a way.''

The Red Wings' payroll is at about $52.6 million. The cap is $56.7 million. They still need to sign Valtteri Filppula, Chris Chelios and Kyle Quincey. Two other unsigned players, Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Ericsson, won't count against the cap if they're assigned to Grand Rapids, as expected.

2 things in recent history make me a little scared of this deal

1. the Tiger's offseason this year, where just about everyone thought they'd win the world series

2. the Kariya & Selanne deal in Colorado a few years back where they got great bargains and seemed like a sure thing to win the cup.

Colorado didn't just win the cup if I recall correctly, as for the tigers....

They weren't really a well rounded team, they had an identity and strenghts and went out and tried to strenghten those up. Instead of sureing up their weaknesses.

We on the other hand won a cup and our greatest weakness was secondary scoring, though not enough to really stop us from winning. We just sured that up like no one could ever.

This is like if the Boston Celtics went out and signed Kobe Bryant this offseason.

EDIT: Oh and they got him to take 30 percent less then he was able to.

Edited by Majsheppard

I think some major praise may need to go to Kopecky as well.

"Besides seeing the organization from afar as an opponent, Hossa received some insight from his friend Red Wings forward Tomas Kopecky.

'I’ve heard a lot about things there from my friend,' Hossa said. 'I was in contact with him during the year, so we talked, and it’s an exciting time and I’m looking forward to it.'"

http://redwings.nhl.com/team/app/?service=...rticleid=367553

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

and that my freinds had to be Kopecky single biggest contribution to the red wings

Hossa is the man! He really wanted to play here. He offered a contract, not Kenny! This is crazy! Hossa must be tired playing in those we-will-be-good-someday teams.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

AMAZING

1 YEAR DEAL

PERFECT

WORTH 7.4

BUT NO MORE THAN THAT

IT IS HARD TO HANDLE THOUGH THAT WE CAN SAY AS RED WINGS FANS "MARIAN HOSSA IS OUR HIGHEST PAID PLAYER" I LIKED IT WHEN OUR CAPTAIN HAD THAT TITLE, OR DOES HE STILL?

NOW I AM CONFUSED.

ANYWAY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

AMAZING

1 YEAR DEAL

PERFECT

WORTH 7.4

BUT NO MORE THAN THAT

IT IS HARD TO HANDLE THOUGH THAT WE CAN SAY AS RED WINGS FANS "MARIAN HOSSA IS OUR HIGHEST PAID PLAYER" I LIKED IT WHEN OUR CAPTAIN HAD THAT TITLE, OR DOES HE STILL?

NOW I AM CONFUSED.

ANYWAY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nick is still the highest paid at 7.45M - Holland is quoted at TSN as saying that he didn't feel comfortable with anyone making more than Nick.

I am getting so incredibly hammered tonight.

It's my best friend/cousin's birthday today on top of my favorite player being signed. Is it 9pm yet? Work can't go by any slower. The 9 hour shift tomorrow is going to blow but meh, I'll deal with it

Guest mindfly

I just heard the weirdest theory... that wings are really thinking one step ahead of everyone knowing the possible value of hossa at the trade deadline i february, you think wings will play with hossa til feb then trade him for some major guns for the playoffs? or would that be just plain stupid? maybe depends on how he's performing of course.. but still

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I said in previous post that if I ever woke up to a Sundin-signing in Detroit I'd go insane. This is pretty much equal!

F*** YEAH!!!!