• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cicada

Marian Hossa a Red Wing, 1yr, $7.45m

Rate this topic

I just heard the weirdest theory... that wings are really thinking one step ahead of everyone knowing the possible value of hossa at the trade deadline i february, you think wings will play with hossa til feb then trade him for some major guns for the playoffs? or would that be just plain stupid? maybe depends on how he's performing of course.. but still

Doubt he will be traded as the Wings will not have the cap space to acquire other players if the contract is long term - I could always hope to trade Hossa to the Nucks for Luongo - but it will not happen...

By the way - what is up with the 'Eric Cartman' sketch in your avatar...

Edited by Rivalred

and that my freinds had to be Kopecky single biggest contribution to the red wings

Biggest? More like only! :D

Kopecky should be dealt to Pittsburgh, since according to them it's a slap in the face to steal there players. or whatever TSN said today.

I just heard the weirdest theory... that wings are really thinking one step ahead of everyone knowing the possible value of hossa at the trade deadline i february, you think wings will play with hossa til feb then trade him for some major guns for the playoffs? or would that be just plain stupid? maybe depends on how he's performing of course.. but still

I don't think that the Wings would EVER screw over a player that way. In my opinion that would make an organization as sleazy as it gets to get a player to take such a huge discount and a one year deal, knowing it was because he wanted to win the Cup, and then trade him away at the deadline. That would be a horrible way to treat a player and they would never get the benefit of the doubt concerning player contracts in the future.

...actually Hossa is Slovakian ;)

Yeah - if you look at a few later posts - yahoo has him as a Czech and NHL has him as Slovakian - yet I think on the Wings site they said he was Czech...

It’s believed that the Edmonton Oilers were also suitors in the Hossa sweepstakes, with a reported offer of as much as $9 million for the Czechoslovakian star. He indicated that he did not have discussions with the Pens about a one-year deal.

http://redwings.nhl.com/team/app/?service=...rticleid=367553

Country was one and then broke up - so it depends on how you look at it... :P

Edited by Rivalred

No chance. Who the hell would be available that's better than Hossa?

Hossa's about as good as it gets as far as forwards being available.

So do you guys think this is a one and done or could we potentially lock him up long term next year too?

Unless the cap magically goes up... a LOT... I really doubt this...

EDIT: I just realized my post sounded a lot more negative than I wanted it. Obviously, if Holland could pull it off I'd actually have to to a mental institution.

Edited by SweWings

So do you guys think this is a one and done or could we potentially lock him up long term next year too?

Holland's saying he wants to keep Hossa long-term. Holland's a cautious mofo, so him saying that leads me to believe he already has plan in place.

Well, Holland initially offered a long-term deal for less money and Hossa turned it down. The Wings want him long-term.

If the cap goes up it's definitely a possibility -- but Franzen, Hossa, and Zetterberg would have to take discounted salaries.

One thing that could work is if Zetterberg signs a one year deal knowing that Lidstrom will retire the next year and he can get a huge payday. But no one really knows if Lidstrom will retire or not.

Excuse me, but UN ******* BELIEVABLE.

Datsyuk Zetterberg Hossa Franzen. This time is freaking stacked. No team can compare to them! We already had the best defense, now we have, hands down, the best offense.

I never, never, never, never, never even THOUGHT Hossa was a possibility. Never.

Well, Holland initially offered a long-term deal for less money and Hossa turned it down. The Wings want him long-term.

If the cap goes up it's definitely a possibility -- but Franzen, Hossa, and Zetterberg would have to take discounted salaries.

One thing that could work is if Zetterberg signs a one year deal knowing that Lidstrom will retire the next year and he can get a huge payday. But no one really knows if Lidstrom will retire or not.

Nick isn't about to retire. He'll likely take less, but we've got a legitimate shot at a legitimate dynasty here. There is no team even remotely close to being as well put together as the Wings are now. He's gonna ride this baby out.

I can confirm (via Holland interview on WDFN) that Holland DID offer Hossa a long-term deal when free agency opened. Winter called him back and said they're receiving other offers at a substantially higher rate, so Holland thought (by Monday night) he was out of the running.

Winter called him up this morning and said he and Marian were talking about a 1-year deal and pitched it to Holland... the rest of the story everyone knows. ;)

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gtpFz--...qg1xXQD91LTR8O0

Right near the end. I guess he doesn't really come out and say it explicitly, but I assume "everyone" includes Hossa.

Somewhere (...?!) I just read/saw that Holland said yeah, he'll wait to see what next year's cap is and try to work it out for everyone to return. Hossa has also said he'd like a longer contract. If I can find it again, I'll throw it on here.

Somewhere (...?!) I just read/saw that Holland said yeah, he'll wait to see what next year's cap is and try to work it out for everyone to return. Hossa has also said he'd like a longer contract. If I can find it again, I'll throw it on here.

It's in the link I just posted above! (helllleeeuuu?!) Check out the second to last paragraph in the whole write-up.

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/

"Both sides said in today's press conference that they hope this will be more than a one-year relationship. Holland said that he'll have a better idea in the middle of next season what the 2009-10 salary cap will be and whether he can work deals with the players he has to sign for that season."

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/

I know that a lot can happen throughout a season but it is nice to know that Hossa might be interested in a long term contract. If he likes it here maybe he will take a discount that will still allow the Wings to keep Z, Mule, and Flip.

Who knows about the future, but for next season it's hard to imagine a better fit than Hossa. He"ll be one of your top forwards, in addition to the basic lineup that one the cup last year, and his natural style meshes perfectly with the Wings game. The rest of the leaguie is in trouble already.