• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

Where do you want the next Winter Classic be?

Rate this topic

Where do you want the next Winter Classic be?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Didn't the state of NY hold the previous WC??

I orginally thought of NYC, but what venue? the new Yankee Stadium? Giants Stadium? I find it hard to believe that Steinbrenner gives a rats ass about the NHL.

I actually voted for Denver. Invesco Field would be perfect for a west coast matchup of say Ducks vs Avalanche.

Eklund says it will be Bruins vs. Rangers from either Yankee Stadium or Citi Field. He was actually the first person to reveal this years as well.

That'd definitely be a winner of a matchup. Especially if those two teams stay as good as they are right now.

I orginally thought of NYC, but what venue? the new Yankee Stadium? Giants Stadium? I find it hard to believe that Steinbrenner gives a rats ass about the NHL.

If it makes Steinbrenner any money, he'll do it. And if he won't do it, the Mets would probably pony up their shiny new place.

Hopefully it won't be anywhere near Australia.

As others have pointed out, they don't know anything about hockey there. :hehe:

Lol. Not likely. It'll take some pretty crazy climate changes to make an outdoor game here possible at any time of the year let alone January.

"Inspector Gadget", aka Gary Bettman, will match up with who he thinks (or his staff tell him) are the next "Face(s) of the NHL" are playing. Last season: Pittsburgh (Crosby); this season: Chicago (Toews & Kane).

I really want this statement to not be true, but in my heart of hearts I know that this is exactly the case. <_<

Posted in another thread. My vote goes to either New York or Minnesota. Forgot about Boston though. I say go with a rangers vs. bruins game.

Also is the Winter Classic officially an annual event??

One of the issues for the Winter Classic going forward is how to get the southern clubs some exposure. It seems pretty obvious that Bruins/Rangers will be next game, but after that, how can the Winter Classic be used to draw attention to the teams from the south? I think they'll have to bring some of them north for games, but who and where? I liked the idea of the Stars playing the Wild in Minnesota. But other than that, there's no real natural rivalries. This will be a challenge in the future, because I think the event will lose steam if its the same teams playing all the time.

I voted for Denver merely because I might get a chance to go to the game. :P

I figure it would be Avs-Flames, or Avs-Nucks, since they are keeping to division rivals.

However, it is very doubtful that will happen for a few years. Unfortunately, I doubt the Wings will get to play in the next few either. Other teams will want, and deserve the chance.

Very nice job by the NHL today - I hope alot of people watched!

I doubt they would consider Denver... especially after it was almost 60 here today :hehe:

Our weather is too darn unpredictable for a Winter Classic I think.

I agree. I think the same things can also be said about Washington DC and New York as well.

Bruins Canadiens or Rangers would be nice at Fenway Park in Boston.

Detroit/Chicago at Toronto would be nice some time down the road as well.

Fenway Park...Boston and Montreal. They hate each other with a passion.

If not there, then Olympic Stadium in Montreal. Canadiens and Leafs. They also hate each other. It would be like the Hatfields and McCoys.

Based on New Years Day weather reports, every city in the league is capable of hosting an outdoor game. Generally, the temperature inside the building at an ice arena is kept between 55 and 63 degrees. As this will be dry, winter air, it will lend itself more to the ice-making environment and is less likely to cause bad ice like you might see in Dallas or Raleigh on hot, humid days when artificial ice is difficult to maintain, even indoors.

Don't be surprised if the Winter Classic stays in the north in the next few years, but New Years weather says that artificial ice can be easily maintained in a southern stadium. More likely a baseball park due to the extra preparation time that would provide, but the south nonetheless.