• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mjlegend

"I forgot he was a Red Wing!"

Rate this topic

hahah solid thread.. some of these names are awesome. Im a big fan of Wings backups, and Marc Lamothe is one I completely forgot about.

Opened up a program from the 97 Cup year and saw a pic of Maxim Kuznetsov under the "in the system" section

Jesse Wallin was on the roster when I used to play NHL 2003, always remember Don Taylor pronouncing it Wall-een

I can't believe some of the names I am hearing. Ysebart, Burr, Murphy, Fedorov, Coffey, Chevlade, Shanahan. Why not say Yzerman and be done with it.

Some are good tho. Essensa, Ranford come to mine for me. I think the player I always look back on and go "i dont remember him as a red wing" is Adam Graves tho. I remember watching the wings in the 80s..but honestly can't picture him in a red wings sweater. Always jump to his days with the Rangers.

Great thread. Fun memories.

I tend to forget that guys who are now coaching or have moved on to other areas of hockey were once players.

Holland (as mentioned), Nill, and McCrimmon all played once, and Ted Nolan was once a Wings player.

Yeah, I looked it up. I didn't really remember on my own. I really did forget he was a Red Wing.

Edited by 55fan

Dougie Brown. Hard worker, scored a few clutch goals in the playoffs when we needed it. I forgot all about him until I watched some of the full games on the Red Wings DVD set.

:blink:

How can you forget the Grim Reaper?

He wasn't yet in his prime when he was in Detroit, but he still kicked some ass while he was here.

Seconded. Hell, I can barely remember the other teams he played for.

I can't believe some of the names I am hearing. Ysebart, Burr, Murphy, Fedorov, Coffey, Chevlade, Shanahan. Why not say Yzerman and be done with it.

Seconded also. I mean, really, Slava Kozlov? People are forgetting one of the key ingredients to two Cups and a member of one of the most celebrated units of this Wings era?

Dave Hanson (of Slapshot fame) played 11 games for the Wings in '79.

Doug Harvey was actually a Wing for 2 games (we should retire his jersey) in '67.

Glenn Hall (pioneer of the butterfly style and top 5 goalie of all-time) was brought up by the Wings, back-stopped a few games in '52 and got his name on the Cup. The next year he won the Calder as a Wing and was soon traded to Chicago with Ted Lindsay. Won a Cup with Chicago (over the Wings in the Finals).

Edited by egroen

Dave Hanson (of Slapstick fame) played 11 games for the Wings in '79.

Doug Harvey was actually a Wing for 2 games (we should retire his jersey) in '67.

Glenn Hall (pioneer of the butterfly style and top 5 goalie of all-time) was brought up by the Wings, back-stopped a few games in '52 and got his name on the Cup. The next year he won the Calder as a Wing and was soon traded to Chicago with Ted Lindsay. Won a Cup with Chicago (over the Wings in the Finals).

yeah its going to be kind of hard for most of us to remember them.....i would think for you as well since you are only 32. :)

Joe Murphy, Greg Johnson, Yan Golubovsky, Mathieu Dandenault, Sean Avery, Terry Murray (I didn't know this?), Josh Langfeld

and Luc Robitaille who I always liked and was pretty excited when we signed him.

No kidding, Robitaille was awesome to watch. Even though he had a rough season, I was still upset when the Wings let him go in the 2003 season. If I remember correctly everyone was saying he was washed up, and then he went and had a great season as soon as the Wings let him go.

EDIT: I also remember names like Maracle, Wregget, Gill, etc. from the video games a few years back. Man, memories.

Edited by VM1138

Dave Hanson (of Slapstick fame) played 11 games for the Wings in '79.

Slapshot? :blink:

Sam St.Laraunt Wore the JASON style goalie mask... Glen Hanlon?

Sheldon Kennedy- Robert (Ro-Bear) Picard , Delorme, Tony McKegny, Brad Marsh (Swampy)

Alan Bester Troy Crowder all i can think of

Oh Brent Fedyk????? and Brent Gilchrist , Bernie Federko

Did Anyone say Boyd Devereux??? cant remember with all the names I was reading to get to this point

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

I remember playing as Bobby Dollas is some of the old Sega NHL games. I don't know how terribly notable of a name that is though.

Since you brought up video games, I used to love playing with Nathan Robinson in NHL01(?). Dude had wheels in that game.

But yeah, Nathan Robinson is another name

Daniel Shank, Marc Habscheid, and my all time favorite........Alan Bester. Bester played 2 and half games in a Wings jersey. I have a Wings jersey with Bester on the back, say hi if you see me in section 209!

Every now and then when poring over recent rosters, even for the Cup-winning teams, I look at the team and think "Oh yeah, that guy played for the Red Wings." It's either legitimate NHL regulars or guys the Wings have given a second chance.

1997 we had Dmitri Mironov. I'm totally spacing out on him when I think of that team. Just looking today in 1999, we apparently gave Petr Klima and Doug Houda another look. I completely missed that at the time.

I could go on... Any others come to mind?

[

Colin Campbell for gosh sakes.
name='mjlegend' date='February 1, 2009 - 09:09PM' post='1534131]

Every now and then when poring over recent rosters, even for the Cup-winning teams, I look at the team and think "Oh yeah, that guy played for the Red Wings." It's either legitimate NHL regulars or guys the Wings have given a second chance.

1997 we had Dmitri Mironov. I'm totally spacing out on him when I think of that team. Just looking today in 1999, we apparently gave Petr Klima and Doug Houda another look. I completely missed that at the time.

I could go on... Any others come to mind?