• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
agent37x

Tuukka Rask goes nuts

Rate this topic

He just loses his mind at the end. I don't blame him for being pissed - I thought a poke check counted as a save? Seemed like that first shot...well, I thought he saved it. I guess I can't really tell whether he touched the puck or not.

I always thought that the poke check counted as a save as well.. heh. Detroit needs to trade for him :) See someone take a run at Datsyuk and Rask comes flying down and spears the guy and whoops his ass would be awesome haha :) but that was pretty sweet, dude flipped.

He flipped, but he has a case. A poke check is a save and the play was dead there, so no goal. The last goal you can't tell because of the video quality plus there was no replay. The AHL really needs to institute the ability to review plays like that.

Edited by Mike

Can't say I blame him, at least regarding the poke check. I thought that should have been called for sure. Even if the goalie didn't really hit it, I would have figured it would be blown dead as the player didn't keep continuous movement on it...

The post call would be pretty hard for the refs to call for sure without video replay (ala Lebda's goal in the Winter Classic). I don't know for sure, but I'm betting the AHL doesn't have the same kind of video replays that the NHL does.

If nothing else, at least you know your goalie is fired up. In the end, if it's something that motivates your goalie, it's not such a bad thing. Unless you miss the playoffs by the one missed point, that is...

How come refs are so untouchable? Sure that goalie is going to get a suspension for his awsome display of passion (it would've only been not awsome if he didn't have a case) but the ref clearly missing the poke check as well as the stop in flow (I don't know if he missed it actually, seems like he's just an idiot) is going to get off scott free. Am I the only one who get angered as all hell by the thought of refs being so god damn mighty?

How come refs are so untouchable? Sure that goalie is going to get a suspension for his awsome display of passion (it would've only been not awsome if he didn't have a case) but the ref clearly missing the poke check as well as the stop in flow (I don't know if he missed it actually, seems like he's just an idiot) is going to get off scott free. Am I the only one who get angered as all hell by the thought of refs being so god damn mighty?

I agree with you, but there's not much the league can do. Fine him and say that his seeing is off or his judgment is wrong? Redo the game? Suspend him for saying that he couldn't see where a 60 mp/h shot hit?

Like I said, I totally agree that they get off scott free, but it's hard to see what anyone could do.

I agree with you, but there's not much the league can do. Fine him and say that his seeing is off or his judgment is wrong? Redo the game? Suspend him for saying that he couldn't see where a 60 mp/h shot hit?

Like I said, I totally agree that they get off scott free, but it's hard to see what anyone could do.

I'm not really talking about the post or no-post shot, I'm just talking about the poke check and the stop in flow, which even on the poor quality video is as plain as day--no one could miss that. Refs make bad calls here and there, but when one happens to stick out this badly (as well as shift the outcome of the game entirely), something should be done.

Stuff like this is the Bertuzzi fighting incident of bad calls.

Guest CaliWingsNut

This is awesome.

As for Referees... it should not be a secure job, and should be based on percentages of correct calls randomally verified by video replay after games.

The play was fine until he skated backwards when he got near the goalline AFTER the pokecheck. The rule states that the puck/player have to be in continuous motion to the goalline (as in, always moving towards the end of the rink, not counting dekes). The puck AND player continued skating towards the goalline the whole time, the ref was just standing there and the player had to skate back (albeit only slightly) to make room to shoot the puck. But even though it was a severe angle, the shooter did an excellent job until the end when it should've been whistled. Lame call. The crossbar call should never have had to have been made.

I'm not really talking about the post or no-post shot, I'm just talking about the poke check and the stop in flow, which even on the poor quality video is as plain as day--no one could miss that. Refs make bad calls here and there, but when one happens to stick out this badly (as well as shift the outcome of the game entirely), something should be done.

Stuff like this is the Bertuzzi fighting incident of bad calls.

Post, or no-post call aside, what's the NHL/AHL to do? "Jee, Larry - You sure dropped the ball on that shootout last night. You should get your vision/sanity checked out. P.S., you're officiating the Maple Leafs game on Saturday; make sure they lose."

There's really not the league can do that wouldn't piss of the Ref's union.

I don't think he made the poke check. It looks like the shooter pulled it back before the goalie made contact.

It looks like he was deciding weather or not to shoot it since he had lost control and when he does the ref awarded the goal. I do think he lost control of the puck and the goal should not have counted.

The ref was probably debating what to do and decided to err on the side of awarding the goal.

Im soccer in the UK if a referee makes a bad decision like that one... they get moved down a league... dunno if this could translate to this situation?

Rask definitely did NOT make the poke check. The puck continued moving towards the goal line the whole time; had the check been made, it moves back towards the blue line. And the skater's only backwards movement was to turn around and shoot the puck, which can be argued as a deke. At best, Rask has a case that the play should be reviewed. Not sure on what the AHL rules are on shootout reviews. The crossbar goal, Rask HEARD it hit the post or crossbar, and the ref was clearly and immediately in an argument with him saying it went off the back bar. That would suggest that the ref SAW it go off the back bar, which means that the ref saw the shot the whole way, in and out.

So I'm going against the grain and saying the ref got it right here.