• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wmubronco420

Stanley Cup Finals Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

For all the talk about how Crosby and Malkin are a year more mature and playing well and the defense is improved I notice not many Pens fans are talking about Marc Andre-Fleury and that he's not playing nearly as well as he was last year.

If you have issues in net vs the Red Wings you have tee times

I'll give you my outlook on this series. I've been predicting this matchup for the cup for along time this year. Well I figured it would either be the Pens or the Bruins... Sorry Bruins.

Detroit will win in 5 games. Oh you want to know why? alright.

The Penguins are going to have a hard time containing all the Detroit scorers. They have nearly two lines of players that wouldnt even crack our lineup. All four of our lines have been scoring, most of their production can be tracked back to two people (26 of 65 goals scored from two players) From there the offense really drops off fast. In contrast, the redwings are much more spread out, scoring throughout their lines.

Defensively, our lines are much better than the Pens. From our forwards to our defenseman Line by line the wings are better, especially if Lidstrom returns.

Goaltending - Ozzie is doing great. He'll continue to do well.

For all the talk about how Crosby and Malkin are a year more mature and playing well and the defense is improved I notice not many Pens fans are talking about Marc Andre-Fleury and that he's not playing nearly as well as he was last year.

If you have issues in net vs the Red Wings you have tee times

This,

Historically there's only been a few stratigies that have seemed to beat the wings

A. Your team goons it up

B. We're to injured to compete

C. Your goalie plays out of his mind.

So far the top two havn't worked for either the ducks or the hawks. Ergo, wings in 6. Fleury hasn't been strong, he also has a serious case of "can'twinthebigone" Going all the way back to the world juniors. Fleury doesn't scare me at all.

To add to this.. from a coaching standpoint:

If you have ZDH as the first line, and you decide to cover them with your best shut down line, you still have to worry about the giddyup line with Hoss, Filp, and Mule on it, and we know they can score. So you think Dats and Zetterberg are cold, you switch your shut down line to cover the Giddyup line, seriously, is that smart? We've all seen how explosive Dats and Z can be if you take them for granted.

I dare you Pens, believe that Datsyuk and Zetterberg are cold.... Don't take them serious for one game, and see where it gets you.

If you have ZDH as the first line, and you decide to cover them with your best shut down line, you still have to worry about the giddyup line with Hoss, Filp, and Mule on it, and we know they can score. So you think Dats and Zetterberg are cold, you switch your shut down line to cover the Giddyup line, seriously, is that smart? We've all seen how explosive Dats and Z can be if you take them for granted.

I dare you Pens, believe that Datsyuk and Zetterberg are cold.... Don't take them serious for one game, and see where it gets you.

Most teams we've played have figured out a way to compete with those two senaros. They lock down both lines as best as they can,..then just when they think they've got it helm, cleary, hudler dominate a game.

Seriously folks, this teams depth is stupid. Everyone in the hockey world knows that if you lock down malkin and crosby the pens are sunk. Heck, if Washingtons goalie and D hadn't crapped the bed in game 7 we'd probably be playing them.

Wings in 6. This is going to be hard, and not even close to walk in the park, so all of you saying Wings in 4 or 5.....what are you smoking?

Who knows when we'll get Nick, Pavs, Drapes and Ericsson back or what shape they'll be in when they get here. I think we'll win but it won't remotely be close to easy.

Nothing. The Pens are good, but if the Wings are healthy they'll be completely fine. In my eyes, Anaheim was and will stand as the toughest series for the Wings in the '09 playoffs.

I usually pick Wings in 6 or 7 and wouldn't be surprised if it went to that, but I just got a feeling. Doesn't mean I'm 'smoking' something.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

Seven games, no team wins on the road. Wings 4-3

I have an uneasy feeling about this series but I'm confident we can pull it off.

I make this post in my last class in high school.

I'll finally be out of school to watch a wings series.

So if we win, i'll see yall at the parade. :thumbup: :thumbup:

All these uneasy feelings just mean we know it will be a good match up. Many felt the same way with the Ducks. It just means it will be a great series to watch.

Okay, Malkin and Crosby are hot. Putting our top lines out to shut them down is a very good strategy and guys like Hank and Dats may have not been putting up the O, but I will put money on them for putting up the D any day. With them contained , scoring, but not at will and nowhwere near how they have scored on lesser teams of late, what else do they have? Not much. What else do we have? Oh boy, start with Flip, Help, Clearly not to mention Leino, Sammy...

Top lines - stalemate

Goalies - even

Coaching - even

Depth - Wings major advantage

Wings in 6.

I think it'll be a better matchup than last year because of our injuries and the revenge factor...but I could still see the wings winning it in 5 or 6. Last year it could have easily been 5 if not for help from the refs...

We'll see I guess. I'm uneasy, but I still also believe that Anaheim was the toughest test.

Love it.

Naw, we don't need those jokers. We've outscored our opponents at a 4-1 ratio when both of them were not in the lineup.

:confused1:

Statistics are not always reliable.

Ask anyone who knows stats- you can't base a conclusion on a sample size of 2.

Statistics have to be used properly. Give me a 15-25 game average based on this situation and I'd say we could be confident in it.

See, to me, it's not JUST the health of our guys, but what's left in the tank in those who actually do take the ice. I'd suggest that the Ducks series took more out of our guys than the Caps series did out of the Pens. Not to mention that the Hurricanes mailed in their series v the Pens while the Hawks pressed for 5 games straight.

What's left in the legs? The reason this is so important is that Detroit beat Pittsburgh to all the loose pucks and won all the 50/50 battles last year and this was the key to winning the series. Detroit is deeper and even more talented two-way than last year. But guys like Stuie and Kronner have logged minutes that are fit only for bionic men like Lidstrom. Does this affect them in this series? Game 2 will tell us what's left in the tank, as I'm sure all hands on deck will be flying on adrenaline for Game 1.

Is there any word of Datsuyk and Lidstrom playing other than that they are game time decisions?

well, theres another post that states that apparently ken holland believes dats and lids will be ready for game 1.

Is there any word of Datsuyk and Lidstrom playing other than that they are game time decisions?

There's a couple of threads on this already. Apparently Holland says he expects Lids and Dats "this weekend" other's have quoted him saying Lids was going to play and the others are "game day" decisions. Another quote I saw, claimed that Holland said Dats can skate but wants to get his "explosiveness" back.

on another note, i think this is the first time in any sport where a team's schedule hasnt changed at all despite closing out a series. What i mean is that if the wings had lost last night they wouldve played game 6 on Sat. usually when you close a series out early you typically can expect a few more days of rest before the start of the series. Not this year for the wings which to me is just bizarre and ive never heard of something like this except maybe in baseball.

and what other league would allow back to back games in the finals just because the TV network wanted them to? its a joke really