• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#1 Blueliner

Blueliner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

They need to win. Howard has looked terrible. 11 goals in three games doesn't get it done in the playoffs. Osgood is a proven winner in the playoffs. 74 career wins to 1. What do you think?

#2 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

They need to win. Howard has looked terrible. 11 goals in three games doesn't get it done in the playoffs. Osgood is a proven winner in the playoffs. 74 career wins to 1. What do you think?

Bryzgalov has let in only two less goals, and he has not been repeatedly hung out to dry by his defense.

#3 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

Posted Image

Osgood is not playoff-ready. Howard is the Wings' only shot at this point, and even if he pulls a Legace he will be the man we have to rely on in the playoffs.

Thread over.

Posted Image

#4 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

I knew this thread was coming. Hard to say what is going to happen though. That 4th goal Jimmy should of had for sure. I don't know if we should experiment right now though.

#5 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Wont make a difference if Detroit continues to play like thef****** Leafs.

O.o

#6 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:01 PM

Not a chance.

Sorry the Wings aren't a s***ty ran team like Washington that just changes goalies day to day.

Jimmy needs to prove himself, and the Wings actually need to come to play in front of him.

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:01 PM

If Howard repeats this s*** next game, then I wouldn't mind.

Too early yet to give up completely on the series. That's what putting in Ozzie would be like.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#8 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

Flashes of "No OsSuck, screw him" over the last 4 months are running in my head... To the OP's question, I wish I could say 'yes', I honestly don't think Howard could have a worse go his first playoffs, but Babcock "retired" Osgood in January and there is literally no chance Osgood would be able to shake off that much rust in order to turn it around.

#9 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

Howard will start game 4. If Howard doesn't improve, Osgood will finish that game and the series most likely. I get that the teams been rough as a whole, but Howard gave up some total backbreaker goals. The first in the first 20 seconds is brutal for a teams momentum, then the end of the 2nd and the worst, that 4th goal...he's gotta be making more of these saves. He absolutely hasn't been theJimmy Howard of the regular season. He had to do it all himself plenty of times, and now is is the playoffs. You need your goalie to be great in the playoffs. Any way you shake it, Howard hasn't been great at all in the playoffs.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#10 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

Our D can suck, but our goalie has to rob someone. I SAY OSGOOD.
40 for life.

#11 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:10 PM

Howard doesn't get to 74 playoff wins if you give up on him now. Ozzie wasn't always Mr. Playoff's you know. Not every goalie is going to pull a Ken Dryden in their rookie season. Extreme overreaction.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#12 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

Bryzgalov has let in only two less goals, and he has not been repeatedly hung out to dry by his defense.

On top of that this was Jimmy's first playoff home game-- we'll have to see how he bounces back. He's been able to bounce back really well so far in the regular season so I can only assume he will in game 4.

The point is that Howard is our goaltending future-- hiding him on the bench won't solve anything long-term.

Edited by Drake_Marcus, 18 April 2010 - 05:32 PM.

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#13 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

Howard doesn't get to 74 playoff wins if you give up on him now. Ozzie wasn't always Mr. Playoff's you know. Not every goalie is going to pull a Ken Dryden in their rookie season. Extreme overreaction.

There's a difference between trading him ASAP and sitting our rookie goalie on the bench to watch in exchange for the best playoff goalie of the last two years with 3 Cups to his name.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#14 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

As far as I'm concerned, I really understand that Howard is green in the playoffs and he was going to get some lumps. I'm more pissed off that Babcock bet the farm on Howard since December and now we have the best playoff goaltender in the last two seasons rusted pass the point of no return.

Babcock doesn't seem to inspire the team, he plays favorites constantly, and now he has a rookie goaltender that is looking pretty sad between the pipes while the one he owns a ring to is taking stats.

#15 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

I'll say no, but Howard might have a short leash in Game 4.

That said, if the guys in front of whoever is the goalie in game 4 doesn't sack up andf****** play hockey instead of soccer on ice it really won't matter much.
Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#16 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Someone should start a "30 posts for a game 4 win" thread.

You know, 30 as in Ozzie's number.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#17 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

You'd figure people around here would think twice before they count Osgood out. How many times does this guy need to shut up media and fans alike? But alas.

As far as Ozzie in for Howard? Tough one. Ozzie in the Philly game look horrible the first period (to be expected...hardly plays). But the 2nd and 3rd period he was getting better and better. Only let in 3 goals that game...rusty... I mean RUSTY. But the play-offs are a diffrent beast. Ozzie has proven he can handle it, but would it be enough? Honestly none of us know, not even the self proclaimed couch coaches.

After todays game, there's a time a time where a player has to step up big. It was Howies time to shine...he dropped the ball with that 4th goal. He knew it, just look at the body language after the goal.

I say one more game. If we win next game 6-4 or 7-5, I say play Osgood. Even rusty, against a high scoring philly team, he let in 3 goals rusty. If we lose big next game I say play Ozzie. If we lose 1-0 or 2-1..then I say keep playing Howie.

#18 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:17 PM

On top of that this was Jimmy's first playoff home game-- we'll have to see how he bounces back. He's been able to bounce back really well so far in the playoffs so I can only assume he will in game 4.

The point is that Howard is our goaltending future-- hiding him on the bench won't solve anything long-term.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,081 posts

As I mentioned in the GDT, I believe Babcock's married to him.

This may be a bit out of left field, but I think if Osgood had responded with a solid or spectacular effort when he made his start in Philadelphia then Babcock may look more toward him if Howard continues to falter in Game 4. As it stands, I'd be shocked to see Osgood in anything other than mop-up duty.

#20 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,041 posts

Not a chance.

Sorry the Wings aren't a s***ty ran team like Washington that just changes goalies day to day.

Jimmy needs to prove himself, and the Wings actually need to come to play in front of him.

This.

Howard would have to let in several Legace-like backbreaking goals before they should yank him to put in Ozzy.

And even then it would be a desperate move. The Wings would probably get a delay of game penalty as they waited for Ozzy to get all the dust off his pads.