• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Cheechoo Placed on Waivers

Rate this topic

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5337002

Five players -- Ottawa's Jonathan Cheechoo, Phoenix's Petteri Nokelainen and Jim Vandermeer, Florida's Ville Koistinen and Calgary's Ales Kotalik -- were put on waivers Monday.

If the players go unclaimed, they could be bought out of their contracts and become unrestricted free agents Thursday, when the free-agency period opens at noon ET.

Cheechoo, who won the Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy in 2005-06 after leading the league with 56 goals, scored five goals and added nine assists in 61 games this past season with the Senators.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone think we should sign him?

Personally, I say no. However, he could somehow return to his 2005 form, it would be a huge steal for what would probably be a cheap signing.

Cheechoo would be nice but it would have to be around $2-$2.5 mil. I think if he played with Zett it would be good, then stick Franzen with Dats. I could see him getting alot of energy knowing he has a chance at a cup and playing with a team he wants to be on (if we wants to come to Detroit).

Trust me. We don't want this guy.

Been placed on waivers twice, and makes 3.5 MILnext season. Just because we pick him up on waivers doesnt mean that he will be signed at league minimum. Went from 93 points to 70, then 37, 29, and finally 14.

Honestly, there is really no potential here for him to get 56 goals and 93 points again.

What part about Cheechoo's last couple seasons makes you want him to have anything to do with the Wings?

Sort of the same thing I have been pondering for the last 2 weeks of threads on this guy. We won't get him at the small price people think and he just isn't that 50 goal guy. Pass.

Anyone think we should sign him?

Personally, I say no. However, he could somehow return to his 2005 form, it would be a huge steal for what would probably be a cheap signing.

I'd rather have Miller or Eaves who were much, much, much more effective players than him last year.

If anything jumps out here to me, its Vandemeer... if he's bought out and we can sign him for cheap, he'd be a PERFECT #6 dman for us...

I have to agree here, he can put up points and is tough as nails.

Cheechoo I dislike in a wing wheel, he brings nothing we need to the table. Out of those five guys I like Vandermeer and Kotalik. At least they'd both bring good size. Vandermeer Id trust as our 6th and Kotalik could net you anywhere from 12-25 goals.

Edited by 13dangledangle

Cheechoo I dislike in a wing wheel, he brings nothing we need to the table. Out of those five guys I like Vandermeer and Kotalik. At least they'd both bring good size. Vandermeer Id trust as our 6th and Kotalik could net you anywhere from 12-25 goals.

Vandermeer would be decent, but Nokelainen is where its at. I guess I could take the argument that we dont really need any more centers, but this guy is right handed and destroyed us both with the 'Yotes and the Ducks - when speaking of faceoffs. Think of a younger, right handed Draper. Remember, Drapes isnt going to be around forever.

Nokelainen is one of the guys I have secretly been following. I love his play. If it is offense you want, dont hop off the trolley here. But if you want a defensively sound, right handed faceoff winner - this is the guy. I'd love to see him on the Wings.

The only way Cheechoo here makes any sense is if we hadn't already signed Bertuzzi. I understand some fans wanting him here because we are pros at reclamation projects in players. Cleary, Stuart, Bertuzzi.... that's just what we do now. But I say no unless he wanted to sign for league minimum after he's bought out.

Vandermeer would be decent, but Nokelainen is where its at. I guess I could take the argument that we dont really need any more centers, but this guy is right handed and destroyed us both with the 'Yotes and the Ducks - when speaking of faceoffs. Think of a younger, right handed Draper. Remember, Drapes isnt going to be around forever.

Nokelainen is one of the guys I have secretly been following. I love his play. If it is offense you want, dont hop off the trolley here. But if you want a defensively sound, right handed faceoff winner - this is the guy. I'd love to see him on the Wings.

I like your thought, but we are already stacked with defensively sound, faceoff winners... yes we could use a righty, but not so bad as to clog up the team. If we moved someone out then, maybe, but otherwise no. Stick with Vandermeer.

Cheechoo would be nice but it would have to be around $2-$2.5 mil. I think if he played with Zett it would be good, then stick Franzen with Dats. I could see him getting alot of energy knowing he has a chance at a cup and playing with a team he wants to be on (if we wants to come to Detroit).

sarcasm post of the year right there...I hope at least :P

I understand some fans wanting him here because we are pros at reclamation projects in players. Cleary, Stuart, Bertuzzi.... that's just what we do now. But I say no unless he wanted to sign for league minimum after he's bought out.

I would not use Stuart in that example more like Sammy, Miller, Eaves.

Guest Crymson

KOTALIK! get er done Kenny!

:thumbup:

Kotalik was terrible in every facet of the game in this last season. The Rangers managed to dump him to the Flames, and now the Flames are getting rid of him.

What part about Cheechoo's last couple seasons makes you want him to have anything to do with the Wings?

Because every single underachieving player in the NHL will instantly become the "next Dan Cleary" if they come to Detroit....

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Because every single underachieving player in the NHL will instantly become the "next Dan Cleary" if they come to Detroit....

So the vast majority of LGW would want to trade Cheechoo too?

So the vast majority of LGW would want to trade Cheechoo too?

Yes. Because it would give us the Cap Space to sign Kovalchuk and half of the Blackhawks roster at a 60% discount.