• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Blueliner

Lilja: Red Wings only team to offer contract

Rate this topic

I can't believe the people on here trying to send Ericcson down etc to make room for Lilja. If Lilja really wanted to be back he would've taken 500K less then he wanted just like guys in the past have. I mean if Yzerman takes a discount here then I'm pretty sure Lilja can too.

Very different scenarios. You don't think a guy who's been making up to 8 million a year has a bit more financial leeway to take a discount than a guy who topped out at less than a quarter of that.

Very different scenarios. You don't think a guy who's been making up to 8 million a year has a bit more financial leeway to take a discount than a guy who topped out at less than a quarter of that.

Yeah, 500k is a bigger deal to someone making 1-2 million than to someone make 7-8. I imagine a lot of those health costs came out of his pocket.

I'm not sure what the Wings pay for with their players, but I know there's some quite expensive stuff that pro sports teams don't pay for. Add in not only the risk they take when playing, but being away from their families, paying moving costs all the time when they switch teams, health bills, paying for houses, and that 500k disappears fast for someone making 1-2 million.

Yeah, 500k is a bigger deal to someone making 1-2 million than to someone make 7-8. I imagine a lot of those health costs came out of his pocket.

I'm not sure what the Wings pay for with their players, but I know there's some quite expensive stuff that pro sports teams don't pay for. Add in not only the risk they take when playing, but being away from their families, paying moving costs all the time when they switch teams, health bills, paying for houses, and that 500k disappears fast for someone making 1-2 million.

Give me a break. The average American 25 or over makes $32,140 a year. Lilja shouldn't have been greedy. With all the costs you listed he could still have lived the life of a king. Pro sports athletes are so money hungry is isn't even funny.

OK someone educate me as to why people refer to Lilja as "pain train"? I cannot figure it out, is it a compliment, or a diss?

Be careful what you say about LIlja and a Pain Train reference...I got about -6 for insinuating that the nickname was laughable. I also went on to explain how i feel Lilja is overrated on the Wings but not in the NHL, as evidence by his no contract offer.

Im assuming its because he's a "hitter" (not my words)....the only thing he hit was the ice when he tried to kill a penalty.

My thoughts: Pain Train is derived from him getting his ass beat so bad in a fight, that he had a concussion/head aches for over a year, and thus he was always in pain, that felt like a freight train. Pain Train.......or was the train actually what the last blow to his head felt like. Either one im sure.

Be careful what you say about LIlja and a Pain Train reference...I got about -6 for insinuating that the nickname was laughable. I also went on to explain how i feel Lilja is overrated on the Wings but not in the NHL, as evidence by his no contract offer.

Im assuming its because he's a "hitter" (not my words)....the only thing he hit was the ice when he tried to kill a penalty.

My thoughts: Pain Train is derived from him getting his ass beat so bad in a fight, that he had a concussion/head aches for over a year, and thus he was always in pain, that felt like a freight train. Pain Train.......or was the train actually what the last blow to his head felt like. Either one im sure.

I can't remember the last time he caused another player pain so yes I agree with NotTooAbby when he said the name is a shot at him.

Give me a break. The average American 25 or over makes $32,140 a year. Lilja shouldn't have been greedy. With all the costs you listed he could still have lived the life of a king. Pro sports athletes are so money hungry is isn't even funny.

Lilja is not greedy, like someone said he could have paid for a lot of his medical expenses out of his own pocket and that comes at a pretty high cost. I know for certain that he does not live in luxury, he didn't have some huge mansion and drive extravagant cars, but I'm sure he is paying to maintain two households, one here and one in Sweden. You shouldn't make assumptions based on the fact that he made $1 million a season. Everyone lives differently and with very different amounts of income.

The injury definitely changed the way he played the game after he came back. Post-injury Lilja was not as physical (hitting/fighting - which I can understand due to the nature of the injury). That alone dropped his net worth.

I understand the frustration obviously, but I wouldn't feel too much regret if I was him. Greed is natural in all of us, it's just a matter of how much we think is unrealistic. I don't blame Lilja for wanting more of an opportunity/more money, I don't think it was too much of a stretch to ask what he was asking for in $1.5 million a year.

Wings mgmt. did what they had to do in the business sense. I understand not offering Lilja more money.

Hopefully Lilja can find an opp. somewhere.

Guest mindfly

I understand the frustration obviously, but I wouldn't feel too much regret if I was him. Greed is natural in all of us, it's just a matter of how much we think is unrealistic. I don't blame Lilja for wanting more of an opportunity/more money, I don't think it was too much of a stretch to ask what he was asking for in $1.5 million a year.

Wings mgmt. did what they had to do in the business sense. I understand not offering Lilja more money.

Hopefully Lilja can find an opp. somewhere.

When you have been away for a year with a very serious concussion it's absurd to ask for such a contract, lebda may be a worse player but atleast he was healthy...

When you have been away for a year with a very serious concussion it's absurd to ask for such a contract, lebda may be a worse player but atleast he was healthy...

Lebda also got kind of lucky that his former college coach is now the assistant gm in Toronto.

Lils may not be as connected.

I like Lilja and all, but I don't feel sorry for him one bit. He made his bed. It's his own fault for not realizing that salaries are going to be affected in the NuNHL. I don't even play and I knew that players were gonna have to settle for less to be on a contending team. Especially a player like Lilja. He's a fool imo.

Guest CaliWingsNut

You guys keep pressing on salary... he wanted a bigger role and more ice time.