• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

I went to see the Wings in Atlanta and saw a guy sporting a Krupp jersey.

I saw a guy at a Wild game with one.
Posted Image
He said he wanted something different.

I am so mad at Lilja's agent right now, but I have to lay some of the blame on Andreas himself.

#42 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

Uwe Krupp has a stanley cup winning goal on his resume, pretty good...

#43 HenryMalredo

HenryMalredo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

I'm not going to blame Lilja or call him greedy. He and his agent misjudged the market and how his injuries would effect his worth. As far as I know, Lilja's been cleared to play so he sees himself as healthy. He knows he's a decent physical defenseman who could probably play in the top four on another team, but his injury has hurt his value.

#44 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

I thought Lilja originally made the decision knowing how much (or rather how little) ice time he would get?

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 19 August 2010 - 06:25 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#45 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:38 AM

someone actually purchased a Lilja jersey?

my god...

I did too. There are more of us than you'd think. Wings fans that I encountered at the last Devils/Wings game at The Rock absolutely loved it.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#46 best poster in LGW history

best poster in LGW history

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

I did too. There are more of us than you'd think. Wings fans that I encountered at the last Devils/Wings game at The Rock absolutely loved it.

you are a very troubled soul.

i will pray for you.

#47 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

Posted Image

WTF is this all about lol
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#48 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,959 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

That's unfortunate for him.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#49 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

I can't believe the people on here trying to send Ericcson down etc to make room for Lilja. If Lilja really wanted to be back he would've taken 500K less then he wanted just like guys in the past have. I mean if Yzerman takes a discount here then I'm pretty sure Lilja can too.

Oh well Salei is better if healthy and came much cheaper, we improved on our team. You guys shouldn't be upset about this, we're in better shape to win next season.

Have fun taking your talents to the KHL Lilja.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#50 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

I'm thinking Janik and Ericsson on the 3rd defensive pairing..once Salei gets hurt..
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#51 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:55 AM

If he wasn't so greedy he could have been a wing by now, what was he thinking? He had a very severe concussion and head ache and he expects any team's to offer him 1.5M? Get Real Lilja.

lol greedy

#52 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

lol greedy

LULZ

#53 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

I can't believe the people on here trying to send Ericcson down etc to make room for Lilja. If Lilja really wanted to be back he would've taken 500K less then he wanted just like guys in the past have. I mean if Yzerman takes a discount here then I'm pretty sure Lilja can too.

Very different scenarios. You don't think a guy who's been making up to 8 million a year has a bit more financial leeway to take a discount than a guy who topped out at less than a quarter of that.

#54 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

Very different scenarios. You don't think a guy who's been making up to 8 million a year has a bit more financial leeway to take a discount than a guy who topped out at less than a quarter of that.

Yeah, 500k is a bigger deal to someone making 1-2 million than to someone make 7-8. I imagine a lot of those health costs came out of his pocket.

I'm not sure what the Wings pay for with their players, but I know there's some quite expensive stuff that pro sports teams don't pay for. Add in not only the risk they take when playing, but being away from their families, paying moving costs all the time when they switch teams, health bills, paying for houses, and that 500k disappears fast for someone making 1-2 million.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#55 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

OK someone educate me as to why people refer to Lilja as "pain train"? I cannot figure it out, is it a compliment, or a diss?

#56 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, 500k is a bigger deal to someone making 1-2 million than to someone make 7-8. I imagine a lot of those health costs came out of his pocket.

I'm not sure what the Wings pay for with their players, but I know there's some quite expensive stuff that pro sports teams don't pay for. Add in not only the risk they take when playing, but being away from their families, paying moving costs all the time when they switch teams, health bills, paying for houses, and that 500k disappears fast for someone making 1-2 million.

Give me a break. The average American 25 or over makes $32,140 a year. Lilja shouldn't have been greedy. With all the costs you listed he could still have lived the life of a king. Pro sports athletes are so money hungry is isn't even funny.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#57 NotTooAbby

NotTooAbby

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

OK someone educate me as to why people refer to Lilja as "pain train"? I cannot figure it out, is it a compliment, or a diss?

Be careful what you say about LIlja and a Pain Train reference...I got about -6 for insinuating that the nickname was laughable. I also went on to explain how i feel Lilja is overrated on the Wings but not in the NHL, as evidence by his no contract offer.

Im assuming its because he's a "hitter" (not my words)....the only thing he hit was the ice when he tried to kill a penalty.

My thoughts: Pain Train is derived from him getting his ass beat so bad in a fight, that he had a concussion/head aches for over a year, and thus he was always in pain, that felt like a freight train. Pain Train.......or was the train actually what the last blow to his head felt like. Either one im sure.

#58 Cheveldae32

Cheveldae32

OFD

• Gold Booster
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

Be careful what you say about LIlja and a Pain Train reference...I got about -6 for insinuating that the nickname was laughable. I also went on to explain how i feel Lilja is overrated on the Wings but not in the NHL, as evidence by his no contract offer.

Im assuming its because he's a "hitter" (not my words)....the only thing he hit was the ice when he tried to kill a penalty.

My thoughts: Pain Train is derived from him getting his ass beat so bad in a fight, that he had a concussion/head aches for over a year, and thus he was always in pain, that felt like a freight train. Pain Train.......or was the train actually what the last blow to his head felt like. Either one im sure.

I can't remember the last time he caused another player pain so yes I agree with NotTooAbby when he said the name is a shot at him.

#59 Feldmarschall

Feldmarschall

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

The name is a tongue-in-cheek reference to the fact that he was essentially our toughest player for a while but was an absolute pusscake compared to most teams' proper tough guys.

#60 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

Give me a break. The average American 25 or over makes $32,140 a year. Lilja shouldn't have been greedy. With all the costs you listed he could still have lived the life of a king. Pro sports athletes are so money hungry is isn't even funny.

Lilja is not greedy, like someone said he could have paid for a lot of his medical expenses out of his own pocket and that comes at a pretty high cost. I know for certain that he does not live in luxury, he didn't have some huge mansion and drive extravagant cars, but I'm sure he is paying to maintain two households, one here and one in Sweden. You shouldn't make assumptions based on the fact that he made $1 million a season. Everyone lives differently and with very different amounts of income.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011